Your Book Activity - August 2016

Athena

The tv version I recently watched has inspired me to read the Preacher graphic novels again. I'm already through the first one, Gone to Texas and have started the 2nd one, Until the End of the World. My normal book reading was stalling again, so I figured I needed something easy to read & compulsive to get back into it.

Edited by More reading time required

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a long haul, and several deviations to relieve the hard work, I finished The Stars Look Down this morning. The longest book so far in the English Counties challenge to date and, boy, did it feel just like that....thank goodness it's over....Now on to David Almond's The Tightrope Walkers.  No expectations one way or the other as I've never read anything of his before, but it's next month's choice for my book group.

In many respects, a similar sort of novel: working class story set in the North East (coal vs shipbuilding), class conflict, trying to improve one's lot.

The difference, however, was marked. I found it more engagingly written (show versus tell to the fore), and more tautly developed. A book that certainly grabbed me more strongly: 3 stars versus 1.

Edited by willoyd

The tv version I recently watched has inspired me to read the Preacher graphic novels again. I'm already through the first one, Gone to Texas and have started the 2nd one, Until the End of the World. My normal book reading was stalling again, so I figured I needed something easy to read & compulsive to get back into it.

I've never read or gotten into any graphic novels. Have you ever read V for Vendetta? I've come close to reading it before and want to, just wondering if it's as good as it sounds.

I finished the first Jack Reacher book, Killing Floor and started Alison Weir's The Lost Princess: The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas.

I am reading 1913: The Summer of the Century by Florian Illies these days. Interesting book about events and people from the year 1913, just before WW1. It's not always clear how much is fiction and reality sadly and the writing is made up just by some short random paragraphs. I discovered some interesting new figures in the book (besides the ones I already knew like Kafka or D.H.Lawrence) and I found myself using Google very often to search about a particular play or person mentioned in the book. 

I need to dig a bit and see if there are similar books but centered around the 1920s. 

They are definitely not the easiest books to read, they are epic and long and complicated. I think Great North Road wouldn't be the best place to start, it's not one of his best works in my opinion. It's still enjoyable though :). But I can see where some of the negative reviews are coming from. I am enjoying the book though. I hope you'll try one of his books some time, but I will say they aren't for everyone.

I have read (and enjoyed) Pandora's Star. I know there is a sequel - Judas Unchained - but Pandora's Star was so long and detailed, that I didn't fancy picking the sequel up straight away. And so much time has passed since I read Pandora's Star that I will probably be totally lost with Judas Unchained. :thud:

I've also heard positive things about the Night's Dawn series, so that is on my TBR list as well. They just take a lot of time to read and absorb that I end up going for something easier :blush2:

I have read (and enjoyed) Pandora's Star. I know there is a sequel - Judas Unchained - but Pandora's Star was so long and detailed, that I didn't fancy picking the sequel up straight away. And so much time has passed since I read Pandora's Star that I will probably be totally lost with Judas Unchained. :thud:

I've also heard positive things about the Night's Dawn series, so that is on my TBR list as well. They just take a lot of time to read and absorb that I end up going for something easier :blush2:

x

That makes sense, it'd be better to re-read Pandora's Star before reading Judas Unchained. The Void Trilogy books take place in the same world as Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, as do his Chronicle of the Fallers books (the second and last one will be released in hardcover soon).

x

The Night's Dawn trilogy is my favourite of his books. I loved those books so much.

x

But I totally get you end up going for something easier. I like more complicated books when I really feel in the mood for them (such as epic science-fiction or epic fantasy), but when I'm more in the mood for something easier and lighter, then I read something easier and lighter. If I'm not in the mood to read a book, I won't enjoy it. Sometimes I'm intimidated beforehand, but once I'm reading I find myself enjoying a big epic book. Maybe you'll read more of his books some time :).

Hi everyone. I'm going to try and post more regularly on here.

x

That sounds good :).

I'm still reading Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road, I'm on page 376 out of 1087. I hope to have it finished before the upcoming read-a-thon, but if I can't finish it by Thursday, I might be able to finish the book on Friday and start my read-a-thon a day later.

