Do you keep eggs in the fridge?

Lumo

Do you keep eggs in the fridge?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you keep eggs in the fridge?

• Yes
    • No

I keep them in the cupboard until I boil them (usually all at once), then I mark the boil date on the box and store em in the fridge for lunches :)

It's about the only sensible grown up food-related thing I do :lol:

In my house we keep the eggs in the cupboard if they're in a normal state, but put them in the fridge once they're boiled. I think in the US the eggs are washed before being released into the market, which cleans the egg but damages its protective coating; here the hens are vaccinated, so the eggs have no need to be washed before distribution.

All this egg washing business is new to me... I don't even understand what one would mean by unwashed eggs in the market.  :hide:

Edit: Googled it and read up on it. The things one learns each passing day... 

Edited by frankie

We don't usually buy eggs from the supermarket, we get ours from our own chicken. If you keep an egg in the fridge it will last longer (and so if you keep it out of the fridge it will go off sooner). For us it depends, we usually keep some eggs outside the fridge and some inside. It all depends on how long you want your eggs to last (of course, our eggs last longer than the supermarket ones because they are fresher). We try to make a distinction between the really fresh eggs and the older ones, because if you want to boil your egg it's quite hard to take the shell off properly if the egg was laid that same day. It is much easier when the egg is ie. a week old.

In the US we generally keep ours in the fridge. Mainly because of pasteurization. I was told that once the eggs are washed, they need to be kept cold.

Once an egg gets wet, you can't keep it as long anymore before it goes off (I don't know if cooling it helps, I imagine so). We generally have the rule, if the egg gets wet (ie. from the rain), then we have to eat it that same day. That's probably just us though, but that's what we do. Clearly supermarket eggs last longer than a day, but this is just what we do.

I had no idea about the washing of eggs meaning a natural protective coating is washed off. I had noticed that in the US the eggs were always very clean and always in the fridge, but it never occurred to me the two were connected.

Always have kept eggs in the fridge. We used to have Muscovy ducks, and those eggs are absolutely delicious.  Believe me, eggs need washing....can be pretty yucky otherwise. 

My reasoning is I've plenty of stuff that HAS to be in the fridge, like raw chicken, and I've only so much space. Nothing bad has ever come of eating eggs out of the cupboard so in the cupboard they live.

I keep the eggs in the fridge because that is what I have always done, I get mine from the farm shop down the road so there is nothing to say that I am right or wrong.

I've been keeping eggs in the fridge for as long as I can remember. It's very hot here during summer, even indoors and there isn't a cool place where I can store them. I remember seeing on Dr Oz (not sure if he's a credible source though) that it's not so good to keep them on the door since you open it very often and the temperature changes all the time. I usually get my eggs from the countryside but I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to storage. 

No. I used to but then heard they should be kept at room temp and as this is Blighty .. I don't have to worry about hot summers etc :D We have reasonably hot weather sometimes but I've never had an egg go off or anything. 

Also I don't keep tomatoes in the fridge .. as (allegedly :D) it kills the flavour. I have found they're nicer if not kept in fridge but they deteriorate quicker of course .. I just buy less. 

I know technically I shouldn't, according to all the experts' advice, but I do anyway. Largely because I don't have enough counter space in my kitchen!

No, I keep mine in a little basket on the counter. I get mine from a co-worker who keeps chickens, and I go through a dozen a week so they are always fresh.

Once an egg gets wet, you can't keep it as long anymore before it goes off (I don't know if cooling it helps, I imagine so). We generally have the rule, if the egg gets wet (ie. from the rain), then we have to eat it that same day. That's probably just us though, but that's what we do. Clearly supermarket eggs last longer than a day, but this is just what we do.

I've never heard this about eggs getting wet! :thud:

Also I don't keep tomatoes in the fridge .. as (allegedly :D) it kills the flavour. I have found they're nicer if not kept in fridge but they deteriorate quicker of course .. I just buy less. 

Really? It's never occurred to me to not keep tomatoes in the fridge. That probably explains why they are quite watery and tasteless. :o

No, I keep mine in a little basket on the counter.

I hope you don't put them all in just one, though?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Really? It's never occurred to me to not keep tomatoes in the fridge. That probably explains why they are quite watery and tasteless. :o

I always used to keep my tomatoes in the fridge, too! Then my flatmate who's a cook told me that they are best kept on the counter, otherwise they'd lose their taste and stuff.

Might be .. although tomatoes aren't what they used to be! :D They like a bit of sunshine and a bit of warmth .. so usually respond well to a sunny windowsill. Actually I mostly keep mine in the fruit bowl :lol:

I really object to those great big slices of tomato that restaurants/cafes insist on putting in with your burger! They usually taste of nothing and have the consistency of cotton wool!! I've been told that eating a tomato in Italy is a completely different experience .. must put that to the test one day :D 

Might be .. although tomatoes aren't what they used to be! :D They like a bit of sunshine and a bit of warmth .. so usually respond well to a sunny windowsill. Actually I mostly keep mine in the fruit bowl :lol:

I really object to those great big slices of tomato that restaurants/cafes insist on putting in with your burger! They usually taste of nothing and have the consistency of cotton wool!! I've been told that eating a tomato in Italy is a completely different experience .. must put that to the test one day :D 

I do wish that you could taste a tomato from my garden. It is next to Heaven-On-Earth. :) I wouldn't dream of storing a tomato in the Refrigerator. I usually have a tomato sandwich for lunch every day during the summer and I rank it No. 1 among all meals. Right now I have approx. 25 tomatoes sitting on the counter in various stages of ripeness. I usually pick my tomatoes just before they are fully ripe to keep the squirrels from getting them. :)

Now, about eggs. It depends on where you live. In the U.S. it is mandatory that they be refrigerated. However, in the U.K. people have a choice but take a risk if the eggs are imported. Salmonella is the problem. Read on......

http://www.medicaldaily.com/do-eggs-need-be-refrigerated-or-can-you-store-them-room-temperature-256872

Edited by muggle not