Your Book Activity - August 2016

Athena

Can you believe it's August already?!

What is your book activity today? What are you reading?

I just started Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa 2: Het Maan-mysterie (Moon Base Alpha 2: Spaced Out). I quite liked the first book in the series. So hopefully this one will be good too.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read a  couple of book shots by james patterson, Break Point, Private Royals and Learning to Ride these are all under 200 pages so you can read them quick. 

Edited Sorry I forgot to say that I have been downloading quite a few books over the weekend so spent quite a lot of time going through the google playlist.

Edited by shirley

Reading...' Night of Rain & Stars ' ~ Maeve Binchy. I haven't read any of hers in ages....found out lost on a shelf, forgot I had this one...not overly gripping though.

Finished I See You! It was good, but I felt a bit underwhelmed. Still, gave it four stars for being enjoyable enough to read in a day. Not sure what I'll read next, but I'll start something before sleep.

I finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. Very good, I thought. :)

That's nice to hear!

I'm currently reading Robin Benway - Emmy & Oliver. I only started it this morning, so I'm not that far into it yet. But it's got an interesting premise, of two childhood friends, Emmy and Oliver, Oliver gets kidnapped by his own father when he's I think 7, and is found 10 years later, but Emmy feels he's different than he used to be. I'm only on page 33 though, but so far it's nice.

I've finished my first book of August, Helen Castor's She- Wolves: The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth and started the 5th book in Phillipa Gregory's Tudor Court series, The Virgin's Lover.

Edited by Anna Begins

Read Disclaimer by Renee Knight. I know it's gotten a lot of good reviews, but I thought it was pretty terrible I'm afraid.

Also got Adulthood is a Myth in the post a collection of Sarah's Scribbles. I love those comics. I tore through the collection in about half an hour, but I'm still counting it as a book read :lol:

Not sure what's next - testing the waters of a couple of books before I decide what I'm in the mood for.

Read Disclaimer by Renee Knight. I know it's gotten a lot of good reviews, but I thought it was pretty terrible I'm afraid.

Also got Adulthood is a Myth in the post a collection of Sarah's Scribbles. I love those comics. I tore through the collection in about half an hour, but I'm still counting it as a book read :lol:

Not sure what's next - testing the waters of a couple of books before I decide what I'm in the mood for.

That's a shame to hear :(.

Well, it's still a book!

I hope you find a nice book to read :).

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it at all, having liked the book very much myself. But they can't all be winners, to each and everyone of us. Better luck with your next read :)

Edit: Almost forgot: I started reading The Blackbird Sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson yesterday. I think Linda Olsson was all the rage back in 2012 when I was working at the library... This is my first book by her. It's going really fast but I'm not sure I would highly recommend it... 

Edited by frankie

I'm slipping behind with reviews again, so I need to get on with it. :doh:

I'm still reading The Bees, which is very enjoyable but also very dark. :o

I went to the library today and couldn't find anything that grabbed me. I wandered around for ages, and ended up getting Ham On Rye by Charles Bukowski. I've heard of it and him, but never read any of his books, so we shall see. :dunno: I also borrowed Deadpool and 10 Cloverfield Lane on DVD for only £1.30 each. :thud: I haven't borrowed DVDs from the library in ages (I don't tend to look at that section), but they have loads I'd love to watch and it's half price in August. :boogie:

I'm still reading The Bees, which is very enjoyable but also very dark. :o

I recently tried the sample to this, but it didn't take. If it's very dark, I'll have to give it another go :P

I went to the library today and couldn't find anything that grabbed me. I wandered around for ages, and ended up getting Ham On Rye by Charles Bukowski. I've heard of it and him, but never read any of his books, so we shall see.

Bukowski is something else :lol: 

I started reading The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell. Still reading fluff, but this time fluff in English :D 

After a slow week reading a Wainwright prize book, I've just had a bit of a bookish weekend.  I bought Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne yesterday morning, but wanted to save it until today to have a one sitting reading, so yesterday I finished a couple of rom com books - The Bookshop of Lonely Hearts by Annie Darling and The Dreadful Debutante by M. C. Beaton - then this morning, settled down and read the Harry Potter book/script.

Bukowski is something else :lol:

Oh no, is that a good or a bad thing? :lol: I don't know anything about him except that he is a very well known beatnik writer from the 60's. I guess I'll find out soon enough if he's my cup of tea. :o

The blurb on the back sounded like an edgier version of The Catcher in the Rye.

I finished The Bees by Laline Paull. Very good, but also quite disturbing. :thud:

I'm back on A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, but will be scouring my Kindle for a fiction book.

Edited by bobblybear

I finished The Bees by Laline Paull. Very good, but also quite disturbing. :thud:

Oooh, that's what I like to hear about a book :P

I'm reading Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay. I'm pretty stressed this weekend so it's taken me hours to really get into the swing of reading but now (with four hours left in my Sunday -_-) I'm finally tearing through it. Really enjoying it. Must get his other book.

I agree, Noll, I'm definitely going to have to check out The Bees :P

I finished Philippa Gregory's The Virgin's Lover this morning, thank god. I hated it, couldn't wait for it to end. 387 pages of 487 of misery. Review in my thread. Now I'm going to try The Girl On The Train... being that I never read psychological thrillers, I hope it takes.

Edited because my spell check insists on correcting Philippa Gregory.

Edited by Anna Begins