Looking for Sci-Fi (And maybe some Fantasy recommendations)

Okay, I'm a Dane, going to London tomorrow.. I always visit Waterstone

So, I was wondering, if anyone could help with some recommendations.

Sci-Fi I have bought on previous trips, and really liked:
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Hyperion Cantos - Dan Simmons
The Stars My Destination - Alfred Bester
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
The Martian - Andy Weir
Gateway - Frederik Pohl
The Ender Quartet - Orson Scott Card

I've tried to put them in the order I liked them the most, but I loved all of them.

On my to buy list, I only currently have some Isaac Asimov books / collections, that I would like to try out.
Earth is Room Enough
Nine Tomorrows
Nightfall and other Stories
I, Robot.

So, what Sci-Fi books, is a must get? Or anything that are in the style of the above books, that you can recommend?

On my last trip I also bought:
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch, and I loved it. Had to order the next two books in the serie as soon as I got back home.. I love a good con artist story.
I think the reason I ended up with that book, was because of recently reading the Rogues Anthology by George R. R Martin, which had a lot of good short stories..

So, besides the Sci-Fi recommendations, I'm also asking for tips about books with thiefs / rogues / con artist, prefferably in a sci-fi / fantasy theme.

Ohh and I love the idea of the subreddit "Humanity, fudge Yeah!", where I've alteast been following the story "Humans don't make Good Pets"..

If anyone actually read my rabble and have got some ideas, please share.. I'm gonna go spend an entire day in Waterstone looking for books anyway. If I don't get any replies, I'll most likly just look for some books from the SF masterworks list :)
Thanks in advance 

Hey there! Dune by Frank Herbet is worth getting. The quality goes down after the third book but Dune is one of those series that has to be read by any SF fan. Asimov is great too, though I'm not really sure what to recommend specifically since he wrote A LOT of books. I Robot is great so get that. The Foundation series too. 

To your specific request of fantasy with a thief/rogue character, see if you can get Fritz Leiber's sword and sorcery books. The two heroes are Fafhrd and Gray Mouser. One is a barbarian and the other a thief with some magic here and there. 

• 1 month later...

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie and its sequels. Brilliant books.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

Old Man's War by John Scalci(?)

The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks.

The Farseer trilogy (starts with Assassin's Apprentice) by Robin Hobb