What's Up in August 2016?

Athena

Looks like we should have nice weather for the day. Being a bank holiday the roads should be pretty quiet so I plan to head out on my bike for a while later and then probably spend the rest of the day reading and pottering about the house.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday evening I cut the grass in the back garden (never done it before, quite proud of myself! Exhausting though), Saturday morning/afternoon I raked up all the grass, hoovered the whole house, did three loads of washing and tidied my room. Deciding I'd done well, I took an hour nap and woke up with a toothache, as well as a weird rash on my leg and insect bites elsewhere (I'm guessing from cutting the grass). I got two hours sleep Saturday night thanks to the toothache. Fortunately, last night, after a day and a half of constant pain, it let up and I slept. Feeling much better today. (Pretty sure it was a splintery bit of food that got stuck that caused it). Jaw still tender but otherwise fine.

So anyway, here's hoping my jaw gets better asap and the rash goes away (!), because otherwise I'm pretty okay. That 'life skills' thing based in CBT is enrolling this afternoon, so gonna do that, and Wednesday blessedly is payday. Cannot. Wait.

Quiet day for me today - wife is away on a day trip, step daughter is out until 4 and I have very little energy so probably a TV and book day today. At the moment I've been sat having breakfast while watching Tom and Jerry cartoons. I am 52, going on 5 (and planning on staying that way). Have a great day everyone :)

Take it easy Flip.

Noll, great going with the yard work. Future reference...wear slacks and sleeves when cutting grass. 

I'm a bit tired. We went to visit my mom this weekend and got home yesterday. My bed at her house was hard as a board. Probably because she had a board between the mattress and box spring.  :blush2: I had gone to bed early as I did the driving.  I was asleep about 3.5 hours when my dd hit me up on Facebook messenger so I could see our 2 year old celebrate her birthday. There's three hours difference as they are West Coast and we are East Coast. I couldn't get back to sleep and realized that as long as I was bone tired the mattress didn't matter. When awake, I felt it all. We went to church the next day and I had to deal with a headache and stiff neck. Drove back home and got all comfy in bed. At 0300 this morning dd called again. This time she was distraught. Seems that the German Shepard puppy (she's about 9 months) was really sick over the weekend. It appears she has parvo and isn't expected to live. The thing is, the family they got Bella from had to have known she was sick. Now my daughter and her family have to say good bye to this beautiful pup. The vet is super expensive and she's too far gone now. I pray she's not in pain. She's the prettiest thing and really smart. My grandson is really attached to her. He's on the autism spectrum and she really helps him cope.

After a restless sleep I had my biology lab this morning. Had a hellofa time trying to find parking, got to class 20 minutes late and was behind for the rest of the class. I think I'm going to try and catch a nap before my 1530 class begins. I just know that the moment I doze, dd will call about Bella....

Really sorry to hear about the puppy. German shepherds are such beautiful creatures. It is hard to understand why medical treatment has to be so expensive

Thank you Lau,

It's really heartbreaking because the vet wants $200 upfront. Bella won't last the day. She's suffering. My daughter and son in law are devastated and the grands are just torn up. The blood sucking leaches (vets) can't be humane enough to help them out. It amazes me to see/hear people go on and on about animal rights but when it comes down to it, its all about the money. Its business. They loved this fur baby and its tearing them apart that they can't send her off gently. Its tearing me apart also. 

Only in America...you kick a dog, you go to jail. Let a dog die, you go to jail. If a vet refuses service, its just business. You know a nation by how they treat children, sick, elderly and animals. Here we know our dollar value.

Friday evening I cut the grass in the back garden (never done it before, quite proud of myself! Exhausting though), Saturday morning/afternoon I raked up all the grass, hoovered the whole house, did three loads of washing and tidied my room. Deciding I'd done well, I took an hour nap and woke up with a toothache, as well as a weird rash on my leg and insect bites elsewhere (I'm guessing from cutting the grass). I got two hours sleep Saturday night thanks to the toothache. Fortunately, last night, after a day and a half of constant pain, it let up and I slept. Feeling much better today. (Pretty sure it was a splintery bit of food that got stuck that caused it). Jaw still tender but otherwise fine.

