Hi! I'm new!

KathleenMacIver

Hi Inver and Willow!

No, I haven't read Outlander/Cross-Stitch yet. The length of it has deterred me so far... not because I don't like long books, but because I am AWFUL at not putting down a book until I've finished it! LOL... I homeschool my three kids, and we're still trying to get the new school year into a schedule, so I can't afford to do it. Plus, Dorothy Dunnett's are pretty long, and I'm working on hers right now. You all have read them, right? They're set during the border wars in the 1500's... the hero is Scottish, but they don't portray the English as the bad guys, which I like... just two countries at war, so naturally people take sides.

(I finally got my signature, so I don't have to remember to sign these "Katie." :(

Katie - I'm reading White Rose Rebel by Jean Paisley at the moment and it's as Scottish as they come!! Lots of gaelic words, clans and the formation of the famous Black Watch Regiment in the mid 1700's. So far it's a very good read and I would recommend it - I don't know if it's available in the US yet though

Sounds great! I'll look into it!

The Black Watch always makes me think of Saturday mornings growing up. My Dad usually had work for us to do, so he'd put on his Black Watch album really loud and walk through the hallway clapping really loudly, and we'd come awake to the bagpipes playing Scotland the Brave. Some Saturdays I liked it, others I groaned and rolled my eyes, but they're fond memories now. :welcomeboard:

Katie I live in Caerphilly in South Wales. You can probably see the castle on google earth which is about 5 minutes walk from my house.

Good luck with your book. I am trying to write a book also, and its a lot harder than I thought it would be!