Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've almost finished Naomi's Room. I want to make a serious effort today and tomorrow and get a couple of books finished.

Yesterday at a stall in a shopping centre I bought four books for €2.99 each - two were books I've read in e-form and loved enough to want in hardcopy: I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh and The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner.

I also picked up 13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough and The Tales of Beedle the Bard because I've never read those. Taking a chance on the Pinborough, she can be hit-or-miss.

Also bought Managing Anxiety with CBT for Dummies on my tablet - to read alongside the online course I'm doing.

Anddddd today I bought two books in the Gollancz e-book sale - Rawblood by Catriona Ward and The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.

My reading is all over the place and I'm devastated. It's my coping mechanism for life and it's unreliable. I'm currently still reading Ian Kershaw's To Hell and Back and picked up Selected Stories of Phillip K Dick.

Thinking of reviewing the PKD, I haven't written a review in ages.

Yesterday at a stall in a shopping centre I bought four books for €2.99 each - two were books I've read in e-form and loved enough to want in hardcopy: I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh and The Man From Primrose Lane by James Renner.

I also picked up 13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough and The Tales of Beedle the Bard because I've never read those. Taking a chance on the Pinborough, she can be hit-or-miss.

Also bought Managing Anxiety with CBT for Dummies on my tablet - to read alongside the online course I'm doing.

Anddddd today I bought two books in the Gollancz e-book sale - Rawblood by Catriona Ward and The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone.

I hope you enjoy all of your new books :). I liked The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

I've started to re-read Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 0: New Spring. I've been thinking about re-reading the series (it's one of my favourite epic fantasy series), and thought if I start in October and read one a month, I'll be finished before the end of 2017 (there are 14 books plus the prequel I'm currently reading). But I felt in the mood now (in September), so I started the prequel now. I'm really enjoying re-reading the prequel so far.

I have this on my Kindle but haven't got around to reading it yet. :doh:

I've been busy with work so my reading has slowed down. I'm still reading Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a good read, but I would say I liked the other two I've read by her, more.

I have this on my Kindle but haven't got around to reading it yet. :doh:

Really?! Didn't know you were an anxious person... or if I did, I forgot, I'm so sorry :/

I FINALLY FINISHED AFTER ME COMES THE FLOOD BY sARAH pERRY!  :party:  :alc: 

My god it was tedious. The woman can write but how she did not die of boredom writing that utterly mindnumbing non-event of a book I will never know!

I also finished Naomi's Room - surprisingly good, though odd and quite violent/graphic.

I've started reading The Call of Cthulu and other Weird Tales by Lovecraft, which is a mixed bag, and Rawblood by Catriona Ward, which I'm adoring so far.

Also planning on knocking off Danse Macabre this evening, as it's only 56 pages. With that, I'll be back up to 4 books ahead of schedule, and a good chunk into the ones I'm reading! Delighted I'm getting back on track.

Also planning on knocking off Danse Macabre this evening, as it's only 56 pages. With that, I'll be back up to 4 books ahead of schedule, and a good chunk into the ones I'm reading! Delighted I'm getting back on track.

It's great you're getting back on track :).

I didn't actually read much yesterday (only about 20 pages). I plan to read more today.

I managed to find City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare yesterday with the same cover on as my other 5 so I had to buy it. I've been searching for ages as I hate having a series of books and they not matching! I've still got the last three in the series to read too so I must get back into this!

I managed to find City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare yesterday with the same cover on as my other 5 so I had to buy it. I've been searching for ages as I hate having a series of books and they not matching! I've still got the last three in the series to read too so I must get back into this!

Which covers do you have?  I hope you enjoy the last three books :). I should still start the series.

I'm halfway through the Mortal Instruments series as well, enjoying them so far.  I've also got the Infernal Devices trilogy to read, have you got those?

