Pokemon go

Virginia

It's been insane here too! There are large groups of people congregating everywhere, and my Facebook timeline feed is full of stuff about it. I downloaded the app the other day but haven't opened yet. I don't know if I'll do anything with it. I got it more out of FOMO (fear of missing out).  :giggle2:

It's been insane here too! There are large groups of people congregating everywhere, and my Facebook timeline feed is full of stuff about it. I downloaded the app the other day but haven't opened yet. I don't know if I'll do anything with it. I got it more out of FOMO (fear of missing out).  :giggle2:

LOL!! That FOMO will get you every time!! I thought about it but decided to pass. I would want to do it with my son and he's not here so....at to the fact that its just so blasted HOT!

In the UK too, my eldest son (17) is a little obsessed with it and is trying to figure out a way to attach his phone to our very energetic dog so his eggs will hatch quicker! :D

There was a news article that I came across today that wanted the gamers to take their dogs with them when they go hunting. Who knows, maybe it'll promote world peace!!!

I posted about this in the game thread but nobody really goes in there.

I'm addicted to it. I have 50/150 pokemon as of today! Because I work in a university, in a city, I'm basically surrounded by Pokemon all day, and my GPS has problems with pinning down my location while in my office, so my avatar goes walkabout around the campus, racking up distance, pokestops and wild pokedudes. I have it open on my bed beside it right now in case anything pops up!

On Sunday I was bringing a friend to his bus, and we stopped at a Pokestop with a lure on it - and counted at least 8 other people gathered in pairs or trios swiping and giggling at their phones :lol:

I would try out the game, but my phone isn't good enough. I'm amazed by how many people are playing it, though. I never thought the game would be this popular.

Wow Noll, you've captured a lot of them! It's nice you got so many nearby :).

I'm honestly not surprised at all. Pokemon came out when I was around 12, which is 16 years ago now. This is the first release with just the original 150 pokemon in basically all that time. There is a huge nostalgia element for people who were the right age for it the first time around, and we all wanted to go catch Pokemon for real back then. Now, we can. On top of that, you have people who've never played Pokemon before discovering a different (though not new) kind of gaming experience that involves the environment around them, and on top of that you have people who have followed Pokemon faithfully through the years and will always dive on any new thing.

There are potential downsides, like walking in front of buses or people using lure locations for purposes other than catching Pokemon, but as the app says every time you start it up - everyone should constantly be careful and aware of their surroundings at all times. It's not the app's fault if someone walks into a road because they were so oblivious they literally didn't notice oncoming traffic. On the upside, it's gathering massive groups of people together - especially young people who might otherwise sit at home watching netflix, or who are socially anxious (like me). Already in my city a few locations are becoming regular meet up locations for people.

All in all, I think the fun and benefits outweigh the downsides :)

Well I thought it would be big in the U.S., I didn't know it would be big here in the Netherlands to be honest. Since most of the people I used to know never mentioned playing the games, I think I can count the people who I know / knew played any of the games on one hand. But there seem to be a lot of fans here too. There was an article in the local newspaper on it, so it must be popular. When I was in town though, I didn't see anyone playing it, but I might just not have noticed (there is so much to notice in a crowd of people).

That's true, the game has a lot of benefits. I agree that people should be careful.

I become a Pokemon master.

(And they're gonna release the other 1937658365384653 pokemon from the last 16 years at some stage, too :lol: )

Oh whew! I had visions of all these people wandering round with serious withdrawal symptoms! :giggle2:

That's an exact number is it?? We need names :rolol:

:D

I beat my first gym! And I'm pretty sure it got taken off me immediately, and then my phone died, but I did it! Defeated two pokemon, followed by one of them a second time to knock the gym down from level 2 to neutral and then put my Golduck in there. Muahaha!

23 pokes is really good if you don't have much local, Michelle! I'm in a university/city, which is why I've got so many. I feel sorry for people based in really rural places in the States who have to go for miles to get anything!

What happens when you lose at the gym? Do you lose a Pokemon? And what exactly are Pokestops? Pardon my ignorance!

