What's Up in July 2016?

Athena

I've never used a Mac either, good luck!

This morning I had my dentist appointment (cavity + cleaning) (with my new dentist). I'm so glad it's over now. My mouth still hurts from all the things done on it, and one side is numb from the aenaesthetic. Hopefully it'll all feel more like 'normal' in a few hours. I'm glad it's over again, for 5 months.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started working/training from home today. I started with a bang, lol!!

I got my mac last Friday and set it up. Yesterday I called tech to find out how to maneuver around the computer and to get the password set up. I also needed assistance with my headset. Well, this morning I was ready and had logged on five minutes early, only to hit a brick wall. NOTHING wanted to work right! I was finally able to get with a tech who got me logged in, then I spent the first 1.5 hour getting on my trainers nerves (bless her heart, lol!) because I am an apple virgin. This screen will take a LOT of getting used to. 

Lunch has been had, coffee consumed and now I feel a bit more able to face the mac. If the coffee doesn't help, then there is no help to be had. House work has been done and its so cool to be able to roam around the house a little and see the hubby and the doggy when I step out of my office. 

Macs can be very confusing if one hasn't used them. The other week on a mac, I had to download a file and save it to a memory stick (something I do with PCs all the time), I had probably not used a mac for over 5 years and I felt like a kid who had never used a computer before. Things are in the wrong place and other things that seem they should really obvious just don't seem to be there at all!

This morning I had my dentist appointment (cavity + cleaning) (with my new dentist). I'm so glad it's over now. My mouth still hurts from all the things done on it, and one side is numb from the aenaesthetic. Hopefully it'll all feel more like 'normal' in a few hours. I'm glad it's over again, for 5 months.

Owch - hope it is all OK when the numbness goes down.

Hi all, where did that last month or so go?  Everything suddenly got extremely busy and I had a series of events one after the other. From my husband going off to Download festival for 5 days and having to get my mum to stay over to help with the kids & the dog, organising & hosting my son's 4th birthday party in our garden (never again), staying at my parents for a week with the kids whilst our bathroom was ripped out and redone, then going off on holiday to Lanzarote for a week (which was lovely), followed by school settling in visits for my son (how did that come around so quick?). All that alongside the Brexit palaver, more sad celebrity deaths and crazy happenings in Nice and Turkey.

This week has been a little less busy and I thought it was about time I caught up on the 8 (?!) pages of posts I'd missed. :)

Hi all, where did that last month or so go?  Everything suddenly got extremely busy and I had a series of events one after the other. From my husband going off to Download festival for 5 days and having to get my mum to stay over to help with the kids & the dog, organising & hosting my son's 4th birthday party in our garden (never again), staying at my parents for a week with the kids whilst our bathroom was ripped out and redone, then going off on holiday to Lanzarote for a week (which was lovely), followed by school settling in visits for my son (how did that come around so quick?). All that alongside the Brexit palaver, more sad celebrity deaths and crazy happenings in Nice and Turkey.

This week has been a little less busy and I thought it was about time I caught up on the 8 (?!) pages of posts I'd missed. :)

I think you need to take a tea break!

Spent yesterday evening after work doing more related work stuff. I ran out to get some carrots to nibble on, popcorn for my desk snacks and notebook/pens for note taking. I then spent another two hours on the phone with Apple tech to make sure I didn't experience the complete and utter cluster that I did yesterday. By the time I got done doing everything needed for a smooth start this morning, I had a relatively smooth login!

I did get up early to go to do blood work before work started. I go on to a military hospital. Trying to get on base after 0800 is just crazy. Two gates and they were both clogged with traffic so I turned around and came home as I didn't want to be late for work. It was a good call on my part as I did need some addition help logging onto the Apple Blackboard. 

I feel SO much more relaxed today. Hope I'm not TOO relaxed!

I had two teeth removed earlier this year. It was the BEST feeling after having excruciating pain for almost a year. Our dental insurance wasn't picking up the cost like they were supposed to, but luckily we were able to finally get the needed care. Make sure you get plenty of rest.

Did you visit the haunted St. Augustine lighthouse, Dtrpath?  :giggle: 

Good luck with being an Apple tech, Virginia!  You never know I may be calling you one day.

Rest up and heal, Athena, and at least it's over!  I'm the world's biggest chicken when it comes to seeing the dentist.

