Hi! I'm new!

KathleenMacIver

Hello, everyone!

Cinthia Hamer recommended your book group as a great way to meet other readers and writers "across the pond"... so that's why I'm here!

I'm Katie, an American who loves Old World historical romances... especially those based in England, Scotland, and Ireland. (America just doesn't have enough history, unless you want to use Indians.) I'm also fascinated with your countries because my grandfather traced my father's ancestry back to when my ancestors came over from Scotland, Ireland, and England in the 1600-1840's.

When the writing bug hit me, it compelled me to write stories that include both present-day and historical Scotland... mostly because of the history over there, and because I've always loved mountains and couldn't help falling in love with the Highlands. I do NOT, however, want to be one of those American writers who makes up her own version of what Scotland and the Isles are like! I've read quite a few Scots complaining that they hate books Americans write set in Scotland, because they've got so much messed up... and I don't blame them. Sooo... I'm following as many Scot (especially Highland) blogs as I can find, reading books written by Scots, exploring the Highlands in Google Earth (great program!), studying the history of Scotland and trying to sort out the fact from the fiction... and hoping to make some friends over there as well!

So, having written what is probably far too much about me, I'm hoping that some of you will befriend me and let me be a part of your very interesting group!

hi katie and welcome to the friendliest book site on the net!!!! i'm carm from brooklyn new york and i found this site quite by accident and have loved every minute of being here- carm

hello and :( don't mind the crazy people; we don't bite. Just talk incesently (sp?) about subjects which are of no interest to anybody but ourselves, try to get you to go on our forums almost constantly and - sorry I'm doing it again :D

Haha... I guess I fit in here, then! Thanks!

My name is Paula! We are just doing the Orlando thing for the kids. :D

I'm about two hours south west of Orlando. Hope you'll all have fun!

And nice to meet you, Carm, and lovesreading!

-Katie

Hi Katleen, and :) to here! I'm from Malta actually - we have become quite international here! ;-))

Cool! I'm one of those people who is soooo glad to have been born in the Internet age, because I that's the only way I can afford to go globe-trotting! I love meeting people from other countries and other backgrounds... so many VERY interesting things to learn!

Hello, Katie, and :( to the forum! It's lovely to have another writer with us (we have a growing collection of them here now :) ). I look forward to hearing about your favourite books and authors, and also a bit about some of your own work!

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

Glad you enjoyed my website, Janet! I'm trying to make it interesting!

Well, Kell, right now my favorite author is Lynn Kurland. She writes Scotish and English time travel (with American characters mixed in) and they're my kind of story! In fact, hers inspired mine, although my stories are ending up with some major differences from hers... which is good. They have lots of romance, a little bit of action here and there... they're PG-rated, too, which is my preference. I recently found Dorothy Dunnett, and I'm working my way through the Lymond Chronicles, slowly. I also love Jane Austin... doesn't matter how many times I read her, I never get timed of P & P and Persuasion! Come to think of it, most of my favorite authors are either older authors, or they write in an older style. I'm an old-fashioned techie, if that's possible!

My first book, which I'm doing a re-write on, is about a 20th century American girl, who meets an American guy... who's not as American as she thought! She soon finds out that he grew up in the Highlands, until his father died when he was 9, at which time his Scottish aunt and her American husband adopted him and brought him to the US. He's got secrets, and since it's a time travel book, you can guess what one of them might be, but I won't tell you because if I ever sell this to a publisher, I don't want to ruin the story for everyone! :-)

It's fun writing, though, and I'm loving all the things I'm learning as I research! The only problem is, sometimes I spend 3 times as much time researching as I do writing! Hehehe.

So yes, Michelle, I like to read historical romance. It's my ultimate favorite, for all the reasons that you can probably guess!

Fishandchips, thanks for reminding me about Wales! Where do you live in Wales? (If you don't mind telling me.) I'd love to look it up on Google Earth!

Hi Nici and Judy!

Well... I haven't officially started the hunt yet. I finished the book and started a second, but then my writing skills grew enough to see plenty of room for improvement on that first one, so I'm doing a partial re-write. Once I'm happy with it again... and stay happy with it for long enough, then I'll start the agent hunt. Once I succeed at that milestone, I'll let the agent do the publisher hunt. :-)

So right now, I'm still in the free land of "have fun writing and researching." :-)

And now I'm off to look at your little town. :-)