Yahoo sells off most of its business

Lumo

The Yahoo homepage was probably the first webpage I ever saw. Shortly after that, when we got the internet at home, I clearly remember the guy in the shop showing how the dial up modem worked then loading the yahoo homepage.

Then google came along and my interactions with yahoo dropped to near zero (it's now just the annoying search engine that firefox defaults to sometimes).

But I must admit, I am a bit sad or nostalgic to see yahoo sell off most of its business to other companies. It feels almost like the end of an era.

Yahoo to sell core web business to Verizon for nearly $5bn

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/25/yahoo-to-sell-core-web-business-to-verizon

That takes me back...! I first started using the WWW around 1995 and Yahoo was a big deal then - along with other search engines called Excite and Lycos. Lycos and Yahoo were trying to build content as well - news, groups, all that.

I remember an internet newsletter from a small company a few years later said "there's a new search engine called google - watch out for it, it looks really exciting"!!! I can using it and telling friends how easy to use and get relevant results it was...!

All seems a long time ago now.

• 1 month later...

First net was AOL for me, too, and I remember how insular the system was. Miss it in a strange way, and am even vaguely nostalgic for such unwieldy engines as Yahoo and Lycos, and website builders like Geocities and even Angelfire, the horrible simpleton it was, ha ha. Rather like being nostalgic for childhood, though, wanting these things back would require forgetting how clunky and basic they really were. 

First net was AOL for me, too, and I remember how insular the system was. Miss it in a strange way, and am even vaguely nostalgic for such unwieldy engines as Yahoo and Lycos, and website builders like Geocities and even Angelfire, the horrible simpleton it was, ha ha. Rather like being nostalgic for childhood, though, wanting these things back would require forgetting how clunky and basic they really were. 

I think that's spot on, sadly :)