What's Up in August 2016?

Athena

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a manager at work who made me feel worthless and an outcast in a dept I'd worked in long before he came along - that led to stress, depression and full blown anxiety attacks. I already had a partner on anti depressants through work stress and I was clear I didn't want that route - but neither could things continue as they were. Hence the hypnotherapy. It was a slow process but yes it changed me gradually, in a positive way. I don't spend every day bouncing on a light and fluffy cloud by any means! :) But I guess at the time I was in a corner with no way of continuing as I was, so change was inevitable. But for me it was a positive thing. And ultimately it just helped me deal with things and function normally again.

It also taught me to worry less about things - most things we worry about never happen, after all. :) Anyway, I seem to have wandered off the point a bit so I'll shut up :)

Well, that stinks. Glad that there was a rainbow at the end of it ! :)

I'm about to go out and locate my classes. School starts Thursday and as I'm totally unfamiliar with this campus, I need to get out and locate some important places; coffee shops, cafeteria,library, lab...you know, university stuff. Then its back home to putter around and do some writing.

Best of luck with your classes. :)

Well, it isd making tyypink veery diffikultt, but ookay.  :hide:

:P Thank you  :friends0:  I'm the only applicant so the only way I won't get it is if I royally screw up. Which, considering I panicked and left work today, is a distinct possibility. But heyo, we'll see I guess.

:P Thank you  :friends0:  I'm the only applicant so the only way I won't get it is if I royally screw up. Which, considering I panicked and left work today, is a distinct possibility. But heyo, we'll see I guess.

Still, the Higher-Ups were pushing you to put your application in, so they do seem happy with you ? :)

Still, the Higher-Ups were pushing you to put your application in, so they do seem happy with you ? :)

Yeah, I dunno. Doesn't stop me panicking. Anyway I'm not gonna take up this thread with discussion about this anymore, it's a general whats up thread not let's listen to noll moan thread.

Thanks for the support everyone <3

Well that course and the fact that you've looked into it sounds positive in itself. Small steps. :)

Now repeat after us all - "I will not suck at this interview, its there for the taking! I deserve this job and I'm going to bloody well take it"! :) 1 relevant story from me and then I'll shut up...

The problem manager had long gone. New director came in and made huge changes to our dept and what we did - restructuring for the future. Me, with the longest service but perhaps not the most in depth technical knowledge (which he was very keen on) didn't get slotted in to a role. I was "partially matched" which meant some of my skills matched and I had to be interviewed so they could be sure - by the director and 2 of his project managers. Of course I did a bit of research on what I thought I'd get asked (to be honest most was in my experience already) but I went in thinking "right, I'm going in here, looking you in the eye and daring you not to give me this job. Its the job I already do anyway, ou bar steward!". Most unlike me but I was pretty peed off he'd dared to only partially match me...

I got the job - and the informal feedback from our IT manager a few weeks later was that the director had been surprised how good I was...

I hope this helps even if just a little bit. Best of luck tomorrow. :)

Had the interview. Wasn't great. I am the only applicant though and I don't think I did badly enough to put them off hiring anyone at all.

Feel so rough now. Got 1 hour sleep, have a headache, am just exhausted. Dunno how I'm gonna make it to half four.

Got the job. Only applicant etc.

I'm going to eat so much pizza when I get home that I may die and force them to re-advertise the job.

€27,000 for the year! That's not a lot to some people but it's more than I've ever had before!

Right now though all I care about is pizza.

So much pizza, guys.

So much pizza.

And then sleep.

Started my final semester yesterday!! Boy was it a doozy. I'm taking 17th and 18th Century Philosophy. Heavy, HEAVY stuff! I'm reading Descartes, Letter to Sorbonne, Meditation I, II and III before going on to Leviathan by Thomas Hobb. The last reading will be Spinoza's Theological Political Treatise. I'll be spending the weekend plodding through this reading as its totally above my head. The professor gave us print outs so we can answer questions as we read. All exams are essays.

Today was my first Biology class. The lecture hall was packed with about 300 students. Its what I call the "bare minimum course." Its usually a class most of us take in order o fill a graduation requirement. The professor, Dr. Dhameja (Dr. D) reminds me of Raj from Big Bang Theory because of his sense of humor. I think I'll like this class. I also have a lab with this course. 

What I've noticed is that I appear to be the oldest student on a campus full of millennials, lol! I'm older than my professors! 

Guess I'll get my reading material organized for some serious study time for tomorrow. I honestly don't see me doing too much today. I did some reading this morning so its not like I haven't done any yet. 

Good luck with your classes, Virginia. I studied some of those Philosophy texts during my undergrad, honestly not my favourite parts of it but still very interesting. Biology should be fun, I loved biology in high school :D

Thanks Gaia and Laura for the congrats :)

Started my final semester yesterday!!

Good luck with your classes, Virginia :)!

Thanks Gaia and Laura for the congrats :)

:friends0:

I had slept quite badly from Thursday to Friday (the night before yesterday) due to mosquitoes that kept buzzing around my head (I woke up every hour or so) :censored::banghead:. I was so tired yesterday. Gladly last night I slept somewhat better. The mosquito(es) still woke me up but not as often as the night before (as I'm typing this I hear one buzzing by my ear argh, I really don't like that sound).

Yesterday morning my dad and I went to a farmer nearby where we bought hay and straw for our animals (the chicken and goats). We also bought 2 bags of wood chips. It's always impressive seeing the huge building with all the bales of hay and straw. And it is much cheaper than in a pet shop, where they sell little amounts for more money (we need a lot of straw in particular for the animals).

My sister came by yesterday, it was only planned shortly beforehand that she'd come over but it was fun to see her. I didn't spend all my time with her though because I was so tired. She is allright, she spent some time lying in the sun outside in our garden yesterday. She's trying to find a job at the moment, as she is finishing off her PhD soon. So far no luck though :(. But I'm glad we were able to cheer her up a little bit.

Congratulations on the job Noll - that's a huge salary increase and you deserve it. I wish I could get one like that. 

My colleague has been off work for 3 weeks now and has just been signed off for another 2, so I don't see him coming back to work any time soon. He is clearly not in a very good place and to be honest, I fear for his health now - both mental and physical. No one has seen him in any of the pubs during this time, which leads me to think that he must have been in hospital, having done some real damage to himself with excessive drinking. He has said some pretty nasty things to me during the time I have been there and is not my best friend, but I still wouldn't wish that on him. He is human after all and no one wants to hear of another suffering.