#41 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

Hmm, I've listened to some audio books before and enjoyed them, particularly is the vocal performance is good. If it's monotonous or the performing reader makes no effort to differentiate between characters, then I lose interest. I have a theatrical background, and I take particular note of that sort of thing, though.

That said, like many people here I prefer reading with my eyes because I can absorb the material very quickly, in blocks rather than word by word. In fact, my tablet can produce an audio double of any ebook on it, and I've been amused by playing around with it in the past because even at the most almost inaudibly advanced speed (which I have read that blind readers often become very adapted to and hear perfectly clearly) my eyes can still absorb the material with greater alacrity. 

#42 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:31 PM

I don't know whether audio books for me personally would be a good thing or not.  My worry is that they might send me to sleep - not because the books themselves are boring as such, but just the sound of someone's voice in my ear for hours on end could be a bit monotonous.  

I find that listening to short stories in audio format is entertaining and side-steps this issue. I got involved with this because there is actually an audio listening bank online, which I made use of when I was moving overseas, just after I had to discard almost my entire physical book collection. The audio books kept me sane in that time. :)

There aren't any current best sellers there; all of the books are out of the copyright, and there are a lot of great, hidden or lost treasures, a lot of them zipped collections of different genre novels, stories, poetry, and non-fiction. It's also a collective project, so if you want, you can eventually contribute your own vocal performances.

If you want to give it a try, the site is here:

https://archive.org/...s/librivoxaudio

#43 Onion Budgie

Onion Budgie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:53 PM

This is a very interesting topic.

I have to admit I have never listened to an audio book before and I have no idea if I would count them as having read them, although I don't see why not.  I guess this is a personal thing though.

I don't know whether audio books for me personally would be a good thing or not.  My worry is that they might send me to sleep - not because the books themselves are boring as such, but just the sound of someone's voice in my ear for hours on end could be a bit monotonous.  I would be interested in giving it a go though.  How does one go about finding/purchasing audio books and what kind of price are they?  Are they cheaper than physical books? 

Just as a way of seeing if it's something you might enjoy, I'd suggest checking out YouTube.  Although YouTube is primarily a video site, there are countless audiobooks uploaded there, and all free, of course.  If you like what you find there, then you know you can explore further, at audible.com, for example.  :)

#44 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

Here's an interesting article about research which revealed that to a person's brain, listening to a book is similar as reading a book (found through Modern Mrs Darcy):

http://nymag.com/sci...t-cheating.html

Quoting a paragraph from the article:

This question — whether or not listening to an audiobook is “cheating” — is one University of Virginia psychologist Daniel Willingham gets fairly often, especially ever since he published a book, in 2015, on the science of reading. (That one was about teaching children to read; he’s got another book out next spring about adults and reading.) He is very tired of this question, and so, recently, he wrote a blog post addressing it. (His opening line: “I’ve been asked this question a lot and I hate it.”) If, he argues, you take the question from the perspective of cognitive psychology — that is, the mental processes involved — there is no real difference between listening to a book and reading it. So, according to that understanding of the question: No, audiobooks are not cheating.

#45 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:10 AM

I went through a stage of listening to audiobooks quite a bit, for a while. They were often memoirs read by the writer, so they felt more personal - I had 1 of Michael J Fox's, which was all the more moving having him tell me how he first noticed, and coped, with having Parkinson's Disease. I tended to stick to those as it was almost like having them tell ME their story personally. And I could listen while mowing the lawn or something (which very tedious otherwise!).

The worst ones are often the free ones where you get someone who's not especially interesting to listen to reading. Just as written books rely on good writing, so audio books rely on good writing AND good narration.

#46 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Just as a way of seeing if it's something you might enjoy, I'd suggest checking out YouTube.  Although YouTube is primarily a video site, there are countless audiobooks uploaded there, and all free, of course.  If you like what you find there, then you know you can explore further, at audible.com, for example.   :)

I didn't even think to look on YouTube.  Thanks for the suggestion!

#47 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

You can always check out samples on Amazon too.

I love audio books, especially ones read by the author. I really like Amazon's Immersion Reading, where the audio follows the text. The audio is pretty cheap if you buy the book. And I definitely count them! There was a time this year where all I could do was Immersion Reading.

#48 Autumn

Autumn

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

You can always check out samples on Amazon too.

Really?  I didn't know you could do that.  With the amount of time I spend on that site, you'd have thought I would have figured that out.  Thanks.

#49 Anna Begins

Anna Begins

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 4,303 posts
  • Reading now?:Roots by Alex Haley
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Really?  I didn't know you could do that.  With the amount of time I spend on that site, you'd have thought I would have figured that out.  Thanks.

Lol I am an Amazon devote!

#50 Lau_Lou

Lau_Lou

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Picture Of Dorian Gray ~ Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:47 PM

I personally need to read a physical book simply because I prefer it. I love everything about them and I find it very difficult to get into audiobooks.
I do however think they are one of the best inventions.

#51 MsBooberella

MsBooberella

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Reading now?:Down Shift by K. Bromberg

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:45 PM

I only ever listen to audiobooks if I have already read the book version of it. Audiobooks to me are just the cherry on top of a really good story I enjoyed a lot.

#52 setgoblen

setgoblen

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

I tried audio books in my car or late at night, it doesn't work for me. In my car my mind tends to wonder around, and listening at night just makes me sleep. :) 

#53 Flip Martian

Flip Martian

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationNear Milton Keynes, UK

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

I tried listening to 1 in the car once - big mistake, I couldn't concentrate on it as I was too busy watching the road. Conversation with my wife in the car I can handle - can't listen to someone telling a story though.

#54 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I tried listening to 1 in the car once - big mistake, I couldn't concentrate on it as I was too busy watching the road. Conversation with my wife in the car I can handle - can't listen to someone telling a story though.

I only EVER do audio when I'm driving alone or else I'd spend all my time rewinding.

#55 Madeleine

Madeleine

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,334 posts
  • Reading now?:The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
  • LocationSE England

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

I couldn't listen to one in the car either, way too distracting.

#56 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,749 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

I've been listening to audiobooks much more often recently, and I do listen to them in the car.  I don't find them in the least distracting, unlike listening to music, which I do think distracts and also tends to block out the ambient noise around the car.  I used to be only able to listen to books I'd already read in this way, as otherwise I didn't take it all in, but as I've listened more, it's become a habit to be able to take in far more of what I'm listening to, and I can listen to books I've not read and still get as much from the experience as I would reading off the page. 

#57 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,914 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

I definitely think listening to them gets easier with practice.  :)  I listen to them in the car and don't find them in the least distracting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users