2016 Olympics

Virginia

I think at the moment we are waiting to see who else is going to withdraw from the games because of the Zika virus and because of Russia being banned from the games. Mind you I don't think they have made a final decision yet have they.

Although we have known it is coming and will be in August I cannot believe it is now here and starts on Saturday.

Will be watching as much as I can, I love tuning in to sports that I would not normal watch as well.

Its hard to believe the conditions the athletes are living in at the Village. I cant even begin to imagine. And the river, UGH!

I plan to watch the gymnastics as well, along with maybe football and some track and field as well. I don't know, it just doesn't seem organized or even exciting. I hate it for those Olympians because they've trained so hard for this moment only to feel like everything else is overshadowing it.

Must admit I've missed most of the news about it? Is it that bad over there then? I usually try and watch the field events, the diving. Not so fussed on the running heats.

Not only the Zika virus problem, which is rampant, but the crime seems to be pretty bad.  Some of the athletes have already been robbed.  And the authorities have warned the Olympians not to put their head underwater, and not to breathe too deeply when near the river. 

Sounds pretty awful to me.  I can hardly believe the conditions in which they are expected to perform.

The more you hear about the conditions in Rio the more you wonder why anyone has turned up.  Why have they not been keeping an eye on what is going on there especially the condition of the water.

I hope they have all had their shots and they monitor them very closely for any sign of bugs or viruses.

Having said that Murray starts his bid to win gold again on Sunday so will be watching that.

Yeh..I worry for the athletes out there...so hope there aren't any horror stories. Looking forward to watching as much as I can of it...I love the Olympics...well sport in general to be honest. So chuffed to see our Andy Murray being chosen for our flag bearer...he is general honoured to be carrying the flag for GB.

Let the games begin...oh wait they already have...hubby was watching some of the footie tonight.

I won't be staying up to watch the opening ceremony tonight - with the time difference it's much too late for me. I will watch it on I player over the weekend though at some point. As for the events themselves - I will watch a lot of the cycling events - track and road especially and I expect the swimming as well and of course Mo Farah. The Paralympics will also be of interest, given that I work with disabled adults. Two of the clients I work with took part in the Special Olympics earlier this year, which is a little known event for athletes with learning disabilities. One of them got a silver medal for downhill skiing, which is great for an autistic lad who can't even speak.   

Did anyone see the French gymnast breaking his leg? Just snapped it right in half during his land after a vault - it was flopping all over the place at the most horrifying angle! I felt rather sick when I saw it!

We're currently flipping between the cricket and the Olympics at the moment.  Loved watching Peaty break his own world record in the pool yesterday, and fantastic to see the men doing well at the gymnastics.  I missed the French gymnast Kell, but I think I'm glad I did, as I've heard others say it was horrific too. 

I love watching the sports we don't usually see, so I've watched some archery, fencing and water polo. :D

I have square eyes and  bottom keeping up with all the coverage via BBC online and red/blue button on the telly. Loving it though, great to see Andy Murray do so well in his first round and Johanna Konta. Was looking forward to more rowing but shame the weather  put paid to that. I stayed up late to watch swimming too last night....I'm suffering a bit now, but am tempted to get up for Adam Peaty at 2.53.

We're currently flipping between the cricket and the Olympics at the moment.  Loved watching Peaty break his own world record in the pool yesterday,

I was doing exactly the same as you, in the end I got tired and confused with what I was doing so stuck with the cricket.  I am glad to say we won.

I will be taping the highlights from the days events when I am at work so will catch up with it in the evening.

I have just watched the video of the gymnast breaking his leg, how awful, also not helpful were the people at the back that just put their head in their hands.

There is one thing to say about the Olympics you get to see so many different sports that you would not give time to during the rest of the year.

Watched some of the hockey, artistic gymnastics, volley ball, canoe slalom, diving, and not just team GB other teams as well.

Not forgetting tennis with Andy Murray and Johanna Konta, her last match was riveting.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really a sports fan - usually the only sport I make an effort to watch is the tennis come Wimbledon time - but for some reason I was hooked on the Olympics this year and probably watched more sport in those two weeks then I have in my entire life.  Weirdly the sport I loved the most was track cycling, to the point that I actually know what's going on now, although whether I'll remember in four years time is another matter!  Loved the swimming too, it's just a shame the majority of that was on in the middle of the night for us.