Your Book Activity - September 2016

Athena

I started Dracula yesterday - never read it before, but it's on the English Counties list, so thought I'd give it a go. My preconceptions were that it would be dry and rather wordy but it's turned out to be very easy going, packed full of action, and I whizzed through 50 pages in no time! :)

I was the same when I read it a few years back - thought I wouldn't like it and thought it would be challenging but I ended up loving it and its one of my favourites now!

In my bookish news I brought Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading two books, re reading the third Jack Reacher book, Tripwire during the day and The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore at night. The Romanovs was a book I picked up because of a mention on here.

I'm not spending that much time reading right now, crocheting and watching crocheting videos on YouTube a lot. I'm almost done with a scarf!

I remember being pleasantly surprised by how easy Dracula was to read. :smile:

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's one of my faves. Wonderfully creepy, I thought.

Ooh, that's great to be reading Dracula for the first time. Hope you like it  :smile:

Oh boy I wish I could read Dracula again for the first time.

I was the same when I read it a few years back - thought I wouldn't like it and thought it would be challenging but I ended up loving it and its one of my favourites now!

Thanks everyone! :D I'm about a third of the way through now, and absolutely love it :smile2:

I'm towards the end of The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. Has anyone read this? I think it's amazingly well written. I know he wrote it when his wife was dying (or she may have recently died) and it really shows in the dialogue between Peter (the main character) and his wife. Such a good book. I just hope the ending is just as good. :readingtwo:

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird earlier this evening, I really should have read it sooner. My next book will be Shadows on the Road by Michael Barry which is about his life a pro cyclist for teams like US Postal and Team Sky.

I've read the Book of Strange New Things, but I'm afraid that I didn't come to the same conclusion. I think the writing is great, but the plot seemed ridiculous. Perhaps it was a metaphor for his dying wife (sad to hear), but read without that connection it just didn't work for me.

Finishing SnakeSleeper by Ann Chamberlin. Fascinating stuff.

Caught up with reading this weekend.  Finished all my part read books and then started on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, I loved the fact it was set out as a stage play, found myself reading it slowly though because I did not want to miss anything.

Also read Dead Heat and Hostage by James Patterson these are bookshots so only about 130 pages long. 

Looking forward to the next few days and picking out new books to read.

The Romanovs was a book I picked up because of a mention on here.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one!

I'm towards the end of The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. Has anyone read this? I think it's amazingly well written. I know he wrote it when his wife was dying (or she may have recently died) and it really shows in the dialogue between Peter (the main character) and his wife. Such a good book. I just hope the ending is just as good. :readingtwo:

I have this on my TBR pile. It sounds promising!

My next book will be Shadows on the Road by Michael Barry which is about his life a pro cyclist for teams like US Postal and Team Sky.

Do you know if he wrote this before or after his doping came to light? The next cycling book I want to read is The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton. It's supposed to be quite good. Have you read it?

I started reading yet another book last night: World War Z by Max Brooks. And today I received a new book in the mail: And Yet... by Christopher Hitchens.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this one.

I started reading yet another book last night: World War Z by Max Brooks. And today I received a new book in the mail: And Yet... by Christopher Hitchens.

It's a little dry and the many intricacies of the way government was run makes it sort of hard to understand. I'm reading very early in Russian history in it right now (before Peter the Great) and I'm hoping it will pull together more when it gets to Peter. While I'm familiar with Russan tsars, the government is challenging to learn about.

I loved WWZ- soooo good! I hope you enjoy it!

Decided that I'm going to have a splurge on some English Counties books, and see if I can get 3/4 of the way through the challenge by the end of September.  I'm currently at 30/48 read, so I only need to finish 6 books, and I'm already two thirds of the way through Dracula (although that's meant to be an alternative for North Yorkshire, and I've already read the main choice, so I've still got to read another six after this one! :D)

I've been reading the thread on our 10 best books. Grabbed a few suggestions from all of our lists. I've been struggling since Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette, but I downloaded some samples today and have been delighted by Alias Grace by Margaret Attwood. Others have got me excited about my third attempt at Crimson Petal and the White or given me a final push at Hilary Mantel's Wolf Wall, which I've been after since it's release.

Just for intrest, it fun to see what you posted too!

Edited by Anna Begins

I just started Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen! It is funny and the plod develops in a very interesting way. Not exactly my kind of reading though.

Yesterday a book arrived home. The Maverick, by Ricardo Semler, I better go back to reading before more books arrive!

See ya

Victor Zuanazzi

Edited by Athena
Promotional link removed.

i just finished two books: The Ghost in the Machine, Caroline Graham, and The Midwife's Confession, Diane Chamberlain.

What did you think of The Midwife's Confession?

I'm still working on my read-a-thon library loans but I'm making progress. I've still got to post about the ones I've read the past week (I think I'll do that once I've read more read-a-thon library loans), and I have new books to catalogue too from a book market a little while ago (and also a pre-order). I plan to do those things in a while, but I've been sharing my computer with my boyfriend, whose computer is broken, so I haven't spend a lot of time on my computer.

I've read the Book of Strange New Things, but I'm afraid that I didn't come to the same conclusion. I think the writing is great, but the plot seemed ridiculous. Perhaps it was a metaphor for his dying wife (sad to hear), but read without that connection it just didn't work for me.

Oh, that's a shame that you didn't enjoy it. I finished it this morning and loved every word of it. It seems to have really polarized people, judging by the reviews on Amazon.

I have this on my TBR pile. It sounds promising!

I hope you give The Book of Strange New Things a try....I finished it earlier today, and really enjoyed it.

I wasn't too keen on World War Z. I didn't like the format of the book and would have preferred a more linear story.

I'm enjoying Margaret Attwood's Alias Grace.

I loved Alias Grace, and have read it a couple of times. It's my favourite Atwood (so far).

Finished reading Another World, the Tyne and Wear selection for the English Counties challenge.  A decent enough read, without ever really becoming unputdownable.  A bit more straightforward and less intricate than I expected from the blurb.  3/6

I loved Alias Grace, and have read it a couple of times. It's my favourite Atwood (so far).

It was your list in the top 10 thread that got me to read it :) For some reason, I'm not reading like I normally do, so it's going kind of slowly.

Have you read The Heart Goes Last?