Madeleine's Book Log - ongoing

Thought it was about time I started a log on here.

Just finished the 7th book in the Poldark series ("The Angry Tide") which was hugely enjoyable but a little political occasionally as Ross is now a Member of Parliament.  But his rivalry with George Warleggan is as strong as ever, and his marriage to Demelza is on shaky ground, and their attempts to get back on track aren't helped by Ross's recklessness.  And there's a shock at the end too.  8/10

Also just finished Falling Love by Donna Leon, another entry in the Venice-set series featuring Commissario Guido Brunetti, who is called in to help when his friend, opera singer Flavia Petrelli, seems to have a stalker.  Probably not the best book I've read in this series, but still enjoyable, with it's cynical sense of humour intact.  7.5/10

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Poldark series on TV from the 1970's, liked it a lot.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poldark_(1975_TV_series)  I haven't read any of the books though.  Glad you're enjoying them.

I have read a few of the Donna Leon books, and liked them too. :)

Finished two yesterday:

The Woman in Blue by Elly Griffiths - 8th in the Ruth Galloway series of crime novels set in Norfolk, they're very easy to read and have quite a lot of dry humour in them, and Ruth is so likeable...her daughter Kate is now 5 and very much her own person, and Ruth finds it harder to balance work, home and helping the police with their investigation into the murders of a young girl and a woman priest, which seem to be connected.

The Coffin Road by Peter May - standalone novel set on the Isle of Lewis about a man with amnesia who is trying to find out who he is, and a young girl who is convinced her father, who supposedly committed suicide, is still alive and sets out to look for him, and a case of corporate greed and cover-up which seems to be behind it all.  A good read but not as involving as his Lewis Trilogy.

I'm all over the place with them, I first came across them round about book 12 or so, read the next few, then left them for a bit, and I still haven't read any of the ones before Falling in Love and after Through a Glass Darkly, although I did read the very first one last year.  But a character from the first book features strongly in Falling in Love, which was why I wanted to read it now, whilst the memory of the character was still fairly fresh in my mind.

Edited by Madeleine

Just got ... "How to find love in a Bookshop" by Veronica Henry.

I saw this in a bookshop today and almost picked it up, but thought if I pick it up and like the look of it I'll want to buy it, but it's a hardback and I only buy those if I know the author already, or if its on sale! Will be interested to see what you think of it :)

The Coffin Road by Peter May - standalone novel set on the Isle of Lewis about a man with amnesia who is trying to find out who he is, and a young girl who is convinced her father, who supposedly committed suicide, is still alive and sets out to look for him, and a case of corporate greed and cover-up which seems to be behind it all.  A good read but not as involving as his Lewis Trilogy.

This was an Audible 'Deal of the Day' book a few days ago so I downloaded it for us to listen to in the car.  :)

I recently finished (last Thursday) "The Magician's Assistant" by Ann Patchett, which I've had for ages and finally read as a book of the month on another book forum (I've had it for so long that I couldn't find my copy in all the book piles, and had to order a cheap used copy from Amazon marketplace :blush2: ).  The story mainly concerns the assistant, Sabine, who is in mourning after the magician, who's also her husband, dies suddenly and she finds out he had a family whom she knew nothing about it - he'd always told her that his family died in an accident when he was young; in fact he has a mum and 2 sisters alive and well and living in Nebraska.  He cut all contact with them when he was 18, although once his magic act became successful he started to send them money regularly, but they only knew of him through watching his TV appearances.  His mother and 1 sister visit Sabine in LA to see where he lived, and then invite her back to Nebraska, where she finally discovers the truth about his life and background, and why he moved away from it all.  I enjoyed this part of the book much more than the first section - it's split into distinct sections - although the dream sequences were a bit annoying, and at first I found Sabine a bit of wimp, but her character developed more once she became involved with his family, and overall it was a fast-paced, well-written read, which I quite enjoyed - 7.5/10

Edited by Madeleine

Just ordered 2 books from Amazon - "The Trysting Tree" by Linda Gillard, and "Who buries the Dead?" the latest in a series of historical mysteries by C S Harris, and I've also ordered 3 historical mysteries by Tessa Harris from a mail order book company.

I've ordered another Linda Gillard book from Amazon, "Emotional Geology" and also Rachel Hore's "The House on Bellevue Gardens" which came yesterday.  I've got another instalment in the Lymond Chronicles "Checkmate" on it's way, and I've also won a book to review from Library Thing, "End of the Roadie", can't remember the author but it's a light-hearted crime novel.  So my poor postman/woman will be quite busy!

Thanks Athena.

Finished "A night on the Orient Express" yesterday, it was a nice easy read, a bit predictable as it told of various people spending the night on the famous train as they head to Venice.  No real surprises as to how all the plot threads turned out, but some lovely descriptions of the train, and even better ones of Venice.  7/10