So anyway, here's hoping my jaw gets better asap and the rash goes away (!), because otherwise I'm pretty okay. That 'life skills' thing based in CBT is enrolling this afternoon, so gonna do that, and Wednesday blessedly is payday. Cannot. Wait.

I hope your rash gets better soon :(

Quiet day for me today - wife is away on a day trip, step daughter is out until 4 and I have very little energy so probably a TV and book day today. At the moment I've been sat having breakfast while watching Tom and Jerry cartoons. I am 52, going on 5 (and planning on staying that way). Have a great day everyone :)

I hope you had a nice quiet day :).

I'm a bit tired. We went to visit my mom this weekend and got home yesterday. My bed at her house was hard as a board. Probably because she had a board between the mattress and box spring.  :blush2: I had gone to bed early as I did the driving.  I was asleep about 3.5 hours when my dd hit me up on Facebook messenger so I could see our 2 year old celebrate her birthday. There's three hours difference as they are West Coast and we are East Coast. I couldn't get back to sleep and realized that as long as I was bone tired the mattress didn't matter. When awake, I felt it all. We went to church the next day and I had to deal with a headache and stiff neck. Drove back home and got all comfy in bed. At 0300 this morning dd called again. This time she was distraught. Seems that the German Shepard puppy (she's about 9 months) was really sick over the weekend. It appears she has parvo and isn't expected to live. The thing is, the family they got Bella from had to have known she was sick. Now my daughter and her family have to say good bye to this beautiful pup. The vet is super expensive and she's too far gone now. I pray she's not in pain. She's the prettiest thing and really smart. My grandson is really attached to her. He's on the autism spectrum and she really helps him cope.

After a restless sleep I had my biology lab this morning. Had a hellofa time trying to find parking, got to class 20 minutes late and was behind for the rest of the class. I think I'm going to try and catch a nap before my 1530 class begins. I just know that the moment I doze, dd will call about Bella....

I'm so sorry to hear about the dog :(, that's so sad.

I have been away for most of August visiting relatives who live at the different ends of England and taking in quite a few nice seaside places en route. Will have to knuckle down and start working again now me thinks.

Really sorry to hear about the pup Virginia, that's awful :(

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping/staying asleep recently. Was asleep for about 45 mins when my housemate and her bf decided to go to the bathroom three times (her room and the bathroom are on either side of my room - I hear all the doors, the toilet flushing etc) which woke me up and an hour later I still can't get back to sleep.

Time to invest in ear bud things. What are they called? I googled earbuds for sleeping and all I got was headphones!

Nol, take a look at Snorestore. I've slept with earplugs for about 10 years now and buy in bulk from there. They do sample packs with all different types of plugs so you can find ones which suit you so you don't risk having a load of earplugs you find uncomfortable. It can take a little while to get used to sleeping with earplugs but I found that once I was used to it I sleep so much better than I previously did.

I have been away for most of August visiting relatives who live at the different ends of England and taking in quite a few nice seaside places en route. Will have to knuckle down and start working again now me thinks.

I'm glad you had some fun :).

It's the last day of my time off work, so back to the grindstone tomorrow.  I was so busy before I left and I know I've got a big pile of stuff to do when I go back, so I'm already glad it's only a few days until the weekend! :D

I hope you have a good weekend :D

Well I was told today I'll be off work at least another 3 weeks! Off to see an acupuncturist on Thursday.

I hope you enjoy your time off and that you feel better soon. 

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping/staying asleep recently. Was asleep for about 45 mins when my housemate and her bf decided to go to the bathroom three times (her room and the bathroom are on either side of my room - I hear all the doors, the toilet flushing etc) which woke me up and an hour later I still can't get back to sleep.

Awww, I hope you'll be able to sleep better soon.

I trust you have taken positive action to ensure you ARE getting paid and pretty damn quick?!

I followed it up quickly, found out nobody got paid, there was a computer error on the side of the university's bank, they're trying to resolve it. I also use that bank, so hopefully as soon as it's resolved, I'll get paid. If I'm really lucky it'll be today, but I'm not holding my breath!