I think I was a bit old for Pokemon when it first became big. If it was 16 years ago, as Noll says, then I was 18 at the time. I think it must have been popular with some people around my age though, because some of my former school friends are really into it.

Still haven't decided if I want to try it. I know everyone's doing it, but I think I'd feel silly walking around pointing my phone at (no)things. I get quite self-conscious in public (more so when I'm on my own). If this game managed to get me off my backside and walking around, it would truly be a miracle.  :giggle:

Noll, I do get quite a few pop up, but they're all the same few common ones. I evolved a few, and now I'm a higher level, I am finding more new ones if we go for a little walk.

We don't have many poke stops very close, but some a short walk away., so I have to go walking to stock up on my pokeballs!

I was never into Pokemon when I was younger, so I have no comparisons, and I'm really enjoying it.

My app crashes and freezes sometimes, but it is an unofficial copy. I've heard the official releases are meant to be a lot more stable.

Noll, I do get quite a few pop up, but they're all the same few common ones. I evolved a few, and now I'm a higher level, I am finding more new ones if we go for a little walk.

We don't have many poke stops very close, but some a short walk away., so I have to go walking to stock up on my pokeballs!

I was never into Pokemon when I was younger, so I have no comparisons, and I'm really enjoying it.

Same ones is okay too though - exactly, evolve them to gain experience, as evolving is one of the strongest actions in the game for exp. And yes, the higher your level, the stronger the pokes and often you'll find their evolved forms too.

Pokemon was my life when I was a kid, was obsessed. I still re-watch season one of the show maybe once every two years.

Viriginia, my copy of the app freezes/crashes, but it's also an unofficial release. I've heard the official releases are more stable.

I was reading  about this yesterday, and yes there are some concerns that unscrupulous people will use it to lure people into unsavoury situations (but then a lot of things do that anyway).  The distraction theory is a bit worrying too, especially when people are so busy on their phones they hardly look where they're going as it is (constantly dodging people glued to their phones or yapping away), however if it does bring groups together then that's good, let's hope they don't get so competitive that they start fighting over who got there first! Also there have been some reports that people have been barging into sensitive places, like Auschwitz and a holocaust museum in the US (can't remember why),  I think perhaps some places should maybe be left out, hopefully they won't start charging into hospitals or try to get into Fort Knox or anywhere like that! 

You can tell I was never into Pokémon can't you ;)

You never need to go inside a building to get anything, and anyone who does it playing the game wrong. There was an Australian police department which posted on Facebook telling people they didn't need to actually come inside the station to catch Sandshrew because people kept going in. You can catch Pokemon from quite a distance, and they're not actually put inside buildings, you can just happen to be inside a building when they appear. They'd still be there if you went outside.

I think like with all things, there are upsides and downsides to it. it doesn't help that it comes with no instructions hehe.

I was out on my phone earlier, so couldn't actually type much. So, let's see if I can remember some of the things I was going to say...

Virginia, the app might be a little buggy, but I think the main problems are with the servers.. I think even they were surprised how popular the app is, and they're trying to keep up!

I agree with Noll about the the negativity the app has had - you really can't blame the app for the way people act. For example, Amy is 12, an whilst she is allowed to walk straight into town to meet friends, she wouldn't be allowed to wander around the streets. This has in no way changed now the game is out.  We go out together for wanders around, to find pokestops etc, but she knows not to do this by herself. And if people want to wander out onto a road whilst playing, it's not the apps fault! 

Noll, you're right about the lack of instructions. This is all new to me, so I'm not really sure of the details. I'm tending to sell off my small common ones to get candy, so I can evolve on of them. Once I've stocked up on candy, and I have enough, is it best to evolve first, for the XP etc, and then transfer for another candy? 

Also - the bit about not having to go into a building made me laugh. When I first got the game, I thought you had to be very close, so was wandering up the street, and down my garden. I soon learnt, however, that I could stay in my living room!  :doh:

I've had to re-sign up 3 times because, for some reason, it keeps forgetting I signed up (despite catching Pokemon). So, for now, I'm giving it a rest. Maybe once they work out the bugs I can finally get a chance to really dive in.