Your Book Activity - August 2016

Athena

I went to the library today and borrowed:

The Book of Strange New Things - Michel Faber

Cell - Stephen King (a re-read but I haven't seen it at the library before, so figured I'd give it another go)

Flight Behaviour - Barbara Kingsolver

I hope you enjoy all three of these :).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you enjoy all three of these :).

Thanks, I'm sure I will. :smile:

I've just started Child 44 by Tom Robb Smith. It's been sitting on my bookshelf since before Christmas but with there being so much to read I've never got round to it. Only 80 pages in but have to say very impressed.

I loved Child 44. I thought it was a cut above many of the crime thriller that are out there today. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

My reading mojo is as slow as a slug with a gammy leg, at the moment...... :sarcastic: . And that's only reading light reading styles!    :o

Hopefully things will get better, after the Olympics have finished.  :blush2:

Having studied Shakespeare's Richard III for A level I want to read her book The Daughter of Time but it's the fifth in that series and I'm not sure I want to read them all.

Yes, I looked up The Daughter of Time first, as it had some good reviews, then saw that it is later in the Inspector Alan Grant series.  . Hopefully the first one will be good too. :smile:

I've got that to read too - looks really promising.  It's finding time though, as it's a big book!

It's a 620+ page beast, and I've only flicked through it so far, it looks very dense stuff. This one will take a long time! 

Somewhat bogged down with The Stars Look Down, so swapped for a quick and soothing read of The Wind in the Willows, the Berkshire selection in the English Counties list.  Can't say I'm that keen to return to a book that already feels overlong and somewhat predictable - and I've got another 600 pages to go apparently!  :(

God, Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette is such a slog! I'm preserving, but I've been at it for about a week and a half and am only at 62%! Never been so happy to be more than half way through a book before- ugh!

Still trudging through Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Not really in the mood for it but I'm about a third in so I'm going to push on as I'll never finish it otherwise.

I heard good things babout this book, it's a shame you don't really feel in the mood for it.

I haven't been in the mood for reading much the past while. I took a break from reading yesterday, but in the later afternoon I felt a bit more like reading and I started to re-read Dominique Dumortier - Van Een Andere Planeet. The past few books I've started, I put down again, so we'll see how this one goes. I hope my reading mood will come back!

God, Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette is such a slog! I'm preserving, but I've been at it for about a week and a half and am only at 62%! Never been so happy to be more than half way through a book before- ugh!

:lol: Oh dear! If a book gets that bad then I just give up on it. I've got far too many books on my TBR pile and wishlist, to keep reading bad ones. :blush2:

:lol: Oh dear! If a book gets that bad then I just give up on it. I've got far too many books on my TBR pile and wishlist, to keep reading bad ones. :blush2:

Usually I do as well, but I want to know the details of the ending! Of course everyone knows how it turns out lol

:D . Antonia Fraser's biographies are very good, but boy are they incredibly detailed!  :o . i tried reading The Weaker Vessel: Woman's Lot in Seventeenth-century England nearly a decade ago, but it's soooo long at 704 pages, that I only read maybe 10%, before I gave up! I think you are doing really well ready 62% of Marie Antoinette!  :flowers2:

I finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. It was good for a light thriller, but I think the subject matter could have been greatly expanded upon and better handled by someone else.

Started reading After Me Comes the Flood by Sarah Perry.

After a long haul, and several deviations to relieve the hard work, I finished The Stars Look Down this morning. The longest book so far in the English Counties challenge to date and, boy, did it feel just like that....thank goodness it's over.

Now on to David Almond's The Tightrope Walkers.  No expectations one way or the other as I've never read anything of his before, but it's next month's choice for my book group.

Edited by willoyd

I started This Is Life by Dan Rhodes last night. Good so far. :smile:

:hide:    :e010:  :hide:    :D Can't wait to hear more in the future...

I picked up Swimming to Elba last night, it's by Silvia Avallone, an Italian author. Only got to page 6 but it seems very promising! :smile2: 

I gave up on Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette a few days ago, it put me in a bad reading mood. I tried the Immersion Reading audio of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend but quickly became bored with it. I think it was more me than the book though. So I'm re reading Lee Child's Killing Floor, Jack Reacher book #1. The Jack Reacher books are my favorite series of books and it's going quickly, I'm back in the swing of reading again, thank goodness.

