Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

It's September :o! Time flies by, doesn't it..

I'm currently reading Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road. I'm on page 796 out of 1087. I hope to have it finished in a couple of days, so I can start read-a-thon-ing on Saturday. My reading slump / mojo problems seem to be over for now :).

What are you reading, or have you done any other book-related activities?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you reading, or have you done any other book-related activities?

Currently reading Jessie Burton's latest, The Muse.  About a third of the way through, and am gripped.  Interesting plot, intriguing characters, and I love the way she pins the setting so precisely and succinctly.

I've just started Another World by Pat Barker.  I'm not very far into it, but I'm liking it so far.   It's a Counties Challenge book for Tyne and Wear, and as we're off to Newcastle upon Tyne for a few days soon I thought it was fitting to start it now! :D

I am reading Pet Sematary. Very nearly finished and really enjoying it. Don't think I can give it 5 stars as Louis Creed is one of my favourite characters and I didn't want anything bad to happen to him or his family, but I know with King that's inevitable

Other books I am reading

Misbehaving by Sarah Harvey

This is boring for the most part. Somebody wrote a review of it on goodreads which I couldn't agree more with. How the book is just full of puns. It's gets irritating very quickly

Also reading By Myself and Then Some by Lauren Bacall

This is a lovely read. She has just met Humphrey Bogart for the first time. She isn't overly impressed with him at the moment so I'm interested to see how their relationship blossoms

I hoping to read more books in the Cousin's War series and some more classics this month and October

Finished The Muse in one huge gulp this morning, mostly whilst waiting in the doctor's surgery for an hour, and then couldn't put it down when I got home when I should have been working! Totally and utterly gripping, I didn't want to miss a word, and at least one twist that I didn't see coming.  No idea what to read next - need a breather.

Edited by willoyd

Morning, everyone :).  I finished The Diviners by Libba Bray last week and have started Blood Hollow.  It's the 4th book in William Kent Krueger's 'Cork O'Connor' series.  

I hope to find the next book in the series this weekend, since I know I'll want to continue on, and we'll see what else I can dig up.

I hoping to read more books in the Cousin's War series and some more classics this month and October

I absolutely loved The Cousins War series! Which one are you on? I read them all pretty quickly.

Noll- my Fire won't let me double quote for some reason, the movie for All the Light We Cannot See is out here soon. The two main characters had are actually together, which I thought was cool.

I started re reading the third Jack Reacher book, Tripwire, as I remembered Die Trying too much. I'm almost 30% in already, they read so fast!

Edited by Anna Begins

I bought Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Beaberlin and All The Light We Cannot See yesterday in Waterstones. Haven't bought paper books in an actual shop in ages!

I approve of book buying :D.

I finished Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road (after 2 weeks). I'm happy to have finished it, and am all ready to start reading my read-a-thon reads today. In other book related activity, since I finished GNR in the afternoon yesterday and I didn't want to start another book nor my read-a-thon reads shortly before Saturday, I instead spent a while window shopping for books online :D (it's my birthday in October).

I'm still early on in The Book of Strange New Things but I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't read any reviews about it before starting so a few things have caught me by surprise. :o

I popped to the library today, and borrowed A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. It was the cover that caught my eye but the blurb sounded interesting.

I started Dracula yesterday - never read it before, but it's on the English Counties list, so thought I'd give it a go. My preconceptions were that it would be dry and rather wordy but it's turned out to be very easy going, packed full of action, and I whizzed through 50 pages in no time! :)

My reserve copy of The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain came in on Friday, and I'm already halfway through it.

Sounds good :). I recently re-read the book and loved it all over again. I hope you'll enjoy the second half too :).

I'm reading my owned read-a-thon reads this weekend (for the read-a-thon), next up is A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 44: De Cock en het Roodzijden Nachthemd.

I started Dracula yesterday - never read it before, but it's on the English Counties list, so thought I'd give it a go. My preconceptions were that it would be dry and rather wordy but it's turned out to be very easy going, packed full of action, and I whizzed through 50 pages in no time! :)

I remember being pleasantly surprised by how easy Dracula was to read. :smile:

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's one of my faves. Wonderfully creepy, I thought.

Ooh, that's great to be reading Dracula for the first time. Hope you like it  :smile:

I popped to the library today, and borrowed A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. It was the cover that caught my eye but the blurb sounded interesting.

Wow, I hope that you like this one! :smile: It was a slow burner, for me, but then everything suddenly clicked, and it was a very memorable book.

Having to put my reading mojo on the back burner for a while, because my artistic mojo is going really well. 

But I have to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for the time being, as I have only 3 weeks loan from the library. It started slowly, with reading it as a stage play, but it is good now  :smile:

Oh boy I wish I could read Dracula again for the first time. 

I have finished reading 1913: The Summer of the Century by Florian Illies. The book is basically a random collection of facts from the year 1913 regarding the most important people at the time in France and Austria-Hungary. Sadly I am not exactly sure how many of these short stories actually happened. There are a plethora of characters in the book and I often had to write their names down and check them up later on the internet. I did find some interesting things this way but I feel that unless one is interested in that period of time or characters like Kafka, Freud, Jung, Picasso, Gertrude Stein and such, he or she will not have the patience to read about most of these people. 

I have started reading Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E.Lawrence. I'm not far into it but the writing is good and it's worth reading if it's at least as half as good as the movie was. 

But I have to read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for the time being, as I have only 3 weeks loan from the library. It started slowly, with reading it as a stage play, but it is good now  :smile:

Hey Marie! I hope you enjoy this 'book' / play :).

I'm currently reading Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: The Vile Victorians for the read-a-thon. So far I find it interesting. Since I live in the Netherlands, we weren't taught all of British history and instead had more Dutch and Dutch-related history in our history classes (and of course also world history such as the World Wars, ancient Egypt, Romans, ancient Greece, Middle Ages, Renaissance, and on and on. But not so much about the Victorian time area in Britain). So it's interesting learning more about the Victorians.

My reading is still moving very slow - I've got from being 7/8 books ahead of schedule down to only 3. I'm glad I'm still ahead, but I need to get back on track.. Currently about halfway through Salem's Lot, and I still have a couple of others I need to finish, one being After Me Comes The Flood by Sarah Perry. I'm about two thirds through that, I think, so hoping a couple of lunchtimes will get it finished.