Edgar Allan Poe

Poet

Edgar Allan Poe's stories. Throughout his unexpected and meaningful stories you can truly witness the depth of human mind/soul. As I read the only thing I have constantly on my mind is that I would really love to have just a drink with him and a small talk at a local, small pub. Of course I wouldn't let him have more than two whiskeys!

Tell me your thought about his stories, if you've ever read any, or his poems and in general what do you think about him..!

I was really into E.A.Poe back in highschool but over time I got over him. His "horror" stories are not thrilling at all and his writing is average. I tried reading The Pit and the Pendulum six or seven years ago and I found it very silly. 

I like some of his poems but I am not that big and knowledgeable on poetry so for all I know they might be bad/average too.

I was really into E.A.Poe back in highschool but over time I got over him. His "horror" stories are not thrilling at all and his writing is average. I tried reading The Pit and the Pendulum six or seven years ago and I found it very silly.

I like some of his poems but I am not that big and knowledgeable on poetry so for all I know they might be bad/average too.

Well I highly disagree but I see why we do so. Poe considers himself a poet. Also he wrote stories only to make money. So I think anyone should read his poems before having a spherical opinion. Although i agree that his stories aren't written with perfection, like Chekhov does for example, you can see his brilliant self, how deep he goes with the human mind, what a clever man he is who examines everything-everyone and can truly understand them.. (correct me for any misunderstanding, i think my text has some errors!)

I haven't read a vast amount of Poe's work but I was impressed by what I have read, particularly his "detective fiction". I think maybe you have to consider it in it's historical context and in terms of how innovative his style was to really see the value of it. I don't think any of his horror is going to terrify any modern reader but it's certainly atmospheric. 

I'm not sure about having a drink with him though... knowing some of the scenarios that mind thought up I think I'd just like to view it from a safe distance  :giggle2:

Edgar Allan Poe's stories. Throughout his unexpected and meaningful stories you can truly witness the depth of human mind/soul. As I read the only thing I have constantly on my mind is that I would really love to have just a drink with him and a small talk at a local, small pub. Of course I wouldn't let him have more than two whiskeys!

Tell me your thought about his stories, if you've ever read any, or his poems and in general what do you think about him..!

Are there any particular stories or poems that you would recommend? I am curious about his works, but as with any new author, I generally become a bit daunted and unsure about where to begin.

I haven't read a vast amount of Poe's work but I was impressed by what I have read, particularly his "detective fiction". I think maybe you have to consider it in it's historical context and in terms of how innovative his style was to really see the value of it. I don't think any of his horror is going to terrify any modern reader but it's certainly atmospheric.

I'm not sure about having a drink with him though... knowing some of the scenarios that mind thought up I think I'd just like to view it from a safe distance :giggle2:

Yes, yes. The world "atmospheric" describes his whole work! I was looking for that word! Thank you!

As for his detective fiction, I' ve read that he was the inspiration who created the hero Sherlock Holmes. You can actually witness this fact if you read a couple of his stories, like the "Stollen letter"!

Hahah! Safe distance might be even better!

Are there any particular stories or poems that you would recommend? I am curious about his works, but as with any new author, I generally become a bit daunted and unsure about where to begin.

Of course I suggest you a few stories that I really liked:

•murders in the rue morgue

•mystery of marie roget

•Ligeia

•The stolen letter (google search for the myth it mentions it is important to know)

•William Wilson

•amontillado container

•Morella

•Red Death's mask

•the system of dr.tarr and prof fether

•eleonora

•metzengerstein

I think these are great stories! If someone has anything else to suggest please do so!

As for poems:

•The raven (of course)

•Annabel Lee

•Alone

•A dream within a dream

I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I did!! Have a nice reading time! :)

I read all of Poe when a teenager, and enjoyed them at the time.

I have since revisited many of them,and find them variable, from

being as exciting and thrilling as when first read, to being pretty

average! Depends on the readers mood too, I suppose?

• 5 weeks later...

Poe's Dupin stories (e.g. The Purloined Letter, etc.) pre-date Sherlock Holmes and are considered as one of the first examples of detective fiction.

His poetry is underrated and I loved reading most of his short stories, particularly The Tell-Tale Heart.

Despite all this, I still think of his portrayal as a coffee-drinking, chain-smoking Goth in an episode of South Park.

. . . Pop culture stains us all as roll-ups do fingers. ;p

• 1 month later...

I really enjoy his poems. I did love them as a teenager and I still like them today.
Besides the ever-loved Raven my favorites are Evening Star and Rome, Ruins of The Coliseum.

I did enjoy the stories too, but it's been quite some time and I cannot recall them very well at all. The poems I kept in my mind a lot better.