Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

Perhaps more to the point personally, this was my sixtieth book of the year, only the fourth time I've topped this figure in a year, and the first time I've reached that figure before December (the previous earliest was last year, on December 5th). 

That's so nice, congratulations :)!

I finished Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter, which was quite enjoyable, and will pick a new book soon.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading the rest of the Preacher graphic novels fairly swiftly (which I thoroughly enjoyed), then it took me a fair few days to get back into reading Lord of Chaos (TWoT book 6) again. I'm just about barely doing one chapter a day, so I still need to gee myself back into a normal reading mode. I think a different book would probably help but I already feel like I've left this book to languish a bit too long already, so I just want to get through it as quickly as I can.

I finished reading the rest of the Preacher graphic novels fairly swiftly (which I thoroughly enjoyed), then it took me a fair few days to get back into reading Lord of Chaos (TWoT book 6) again. I'm just about barely doing one chapter a day, so I still need to gee myself back into a normal reading mode. I think a different book would probably help but I already feel like I've left this book to languish a bit too long already, so I just want to get through it as quickly as I can.

I hope you enjoy Lord of Chaos. It's true that the TWOT books aren't quick reads, and the chapters aren't very short. I hope you enjoy LoC, if I remember correctly, it's a good one.

I started to read Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts yesterday, but I only read 24 pages. I hope to do some more reading today.

I think 24 pages is a lot. Particularly on a busy day.

I am very late to the party, but I am reading Me Before You. Outside of the main plotline I can relate to Louisa in many ways.

I feel it becoming a favourite

I hope you enjoy Me Before You, I quite liked it (though it wasn't without its problems) :).

24 pages is about 20 - 30 minutes of reading time for me, for a medium paperback book for adults with medium font size (which is what I'm reading now, I can read YA and children's books quicker). On most days, I read for at least an hour, often more than two hours. Outside of the read-a-thons, I try to read about 100 pages per day. I don't always manage it, sometimes I'm very busy, going out or cataloguing new books or doing other things. But on most days I read at least 100 pages. So 24 pages isn't a lot for me, compared with most of my reading days.

I'm now on page 82 out of 421, so I read 58 pages yesterday. It's still not as much as I'd liked, but I was quite distracted by the internet several times. I read a lot on Sunday and Monday, so maybe that's another reason why I felt a bit less like reading the past two days.

I've taken to reading one short Lovecraft story on my lunchbreak every day at work, as I find it hard to pick up a novel during my lunch hour and I'm frequently so tired after work I don't feel up to reading. This, seems like a good way to try keep my reading up.

I read at about the same pace as Athena, approximately one page a minute if I have no distractions, so between my lunchbreak and a bit of time in the evening I usually aim to do at least an hour (or 60 pages) a day. Usually doesn't happen, because life, but I try.

Supermarket shopping is dangerous especially with the 2 books for £7 offer! Today I got Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas and also The Girl With No Name - Diney Costeloe.

Just jumping on the theme of how much you read in a day - I try to read around 50 pages a day - it doesnt always happen with an almost 2 year old but thats what I'm trying to do at the minute :)

I used to be in the 100 page + a day bracket but now i'm happy if I can do about 30 pages :rolleyes:  From time to time if I want to finish a book quickly I can still manage a 2-300 page blast, but that's basically with ignoring the telly & all the chores. ;)

I just popped into the library near work as it's in the same local authority as my one at home and I nearly got some James Patterson's out, as they had loads of new ones I'd not seen before. Now *they* were books that I could devour in one sitting and I read all of his when they first came out, but before too long I felt they got too diluted, more like large print books and his proliferation was too much for me to cope with so I stopped reading them. I still get tempted back from time to time though. :D  

In the end I thought I've got too many books at home to read so I probably shouldn't use the library at the moment. 

I've taken to reading one short Lovecraft story on my lunchbreak every day at work, as I find it hard to pick up a novel during my lunch hour and I'm frequently so tired after work I don't feel up to reading. This, seems like a good way to try keep my reading up.

I read at about the same pace as Athena, approximately one page a minute if I have no distractions, so between my lunchbreak and a bit of time in the evening I usually aim to do at least an hour (or 60 pages) a day. Usually doesn't happen, because life, but I try.

That sounds like a nice idea, reading short stories during your lunchbreak. Nice to hear we read at similar paces :).

Supermarket shopping is dangerous especially with the 2 books for £7 offer! Today I got Local Girl Missing by Claire Douglas and also The Girl With No Name - Diney Costeloe.

Just jumping on the theme of how much you read in a day - I try to read around 50 pages a day - it doesnt always happen with an almost 2 year old but thats what I'm trying to do at the minute :)

I hope you enjoy both of your new books :).

That makes sense :).

I used to be in the 100 page + a day bracket but now i'm happy if I can do about 30 pages :rolleyes:  From time to time if I want to finish a book quickly I can still manage a 2-300 page blast, but that's basically with ignoring the telly & all the chores. ;)

I just popped into the library near work as it's in the same local authority as my one at home and I nearly got some James Patterson's out, as they had loads of new ones I'd not seen before. Now *they* were books that I could devour in one sitting and I read all of his when they first came out, but before too long I felt they got too diluted, more like large print books and his proliferation was too much for me to cope with so I stopped reading them. I still get tempted back from time to time though. :D  

In the end I thought I've got too many books at home to read so I probably shouldn't use the library at the moment.

Ah, the dilemma. I love going to the library and coming home with a nice stack of books, and at the same time I also love reading my own books. You could always go back if you change your mind (and they have the books available).

This evening I bought A Head Full Of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay, been looking forward to this one since Disappearance At Devil's Rock and it just came out a couple days ago!

I hope you enjoy your new book :).

I'm making nice progress with Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts. I'm now on page 169 out of 421 (including a few pages of Q&A with the author), about 40%. I read 87 pages yesterday. I plan to read some more in the book today. It's interesting, I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm glad you're enjoying the Jodi Picoult! Just in case anyone is interested, she has a new book out on October 11th, Small Great Things.

Edited to add: it's about a black nurse delivering the baby of a white supremacist.

Edited by Anna Begins

Tried Cloud Atlas for the third or fourth time, but have definitively decided enough is enough.  I loved The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, but this was dreadful. Having said that, didn't read enough of it to count as being 'read', so I maybe am being unfair, but having dipped in to later parts and read the Wikipedia plot summary, I can't say I'm remotely inclined to carry on trying.  Really surprised, as was looking forward to this.

Edited by willoyd

Tried Cloud Atlas for the third or fourth time, but have definitively decided enough is enough. I loved The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, but this was dreadful. Having said that, didn't read enough of it to count as being 'read', so I maybe am being unfair, but having dipped in to later parts and read the Wikipedia plot summary, I can't say I'm remotely inclined to carry on trying. Really surprised, as was looking forward to this.

That's too bad... I've been waiting to read this for ages. :(

Edited to ask: have you tried The Bone Clocks?

Edited by Anna Begins

That's too bad... I've been waiting to read this for ages. :(

Edited to ask: have you tried The Bone Clocks?

Not yet, but it's my book group's choice for next February, so will read it over the New Year period.