Just finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

What did you think of it?

I gave up on Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette a few days ago, it put me in a bad reading mood. I tried the Immersion Reading audio of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend but quickly became bored with it. I think it was more me than the book though. So I'm re reading Lee Child's Killing Floor, Jack Reacher book #1. The Jack Reacher books are my favorite series of books and it's going quickly, I'm back in the swing of reading again, thank goodness.

I'm glad you're enjoying Killing Floor :).

After finishing my re-read of Diane Chamberlain - The Midwife's Confession, I went back to Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road. I read about 100 pages in it yesterday and am now quite enjoying it (I'm on page 300 out of 1087). I'm very happy my reading is going a bit better! I don't know if I'll be able to finish it before the read-a-thon the weekend after this one (beginning of September), but I don't want to pressure myself too much so I'm just going to try to enjoy my reading and see how things go. I might start the read-a-thon a day later myself if that helps me finish off the book.

:hide:    :e010:  :hide:     :D Can't wait to hear more in the future...

I finished it this morning. I liked it a lot, but I wouldn't say I loved it. I want to read Gold by him as well, because I've heard good things about that.

After finishing my re-read of Diane Chamberlain - The Midwife's Confession, I went back to Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road.

I think I own The Midwife's Confession on Kindle.

I should read more Peter F. Hamilton books, but they are so daunting to start. I usually end up picking something shorter and that I know will be 'easier'. :hide:

I'm going to read Cell by Stephen King next. I've read it before, and I know the basic premise but I can't remember any of the details. I feel like revisiting more King, so I might borrow another one of his when I go to the library later this morning.

I've just been to the library, and borrowed The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (it's full of pictures and glossy pages!), and Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes. It's a library in my local group that I've only been to once before so it's nice to see a new range of books. :boogie:

I finished it this morning. I liked it a lot, but I wouldn't say I loved it. I want to read Gold by him as well, because I've heard good things about that.

Gold is good :yes: I'm totally happy with you just liking This Is Life a lot, that's all one needs :D  It was a bit bizarre, wasn't it? :D Looking forward to reading your review.... When you have the time :) 

Finished Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent today. It was alright, it was a quick and easy ready, but it was all a bit thin I think. 

Also reading After Me Comes The Flood by Sarah Perry. About halfway through, and I can see why most reviews of it are somewhere between poor and indifferent. It's readable but doesn't seem to have any real point.

Gold is good :yes:

Is this 'Gold' by Chris Cleave...if so I read it last year and reviewed it. I enjoyed it

I finished 'Nights of Rain and Starts' Maeve Binchy and 'I Let You Go' by Clare Mackintosh...loved it.

Now about to start 'We are all made of Stars' by Rowan Coleman.

Edited by Inver

I think I own The Midwife's Confession on Kindle.

I should read more Peter F. Hamilton books, but they are so daunting to start. I usually end up picking something shorter and that I know will be 'easier'. :hide:

I hope you enjoy it when you get to it :).

They are definitely not the easiest books to read, they are epic and long and complicated. I think Great North Road wouldn't be the best place to start, it's not one of his best works in my opinion. It's still enjoyable though :). But I can see where some of the negative reviews are coming from. I am enjoying the book though. I hope you'll try one of his books some time, but I will say they aren't for everyone. Most are epic space-opera (science-fiction), so if you don't like that then you're probably not going to enjoy his books as much. But I hope you'll give him a go some time and that you like the book you decide to read. Does your library have some or do you own some? He's not a well known author in the Netherlands, only one of his books got translated I believe. The library doesn't have any I think. But gladly I can buy his books through an online shop (I want to own all of his books).

I've just been to the library, and borrowed The Strange Library by Haruki Murakami (it's full of pictures and glossy pages!), and Behind Closed Doors by Elizabeth Haynes. It's a library in my local group that I've only been to once before so it's nice to see a new range of books. :boogie:

I hope The Strange Library is good, I look forward to hear what you think of it once you've read it. 

Now about to start 'We are all made of Stars' by Rowan Coleman.

I recently bought this book, I hope you like it and I look forward to hear what you think of it once you've read it.

Yesterday I actually only read one page in Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road. But I did go to the library and borrowed and bought books, then catalogued them when I was home. I'll be posting about them in my thread soon.