What's Up in August 2016?

Athena

Got the job. Only applicant etc.

I'm going to eat so much pizza when I get home that I may die and force them to re-advertise the job.

€27,000 for the year! That's not a lot to some people but it's more than I've ever had before!

Right now though all I care about is pizza.

So much pizza, guys.

So much pizza.

And then sleep.

Congratulations, Noll! I'm proud of you. :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My colleague has been off work for 3 weeks now and has just been signed off for another 2, so I don't see him coming back to work any time soon. He is clearly not in a very good place and to be honest, I fear for his health now - both mental and physical. No one has seen him in any of the pubs during this time, which leads me to think that he must have been in hospital, having done some real damage to himself with excessive drinking. He has said some pretty nasty things to me during the time I have been there and is not my best friend, but I still wouldn't wish that on him. He is human after all and no one wants to hear of another suffering.

I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing well :(.

Today I plan to rest a bit, because the past week has been busy. I've not been sleeping so well due to mosquitoes buzzing around my head at night, last night after waking up every 30 mins for a few times, I was fed up and slept with earplugs in. It hurts my ears a bit but I figured that would be better than another night of sleeping badly.

The noise mosquitoes make is the most irritating sound to man!  :hide:

I used to try sleeping with ear plugs some years ago before I had new windows put in my old house - the morning birds would wake at 4am in the Summer outside my room. But I really hated sleeping with them in. I hope the mosquitoes die off soon!

Hi!

My boyfriend is on holidays, he has two weeks so we are enjoying the summer, going to the beach, to festivals and so on. However I'm working because as I started as a self-employee 4 months ago I can't have holidays, I need to have new clients and pay the taxes. The beggining is very hard. 

Yesterday I went to the beach and now a friends are comming to my house to have lunch and then I hope to go to the angient book fair. I want to buy some books.

Athenea I hate mosquitoes too I also used ear plugs as Flip suggested. I hope you will rest tonight. 

Nollaig congratulations!!!!!! 

Godd luck with the classes Virginia, it seems a bit difficult. 

I had slept quite badly from Thursday to Friday (the night before yesterday) due to mosquitoes that kept buzzing around my head (I woke up every hour or so) :censored::banghead:. I was so tired yesterday. Gladly last night I slept somewhat better. The mosquito(es) still woke me up but not as often as the night before (as I'm typing this I hear one buzzing by my ear argh, I really don't like that sound).

Ewwww that sounds really, really unpleasant. 

Congratulations on the job Noll - that's a huge salary increase and you deserve it. I wish I could get one like that. 

Thanks Talisman - it is only for a year though, I could well be out on my backside after that due to public sector red tape and the difficulty of creating jobs!

Congratulations, Noll! I'm proud of you. :)

Aww thanks Kell  :friends0:

The noise mosquitoes make is the most irritating sound to man!  :hide:

I used to try sleeping with ear plugs some years ago before I had new windows put in my old house - the morning birds would wake at 4am in the Summer outside my room. But I really hated sleeping with them in. I hope the mosquitoes die off soon!

Thanks Flip. I agree, it is such an irritating sound!

My boyfriend is on holidays, he has two weeks so we are enjoying the summer, going to the beach, to festivals and so on. However I'm working because as I started as a self-employee 4 months ago I can't have holidays, I need to have new clients and pay the taxes. The beggining is very hard.

Yesterday I went to the beach and now a friends are comming to my house to have lunch and then I hope to go to the angient book fair. I want to buy some books.

Athenea I hate mosquitoes too I also used ear plugs as Flip suggested. I hope you will rest tonight.

Good luck with your work, I'm sorry you can't have holidays. I hope you enjoy the book fair! 

Thanks Sabry :).

I'm new to the forum but had to have a nose in this topic. You all seem to have a lovely attitude and are so supportive of each other, it's fabulous and a very nice change to see on forums :)

I had my whole small bowel removed at the beginning of last month, and due to complications I flatlined on the operating table like a scene from ER (remember that show?!). My surgeon saved my life but it meant that my recovery has been slow and arduous.

So, in August 2016, I learned to walk again. :D

I'm new to the forum but had to have a nose in this topic. You all seem to have a lovely attitude and are so supportive of each other, it's fabulous and a very nice change to see on forums :)

I had my whole small bowel removed at the beginning of last month, and due to complications I flatlined on the operating table like a scene from ER (remember that show?!). My surgeon saved my life but it meant that my recovery has been slow and arduous.