I'm glad this week is coming to a close.  I've been training my replacement all week at work and it's pretty disheartening. Luckily starting on Monday I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks and I'm so looking forward to it!  At the cabin, in the middle of the woods and with all of my siblings under one roof.  I can't even remember when the last time that has happened.

Hope everyone has a happy rest of their week and weekend :D

Owch - hope it is all OK when the numbness goes down.

Thanks, Lumo :). Things are okay now :).

Wow, it sounds like you've been busy!

I feel SO much more relaxed today. Hope I'm not TOO relaxed!

I'm glad you feel better today :).

I had two teeth removed earlier this year. It was the BEST feeling after having excruciating pain for almost a year. Our dental insurance wasn't picking up the cost like they were supposed to, but luckily we were able to finally get the needed care. Make sure you get plenty of rest.

That sounds very painful, I'm so glad your pain is much better now!

Rest up and heal, Athena, and at least it's over!  I'm the world's biggest chicken when it comes to seeing the dentist.

I'm glad this week is coming to a close.  I've been training my replacement all week at work and it's pretty disheartening. Luckily starting on Monday I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks and I'm so looking forward to it!  At the cabin, in the middle of the woods and with all of my siblings under one roof.  I can't even remember when the last time that has happened.

Hope everyone has a happy rest of their week and weekend :D

Thanks Peacefield, I'm so glad it's over! I find the dentist's appointments one of the worst things.

I hope you have a great rest of the week and weekend too :).

For whatever reason I cannot get past page one. I've signed off, closed the page and I still can't go further than the bottom of the page. Ugh,

I'm not sure what could be going on, but if you have a technical problem, maybe you could post in the 'Using the Board' section with more specifics (ie. are you using the mac or your phone).

Today I plan to rest and relax (I think I need that after yesterday).

This morning there was a pidgeon stuck in the net above our brown chicken. We've covered most of the chicken pens with nets because of predators. I managed to free the pidgeon and it flew off.

I'm glad this week is coming to a close.  I've been training my replacement all week at work and it's pretty disheartening. Luckily starting on Monday I'll be on vacation for 2 weeks and I'm so looking forward to it! 

That's crazy. Why on earth do they need to replace you if you have to train the replacement?

That's crazy. Why on earth do they need to replace you if you have to train the replacement?

Because my job is being outsourced overseas come November and they don't have to pay my replacement as much, Noll :(.  And it's crazy, I agree!

I'm not sure what could be going on, but if you have a technical problem, maybe you could post in the 'Using the Board' section with more specifics (ie. are you using the mac or your phone).

Today I plan to rest and relax (I think I need that after yesterday).

This morning there was a pidgeon stuck in the net above our brown chicken. We've covered most of the chicken pens with nets because of predators. I managed to free the pidgeon and it flew off.

Yeah, I didn't mean to post it here but I couldn't delete it. I realized however, that the issue was with my Galaxy S6. Seems for the first time I couldn't respond to posts on the phone. Worked perfectly on my tablet.

Got up early this am to go get the blood drawn. I was there by 0715 and was home by 0800, had some quiet time with tea and fiddled with my mac a bit. Now Its work time! I'm getting a tad bit more comfortable in this environment which is good because the work will only get more complicated. I now need to work on a daily schedule, I don't want to just roll out of bed walk to my office and then get off the computer and go to bed. So I'll make sure I sit on my patio in the morning, maybe take a little walk around my block during my lunch, a workout after I get off. I need to move!

Edited by Virginia

Day 4 of Apple training. Pretty good but it does take some getting used to with sitting still all day. Normally, I can sit still with no problem but yesterday, after lunch and a storm, it was SO hard to not fall asleep! I think I actually lost consciousness for about 5-10 minutes, not sure, lol!! I think I'll power nap during lunch today. I took the dog for a walk, cleaned the kitchen did some light house work, moved my modem, showered and was asleep before 10. 

Got up, fixed hubby breakfast, walked the dog, had a quiet moment, showered and hit the computer. I think I might be alright with this new schedule.

It has been quite a while since I posted a great deal on here, which has been for various reasons. It has though so far been a very interesting year. My Manager at work left at the end of April and I applied to be his replacement but sadly did not quite succeed. We have a new Manager though who has made some interesting changes that have challenged one or two people, but not me, as there were all changes that were very much needed, many of which I had already suggested myself. It is good then to see a lot of my idea being put into practise.