I'm glad you're enjoying the series, I hope you enjoy the last books too. I've got the Infernal Devices trilogy as well, but I haven't read it yet. I'm unsure whether to start with TMI or ID, or maybe mix it up and read them in publication order.

I've read Beautiful Creatures (Kami Garcia) and I'm partway through Beautiful Darkness. As I bought the series on my kindle I have no idea exactly how far along that book I am! 47% total.

I also decided to relive a part of my childhood and read The Witches (Roald Dahl)

Just had another weeks holiday so got through some reading again.

The Games - James Patterson

The Little bookshop of lonely hearts - Annie Darling

Cherringham cozy crimes books there is up to 24 books in this series I have just finished book 3 - I read them on my phone when I am stood at the bus stop in a morning as they are so easy to read.

Lets play make believe - James Patterson - bookshot - read these at work during my 30 minutes lunch.

I'm halfway through the Mortal Instruments series as well, enjoying them so far.  I've also got the Infernal Devices trilogy to read, have you got those?

I havent got them yet but they are on my wishlist as I do love The Mortal Instruments series so hoping that these are just as good :)

I cant believe I put it off - I'm about a third of the way through and its so good :D

Are you going to read the rest of the trilogy?

I'm reading The Swiss Family Robinson today and probably tomorrow.

I'm reading The Swiss Family Robinson today and probably tomorrow.

Are you enjoying it?  :)  I know it's ridiculously dated but I like the film!  :blush:

I finished listening to My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal on the way to visit Claire, Kay and Alan today.  It was narrated by Lenny Henry, who did a great job. 

We had a lovely time together (as always) - I think we were in the cafe in Waterstones for nearly three hours!  I lost track of time so I've no idea how long we were there for as after we parted company I went and had a look round the town and a walk in the park before heading home. 

I'm still reading Lydia: The Wild Girl of Pride & Prejudice by Natasha Farrant, and I'm also still listening to The Immortals by S. E. Lister, but the narrator is not great so it's been a bit of a slog.  The story itself is interesting, and I've not long left to go now, so will probably finish it this week. :)

I've heard mixed things about Beautiful Creatures (and the rest of the series). Are you enjoying it? I quite liked The Witches when I was a child (and also as an adult). You're reading a lot of books at once!

I am enjoying it. Beautiful Creatures was better than Beautiful Darkness (so far anyway). I read it in a couple of days. I often read lots of books at once! Sometimes I just need something a bit different to reignite the flame of interest!

I also read Christopher Pike's Final Friends trilogy at the start of the month. Thought I'd have a bit of a nostalgia trip

Yep :) Ive got them on my wishlist and next time I want to treat myself I'm going to buy them :)

I hope you enjoy them :)

Just finished the third book from the Bridget Jones series. "Mad About The Boy"

Love Love Love that woman!

Also read The Kingmaker's Daughter and Macbeth and really enjoyed those two

I quite like the series too, I'm glad you enjoyed reading the third book.

I am enjoying it. Beautiful Creatures was better than Beautiful Darkness (so far anyway). I read it in a couple of days. I often read lots of books at once! Sometimes I just need something a bit different to reignite the flame of interest!

I also read Christopher Pike's Final Friends trilogy at the start of the month. Thought I'd have a bit of a nostalgia trip

That's nice to hear :).

What did you think of the Final Friends trilogy? I have the omnibus titled Until The End.

I'm still re-reading Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World, I'm on page 202 out of 800. Still a while to go!

Really?! Didn't know you were an anxious person... or if I did, I forgot, I'm so sorry :/

I'm a very anxious person.....always have been for as long as I can remember. When I was younger I thought I'd grow out of it by the time I was 30, but that didn't happen. I can manage it for the most part, but there are some things that I just avoid doing because of the anxiety it causes. :thud:

I've finished Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver and The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami. Both were good, though the latter was very short (could finish in less than an hour) and weird.

Now I'm reading Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes. I've just realised it's part of a series, but hopefully that won't matter.