Hi there

Lilliputian

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so I'm a bit nervous about getting started. Always interested in intelligent novels with beautiful language and which don't follow the formula, e.g. Donna Tartt's The Secret History or Emma Donoghue's The Room. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Always interested in intelligent novels with beautiful language and which don't follow the formula, e.g. Donna Tartt's The Secret History or Emma Donoghue's The Room. Any suggestions?

Both of those are on my most favorite books -list! :) So going by my other favorites and your criteria, I would suggest :

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides 

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

Crippen by John Boyne

Gold by Dan Rhodes

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (especially if you like dogs and/or animals)

Under the Skin by Michelle Faber

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Edit: If you'd like to browse, here's a thread of the top 10 books, by the members of the forum. Feel free to contribute to the thread! :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

Wow, thanks everyone. I'm thrilled. I have read some of the suggestions, but will definitely check out the others. Thought-provoking novels are so hard to come by. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell is excellent if anyone hasn't tried it, as is SnakeSleeper by Anne Chamberlin.

Hi there, I'm extremely new so apologies if this reply randomly turns up somewhere it's not supposed to be. May I suggest Japanese books? In particular Natsuo Kirino. She has written a couple of crime novels that provide pretty gritty social commentary on modern urban Japan, yet presented in oddly simple and beautifully crafted prose. Sounds pretentious but I promise that it's not! If you want gritty crime, try her novel "Out" (sorry, I don't know how to do the bold text thing). If you want a more adult theme, try "Grotesque", and for a mythical, ancient tale, try "The Goddess Chronicle".

Hope that is anot interesting suggestion at least.

Emma