Wow! You've had a time of it, haven't you?! Glad you seem to be on the mend now though!

I have a busy week on this week. Tonight I did the first of three upcoming auditions. This one was for panto (Dick Whittington). I auditioned for Fairy Bowbells, Ship Mate, and Alice (the female lead). I really want to play Fairy Bowbells, but I said I'd accept any part if they wanted me in the show! I should hear the results by the end of the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow I'm busy in town with Mum and the boys - bank, post office, library, a bunch of stuff to buy.

Wednesday I have rehearsals for Sister Act (I'm just Nun #11, but it's a lot of fun!).

Thursday I'll be at Edinburgh Fringe all day with a group of people scouting shows to potentially bring to Northumberland. It'll be a long day, and we'll see four or five shows before coming home.

Friday is our grocery shopping day, and I also have another Sister Act rehearsal.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we have our local annual maritime festival, but this year we'll be graced by the tall ships - exciting stuff!

Next Wednesday will be the second of my three auditions - this is for another Xmas show (The Magic Toy Box), but it's paid work this time, so if I get a part in that one, I can legitimately claim to be a professional actor once more, after my extended break of 15 years!

I don't know when I'll have time to breathe - LOL!

Wow that sounds pretty heavy! I'm glad you're okay :)

I have a busy week on this week. Tonight I did the first of three upcoming auditions. This one was for panto (Dick Whittington). I auditioned for Fairy Bowbells, Ship Mate, and Alice (the female lead). I really want to play Fairy Bowbells, but I said I'd accept any part if they wanted me in the show! I should hear the results by the end of the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow I'm busy in town with Mum and the boys - bank, post office, library, a bunch of stuff to buy.

Wednesday I have rehearsals for Sister Act (I'm just Nun #11, but it's a lot of fun!).

Thursday I'll be at Edinburgh Fringe all day with a group of people scouting shows to potentially bring to Northumberland. It'll be a long day, and we'll see four or five shows before coming home.

Friday is our grocery shopping day, and I also have another Sister Act rehearsal.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday we have our local annual maritime festival, but this year we'll be graced by the tall ships - exciting stuff!

Next Wednesday will be the second of my three auditions - this is for another Xmas show (The Magic Toy Box), but it's paid work this time, so if I get a part in that one, I can legitimately claim to be a professional actor once more, after my extended break of 15 years!

You've got a lot going on! I hope you get the roles in the shows that you want :).

We've purchased a special lamp to help with the huge amount of mosquitoes bugging us. So far it seems to be working :). There were still mosquitoes bothering us at night (should I say... bugging :giggle2:), but there were less of them than in the previous nights. I'm hoping with time they will be gone.

Thank you, you make me sound quite healthy by comparison! Hopefully the worst is over and things stay positive for you from now on.

Congrats on the job, Noll. :yahoo:

Wow, good going on the recovery,  QK. Hope things only improve for you. :)

Over the weekend we were supposed to be going camping in Wales at a place called Shell Island in the Snowdonia National Park. The forecast didn't look good but we were committed to going as we were meeting 4 other groups of friends there, all with kids apart from one single friend in our group. We stopped off at Telford to convoy with one of them and after a rainy but lovely 3 hour scenic drive to the campsite, we eventually started to set up in a very windy spot. One friend's tent pole snapped as they tried to set up, but they reckoned they had a spare in the awning, and then as we tried to fit our second pole, the first pole shattered, so that was the end of that! We then had a mad rush to gather everything back up and get off the campsite before we were trapped by the tidal road, which we made it by 5 minutes! 

To add insult to injury, we followed the advice of our other friends that hadleft, to find a 'lovely restaurant they knew' only to drive an hour out of the way to a place that was closed, to end back on the road we would havd been on, only it was miles longer (I don't know what they were thinking! :mad:) so we only got home at 1.15 in the morning after several layby stops of cramming in random food from the car and making cold coffee as a pick-me up. :doh:

We had a fairly chilled weekend after that though. It was our daughter's first birthday on Sunday (where has the time gone) so we had a more relaxed day than we would have had at the campsite, so it wasn't all bad :)

Sorry your trip didn't totally work out :(. I'm glad the rest was okay.

I'm not a big fan of camping, but I do have some fond memories of camping trips when I was a child. I usually preferred to be home though rather than in a strange place, when you're in a tent you still hear all the noise from outside and that always really bothered me.

Thank you, you make me sound quite healthy by comparison! Hopefully the worst is over and things stay positive for you from now on.

