Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

It's a little dry and the many intricacies of the way government was run makes it sort of hard to understand. I'm reading very early in Russian history in it right now (before Peter the Great) and I'm hoping it will pull together more when it gets to Peter. While I'm familiar with Russan tsars, the government is challenging to learn about.

I loved WWZ- soooo good! I hope you enjoy it!

Ah yes, I can understand that a bit. I recently started reading The Turkish Gambit by Boris Akunin (fiction) and there's a lot of talk about Russian politics. It all goes completely over my head. :(

I hope you give The Book of Strange New Things a try....I finished it earlier today, and really enjoyed it.

I wasn't too keen on World War Z. I didn't like the format of the book and would have preferred a more linear story.

Ooh, good news about TBoSNT!

Shame you didn't enjoy WWZ. Luckily I knew about the format of the book before I started reading it, and I'm OK with it so far. If I hadn't known, I probably would have been disappointed.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Dracula this morning.  Much, much better than I was expecting, and I really quite enjoy it, although I did struggle a little bit on the last couple of chapters which felt a bit rushed, yet also a bit drawn out - I can't explain it!  I think it was just the style of the last couple of chapters which was much more reportage as if from afar almost, rather than feeling in the action, as it were.

Bought The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald and The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ by Sue Townsend this morning, so those will be my next reads. :)

Ah yes, I can understand that a bit. I recently started reading The Turkish Gambit by Boris Akunin (fiction) and there's a lot of talk about Russian politics. It all goes completely over my head. :(

I had just been reading Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette and *whew* I found French royalty much harder than Russian. But I do have quite a bit of experience with Russian politics, it's mostly this early period of it I'm having trouble with, like 1300's. I even took 4 years of the language in high school :) I didn't see The Turkish Gambit on Amazon?

Finished reading Another World, the Tyne and Wear selection for the English Counties challenge. A decent enough read, without ever really becoming unputdownable. A bit more straightforward and less intricate than I expected from the blurb. 3/6

I finished it yesterday (we've just had a few days away in Newcastle!) and rated it 3/5. It didn't live up to my initial expectations.

It was your list in the top 10 thread that got me to read it :) For some reason, I'm not reading like I normally do, so it's going kind of slowly.

Have you read The Heart Goes Last?

I hope that means you are still enjoying it, even though it is going slowly. :hide:

I haven't read The Heart Goes Last yet. I was so sure I had it on my Kindle, but I can't find it on there! :dunno: I know my library has a copy, and it is one I want to read fairly soon but other books keep getting in the way.

I'm now reading Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver. Also, yesterday I borrowed A Wrinkle In Time (Madeleine L'Engle) and When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson. I haven't been that keen on Atkinson's books, but I was tempted by the fact that this one is (partially) set in Devon.

I bought and started reading Monsters by Emerald Fennell - read half of it in one day, finally a book that's making me want to read again!

Ooo!  I'm so glad you're getting on well with it! :smile2:

I've finished The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ and I'm going to start The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald next.

I am reading Pet Sematary. Very nearly finished and really enjoying it. Don't think I can give it 5 stars as Louis Creed is one of my favourite characters and I didn't want anything bad to happen to him or his family, but I know with King that's inevitable

I'm glad you're liking the book :smile2: I think I've read it, it's been ages though... The movie totally creeps me out!  :hide: 

Oh dear :(  Poppyshake read it rather recently and thought it was not nearly as great as the first novel in the series :( :( Shucks!! :( 

I'm currently reading a book by a Swedish author, and I don't think it's been translated into English yet... It's been compared to the 100yo. Man

I'm still working my way through my library loans (before they're due) and I'm currently reading Nick Arnold (ill. Tony De Saulles) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Schokkende Elektriciteit (Horrible Science: Shocking Electricity). So far it's nice, though it's not a lot of new information to me yet, because I studied chemistry (& a bit of physics). But I'm enjoying the illustrations, the humour and the way the information is told.

I finished The Sunshine and Biscotti Club and I've started Divergent by Veronica Roth - I havent read this yet but I've been wanted to for ages :)

I wish I could read the Divergent books for the first time again!

I've actually been reading! I stopped Alias Grace (for the time being) and picked up Ian Kershaw's To Hell and Back: Europe 1914- 1949. Just wonderful work by this British historian who I've always respected.

I hope that means you are still enjoying it, even though it is going slowly. :hide:

I haven't read The Heart Goes Last yet. I was so sure I had it on my Kindle, but I can't find it on there! :dunno: I know my library has a copy, and it is one I want to read fairly soon but other books keep getting in the way.

I'm now reading Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver. Also, yesterday I borrowed A Wrinkle In Time (Madeleine L'Engle) and When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson. I haven't been that keen on Atkinson's books, but I was tempted by the fact that this one is (partially) set in Devon.

I put it aside for now- my fault, not the book- but will definitely get back to it.

You know, after I posted asking you about Heart Goes Last, I thought I remembered you reading it. I thought I remember you not really liking it.

A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book as an early teenager :)

I finished The Sunshine and Biscotti Club and I've started Divergent by Veronica Roth - I havent read this yet but I've been wanted to for ages :)

I hope you enjoy Divergent :).

I read Philippe Lechermeier and Rébecca Dautremer - Het Geheime Dagboek van Klein Duimpje (Journal Secret du Petit Poucet) yesterday and I'll soon choose a next book from the pile of my unread library loans.

I'm getting back on reading track, wahey! I finished All Fall Down by Tom Bale, it wasn't great but I've heard his other book is better and I'm willing to give it a go. I finished my re-read of Salem's Lot, and I'm well into Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. Hoping to finish that by tomorrow, and then I'll be reading the novelette Dance Macabre, by one of our very own (former) board members.