I'm giving up on Alison Weir's book on Margaret Douglas, it's just not up to par with her other history books. Instead, I've started re reading the second Jack Reacher book by Lee Child, Die Trying.

Just been reading through this months books everyone has read.  This always gives me information about new authors to put on my to buy list.

Sorry I have been away for three weeks sunning myself, but did get a bit of reading done in quiet moments.

The one we fell in love with - Paige Toon

Not quite nice - Celia Imrie

The Cozy mystery series - all six books  - so easy to read and quite daft - Molly Dox

Private Paris - James Patterson

Little Black Dress - a bookshot by James Patterson - oh my word - sex, sex and more sex. 

Will have to sort a new batch of books out to read.

Finished Simon Armitage's The Death of King Arthur in a couple of sittings, aided by its strong alliterative rhythm, which seems to drive you incessantly forward! One or two passages deserve rereading some time soon.

Have now moved on to Jessie Burton's The Muse, which I picked up in our local independent bookshop and then didn't want to put down. Hope it carries on like that!

I've never read or gotten into any graphic novels. Have you ever read V for Vendetta? I've come close to reading it before and want to, just wondering if it's as good as it sounds.

I haven't actually read that one, so I can't comment, sorry. :) I've not read loads of them myself, but I have read Sin City, Sandman, Watchmen, The Walking Dead (which is much much much better than the tv series), The Dark Tower prequels and the Buffy & Angel comics that came out soon after the series ended, before I had to abandon them as they got too plain weird! :lol:

I finished book 2 and started book 3: Preacher: Proud Americans

I've nearly finished my September book club book The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin.  It's okay - nothing special really, although the topic (polygamy) will no doubt give something to talk about! 

I've also started listening to My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal, narrated by Lenny Henry.  I was engaged with the story immediately so it's definitely going to be one of those books that make me get out and walk!  :)

Ive finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and I've started How To Fall in Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry - its very good so far!

That's good to hear, I've got How to Fall in Love in a Bookshop on my wishlist.

I'm on page 600 out of 1087 of Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road. I'm enjoying it, though on occasion I wish the author'd get on with the story. But I am enjoying it overall.

Don't tell me James Patterson is now trying his hand at the "50 Shades of Grey" genre!  :o

I think it is more down to his guest writer Madeleine. Emily Raymond.  But I was shocked I can tell you. 

I've started re-reading 'salem's Lot as my reading has been suffering a bit lately and I think I need to read an old favourite.

If by some miracle I ever get back to reading something by SK, it will be Salem's Lot. I still didn't like it as much as some of Ann Rice's stuff but still better than the average SK novel. 

Also Noll, I can't see your GR profile unless I have an account *sadface*

If by some miracle I ever get back to reading something by SK, it will be Salem's Lot. I still didn't like it as much as some of Ann Rice's stuff but still better than the average SK novel. 

Also Noll, I can't see your GR profile unless I have an account *sadface*

You don't need to see my GR account, I read some awful tripe :P

Today I also purchased a hardback copy of Radiance, by Catherynne Valente. Had to order it on Amazon.com to get the cover I wanted. Easily one of my favourite books I've read in years, and can't wait to have a physical copy of it to re-read it.

I've nearly finished Cell....one chapter to go which I will finish tonight (unless I fall asleep). It wasn't as good as I remembered, and I have struggled with some parts of it.

Next up for me is The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. The synopsis doesn't particularly appeal, but I've enjoyed his other books so I will keep an open mind.

I've nearly finished Cell....one chapter to go which I will finish tonight (unless I fall asleep). It wasn't as good as I remembered, and I have struggled with some parts of it.

Next up for me is The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber. The synopsis doesn't particularly appeal, but I've enjoyed his other books so I will keep an open mind.

Cell, along with Lisey's story is one of my least favourite Stephen King's. :(  Yet it starts off so well, iirc.

I finally managed to do some reading today!!! :lol:  I've read a couple of chapters of a novella, and also started listening to The Immortals by S. E. Lister which I put on my wishlist solely based on the cover of the paperback, but decided to go for the audio version in the end.