What's Up in August 2016?

Athena

How is it August already?!

What are you up to?

Yesterday my brother and his girlfriend came by. It was really nice to spend some time with them (and with Michael and my parents). Today I plan to rest mostly, since I feel pretty tired from the weekend.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today for the first time in 9 years I will be signing on for job seekers.

I'm gonna really knuckle down this month and try to do some writing now I have the time.

Also looking forward to the new football season this weekend

I kicked off August by going on a Speed Awareness course - a couple of months ago, a man in a bush near my village clocked me doing 36mph on the approach to the village where its a 30 limit and when the letter came through, I opted for the course, rather than the fine and points. Very interesting 4 hour course actually - to be honest, all drivers would benefit from going on it. A bit of an eye opener, as they say.

Am utterly knackered though now - at home, resting on the bed once again.  might go through my Librarything wants list and do some internet book shopping...just to pass the time, you understand... ;)

Later in the week, we're off for a couple of days on the Norfolk coast - suggested by my wife as a bit of a tonic for me. Just take a book and a fold up chair and find a spot on the beach. Hopefully it will stay dry!

Edited by Flip Martian

I went on one of those courses a couple of years ago now and found it to be very enlightening.  I too kept saying at the time that everyone should go on this course

It would make people far more aware - I was really impressed. Must admit I was sat there thinking "I wish I could get my wife on 1 of these courses". She has no patience behind the wheel at all. And sure enough, I came out and regaled her with all these facts I learned about why safety cameras get put up, and traffic calming etc....and she didn't believe a word. I'd love for her to say that to the teachers we had...she might learn something! :)

We have them here in the States also. We use them in order to lower our insurance after getting a ticket. 

Yesterday and today are my off days. Hubby and I went to the outdoor "swapmeet" or what you might call farmers market expect this is a combination of everything under the sun being sold in an outdoor market. We then went to find him some decent workboots as he's worn the heels down on his other pair. They cost too much to toss so I'm having them resoled but he needed another pair to get him through til his regular pair get replaced. Also picked up more things for the grands to send out in the next two weeks. Two household, seven grands...lots of stuff, lots of shipping fees. 

Today I had to go in early for my mammogram and MRI for my left ankle. So glad that's over, now I just have to wait to get the results. One more exam and I'm all caught up on my physical. My doctor said considering I hadn't been seen in over two years, I'm remarkably healthy. I do have to watch my diet though because my family background has diabetes and hypertension running rampid. I'm what would be considered borderline if I don't better watch what I eat. 

After doing all my errands for the week, I guess I'm ready to hunker down and get my bottom glued to my desk tomorrow. I'm just about finished putting my office back in order and finishing up with those things that sit on your desk begging for your attention when you have the least amount of time to do them. I find that if they sit on my desk when I need to be focusing on my Apple IT class, I get distracted. Hopefully this will help.

This month we are going to see the family in Yorkshire.  We have not seen them in about 18 months so will be nice to catch up.

I wish you lots of fun catching up with your family :).

I kicked off August by going on a Speed Awareness course - a couple of months ago, a man in a bush near my village clocked me doing 36mph on the approach to the village where its a 30 limit and when the letter came through, I opted for the course, rather than the fine and points. Very interesting 4 hour course actually - to be honest, all drivers would benefit from going on it. A bit of an eye opener, as they say.

Am utterly knackered though now - at home, resting on the bed once again.  might go through my Librarything wants list and do some internet book shopping...just to pass the time, you understand... ;)

Later in the week, we're off for a couple of days on the Norfolk coast - suggested by my wife as a bit of a tonic for me. Just take a book and a fold up chair and find a spot on the beach. Hopefully it will stay dry!

Well done on doing that course. I hope you enjoy your days on the Norfold coast :)

Today I had to go in early for my mammogram and MRI for my left ankle. So glad that's over, now I just have to wait to get the results. One more exam and I'm all caught up on my physical. My doctor said considering I hadn't been seen in over two years, I'm remarkably healthy. I do have to watch my diet though because my family background has diabetes and hypertension running rampid. I'm what would be considered borderline if I don't better watch what I eat.

I hope your results will be good. It's nice you're healthy :).

Back to work today after a nice four day break. I was surprisingly up-and-at-em getting up - even if I am now sitting back on my bed posting on here. About ten more minutes before I have to finish getting ready.

We have them here in the States also. We use them in order to lower our insurance after getting a ticket.

Over here in the UK there is 1 insurer (we were told yesterday) who needs notifying if you've been on a course - but only as they count it that you were speeding in the first place so it negatively affects your insurance quote! With all others its not seen as a positive or a negative.

However, we do have advanced driver courses and some companies will take that into account in a positive way when giving you a quote.

Over here in the UK there is 1 insurer (we were told yesterday) who needs notifying if you've been on a course - but only as they count it that you were speeding in the first place so it negatively affects your insurance quote! With all others its not seen as a positive or a negative.