Apologies if I've quoted Flip's comment wrongly, I'm new to forums! Imy glad to help anyway:) I was working as a therapist for families going through sexual abuse before my crohns disease flared up so badly, so I can't say that I don't miss the emotional stress!

Everyone is up to such interesting activities this summer, I hope you all succeed in your endeavours :)

Apologies if I've quoted Flip's comment wrongly, I'm new to forums! Imy glad to help anyway:) I was working as a therapist for families going through sexual abuse before my crohns disease flared up so badly, so I can't say that I don't miss the emotional stress!

Everyone is up to such interesting activities this summer, I hope you all succeed in your endeavours :)

I rather think you quoted it right :) I imagine with a job like that you might only be able to take so much before you need to take a break from it. Sometimes even enforced breaks are a good thing in the long run.

Congrats on the job, Noll. :yahoo:

Over the weekend we were supposed to be going camping in Wales at a place called Shell Island in the Snowdonia National Park.

Thanks!

And wow, that sounds like a nightmare trip :thud:

I have no news today, but I can't stop BLOODY SNIFFLING! JUST STOP, NOSE, STOP!

HI Queens Knickers (great name) hope you're on the road to recovery now, we have a friend with Crohn's who had similar surgery to you, it's a horrible condition isn't it?  Great to have you on the forum.

You definitely had a weekend from hell Avid Reader, it sounds like one of those road trip movies where everything goes wrong, and it was very windy wasn't it, I was in Devon and got woken up by it all at around 3.45.  Hopefully you will laugh at the memories (one day!).

I only tried camping once and hated it, it was uncomfortable, either too hot or too cold, and the loos were too far away.  I think it's a Marmite activity.

So glad you're on the mend QK! What a harrowing experience!

Noll, have you come out of your pizza coma yet?

I've been pretty busy with school. It does seem like I spend more time in my truck getting to class and looking for parking, than I do in the actual class. I've walked about 20 miles total so far (and I haven't gone to today's class yet). I am really enjoying Biology/lab and Philosophy. 

Got lots of stuff accomplished this week. I cleaned out my shed and laundry area and had a guy come and haul away the the junk. That was the last beast to tame since moving here. I can now say that the spring/autumn cleaning is complete! Since the grands have been gone I have been able to get the house in order. Last weekend I did carpets, furniture, truck interior. 

Anybody ready for Fall?!

I have no news today, but I can't stop BLOODY SNIFFLING! JUST STOP, NOSE, STOP!

I hope you feel better soon! 

I've been pretty busy with school. It does seem like I spend more time in my truck getting to class and looking for parking, than I do in the actual class. I've walked about 20 miles total so far (and I haven't gone to today's class yet). I am really enjoying Biology/lab and Philosophy. 

Got lots of stuff accomplished this week. I cleaned out my shed and laundry area and had a guy come and haul away the the junk. That was the last beast to tame since moving here. I can now say that the spring/autumn cleaning is complete! Since the grands have been gone I have been able to get the house in order. Last weekend I did carpets, furniture, truck interior.

You've been pretty busy!

Anybody ready for Fall?!

We haven't had a whole lot of warm days here yet, just a few now and then, so I'm good with having 'summer' for a little while longer to be honest (aside from our mosquito problem).

Welcome to the forum Queens Knickers - I do love your name. If I ever changed mine I would call myself Big Pants as that's what I tend to wear !

I am looking forward to an extra day off from work, as it has been stressful of late with me picking up the slack while my colleague continues to be off sick. The hot weather we have had this week hasn't helped - the temperature at work topped 35 degrees on Wednesday, which is far too hot for me. I am one of these people that really feels the heat, so now the temperature has gone down by 10 degrees or so, I am much happier. 

I am looking forward to an extra day off from work, as it has been stressful of late with me picking up the slack while my colleague continues to be off sick. The hot weather we have had this week hasn't helped - the temperature at work topped 35 degrees on Wednesday, which is far too hot for me. I am one of these people that really feels the heat, so now the temperature has gone down by 10 degrees or so, I am much happier.

I hope you enjoy your day off :). I agree that 25 °C is more comfortable than 35 °C. 35 °C is too hot for me too.

I went to the library yesterday with my dad and had a lot of fun being there and spending time with my dad.

Today it's my brother's birthday, he is on his world trip at the moment. It's strange not being able to be with him on or near his birthday, but we did message each other. We plan to celebrate properly when he's back from his world trip in November.