However, we do have advanced driver courses and some companies will take that into account in a positive way when giving you a quote.

That's really interesting Flip! We have to pay for our course in order to get insurance reductions. Not much in comparison to your rate jump of almost $100 a month. 

We had lots of storms last night. My blasted phone went off all night, until the wee hours of the morning, when I figured out how to shut the dang thing off. Its part of the messaging app. I mean this thing was a siren! As my tv was on all night I didn't need it on anyway because of our Emergency Broadcasting System that announces emergencies in the area. Bright red streaming on the top of the screen with a loud siren of its own. Glad for it but, what a racket!

I'm not going into week three of my training. Can't say that this is my  favorite gig. Its not that its HARD but the threat of a final exam over our heads at the end of training doesn't help. No pass, no continued employment. I may have to let it go in a couple of weeks anyway. I just got notification that my university biology class has been cancelled. This means that I have to take the class in another time slot. The only slots available are during working hours and Apple has set schedules. If I have to quit I want to do it on extremely good terms so that I can come back in December after I graduate. 

School is of the up most importance. I've been out for a few years because of family issues. I'm coming back as a transient student. I will graduate from my original university location but take the remaining two classes and lab in my new city. Its the same school just different locations. The thing is, if I don't graduate NOW (after my adviser did some arm twisting and pleading on my behalf) I will have to take 4-6 addition classes because the university changed the graduation requirements. I simply cannot afford to do it. I have no more financial aid available and the school has raised its tuition. Its now or never.

Got my giant water mug, fruits and carrots ready for the day, the dog has been let out, hubby is sleeping and I am now ready to start my work week. Harry Potter will be playing in the background and all is well.

Have a great day y'all! 

Thanks Athena.

Five more days of Apple training before going to RAMP, which means we go into another level of training. We did live calls yesterday. I was nervous but I think I did pretty okay. Pretty much same old thing. Get up, take vitamins, drink water, shower, etc...then sit at the computer. Funny how sitting still all day makes me feel like I have been walking all day. 

Hey y'all!

Almost done with phase one of my apple training. It has not been enjoyable. I liked my classmates but the training leaves a lot to be desired. Too much information with stresses on examination. My trainer is a "director" type. He toss knowledge at the speed of light assuming that we are all familiar with apple products. I came in with a handicap as I had never touched an iOS device. I had to learn how to maneuver on a mac while learning Blackboard AND apple products while other techs were already iOS owners.

I took a few calls today and I did really well. I do so much better when I don't have a little Hitler rushing me. I can have more control over my calls and my customers have been satisfied. 

Your training sounds tough, especially for someone who doesn't know much about iOS devices (neither do I, btw.). Well done on the calls going well!

Today I will briefly see my brother. He's coming to pick up my parents' trailer (it's a kind of cart you put behind your car?). He's leaving for his world trip in 9 days now. This will probably be the last time I see him until he gets back in November. I'm really going to miss him during his world trip. I hope he has a great time, though.

On Monday, I Braved the Shave for Macmillan Cancer Support and sent my hair (15 inches of it weighing 13oz!) off to Little Princess Trust to make wigs for kids who have lost their hair through chemo.

post-3572-0-54033900-1470400833_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-67782700-1470400841_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-38996400-1470400850_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-47116200-1470400855_thumb.jpg

Back from north Norfolk - lovely place. Relatively quiet coast (for Summer here in the UK), lovely countryside, a few National Trust country houses visited (all of which had used bookshops so I was doubly happy) and plenty of resting/relaxation.

Came back last night and today have had a power cut for about 9 hours! It just came back up half an hour ago. Still, don't need electricity to read. :)

Back from north Norfolk - lovely place. Relatively quiet coast (for Summer here in the UK), lovely countryside, a few National Trust country houses visited (all of which had used bookshops so I was doubly happy) and plenty of resting/relaxation.

Came back last night and today have had a power cut for about 9 hours! It just came back up half an hour ago. Still, don't need electricity to read. :)

I'm glad you had a fun time.

Sorry to hear about the power cut! I'm glad it's fixed now. I hope nothing was spoiled from the fridge / freezer etc.

I'm glad you had a fun time.

Sorry to hear about the power cut! I'm glad it's fixed now. I hope nothing was spoiled from the fridge / freezer etc.

Fortunately not - they told us all should be ok for 12 hours and it seems to be. A nice quiet day yesterday but now catching up on emails etc I couldn't get done! :)

Well done to Kell too for the head shaving. I know a few people doing it and was tempted myself. I have a rather weird shaped head I think so wasn't brave enough. Maybe next year!

I have a fuzzy head at work today. Think it's because I haven't been sleeping well at all, waking up every couple of hours and finding it difficult to get comfortable. Tis not a great start to the work week!

At least it's pretty fresh out, so I'm not roasting.

I'm gonna be moving to a new office at work this week, too, can't remember if I already said that. Looking forward to the change.