I had a week exploring the Gower Peninsula in South Wales during the 2nd week of July which was brilliant. Days filled with reading, walking for miles across deserted sandy beaches, exploring standing stones and burial mounds, and of course trying the local brews, which were really very good. I stayed at a converted lifeboat station right on the beach which was great fun.

Coran and I are going to Trans Pride in Brighton tomorrow as well which should also be fun and an interesting day out.  

Day 4 of Apple training.

I'm glad things are going okay for you.

It has been quite a while since I posted a great deal on here, which has been for various reasons. It has though so far been a very interesting year. My Manager at work left at the end of April and I applied to be his replacement but sadly did not quite succeed. We have a new Manager though who has made some interesting changes that have challenged one or two people, but not me, as there were all changes that were very much needed, many of which I had already suggested myself. It is good then to see a lot of my idea being put into practise.

I had a week exploring the Gower Peninsula in South Wales during the 2nd week of July which was brilliant. Days filled with reading, walking for miles across deserted sandy beaches, exploring standing stones and burial mounds, and of course trying the local brews, which were really very good. I stayed at a converted lifeboat station right on the beach which was great fun.

Coran and I are going to Trans Pride in Brighton tomorrow as well which should also be fun and an interesting day out.

Sorry to hear you didn't get to be the manager. I'm happy though you got some changes which you felt where needed. That sounds like a nice holiday. I hope you enjoy your day out in Brighton!

This weekend I plan to mainly rest. My mouth is almost back to normal, just a few mildly sore spots.

Week off for me this week.  I've had a very lazy weekend and done practically nothing.  We've got some running around to do tomorrow, and then I'm off to the cinema to see The BFG with a couple of friends midweek. ;)  

Other than that, I don't have anything planned.  Might try and go through all my sewing stuff, and see if I can sort out some better storage, and maybe even get some organisation going. :lol:  I need to sort out what my next sewing project will be, as I tried to sit down and do something yesterday but ended up just pushing bits of fabric around without actually achieving anything.

God I'd love a week off. Other than Christmas - which is, once I get to my parents house, the most stressful and depressing thing I have to endure every year - I haven't had a week off since April last year as my holidays are pro rata in my indefinite-length contract, so I use my holidays regularly as days off because if I wait the three months necessary to work up a week off, I might lose the week and my job at any given time. So, instead, taking Friday off to go with the bank holiday Monday for a four-day weekend. Definitely better than nothing.

Slighly stressful week at work, which in fairness is nothing compared to the week I'm gonna have next week.

On Friday I went to a pokeparty in the park, which was hundred of people gathering to plant lures in Pokemon Go and catch pokemon. It was great fun, and healthy as I walked about 7km in laps around the park!

Yesterday went to town for the first time in two weeks, as I've been sick and it's been too hot, and got drain cleaner to unblock the bathroom sink (because my housemate, the only other person using that sink on a daily basis and who is near town five days or more a week, wouldn't have the sense or awareness to think of getting drain unblocker herself. She also hasn't fixed the lawnmower she broke nearly three weeks ago. That'll be me next Friday dragging the thing 10 mins up the road myself to get it sorted). So happy the sink is useable again. Also did some cleaning yesterday.

Today I've just chilled, read and slept all day, because I think I've earned it.

Week off for me this week.  I've had a very lazy weekend and done practically nothing.  We've got some running around to do tomorrow, and then I'm off to the cinema to see The BFG with a couple of friends midweek. ;)  

Other than that, I don't have anything planned.  Might try and go through all my sewing stuff, and see if I can sort out some better storage, and maybe even get some organisation going. :lol:  I need to sort out what my next sewing project will be, as I tried to sit down and do something yesterday but ended up just pushing bits of fabric around without actually achieving anything.

I hope you have a great week off :).

God I'd love a week off. Other than Christmas - which is, once I get to my parents house, the most stressful and depressing thing I have to endure every year - I haven't had a week off since April last year as my holidays are pro rata in my indefinite-length contract, so I use my holidays regularly as days off because if I wait the three months necessary to work up a week off, I might lose the week and my job at any given time. So, instead, taking Friday off to go with the bank holiday Monday for a four-day weekend. Definitely better than nothing.

(...)

Today I've just chilled, read and slept all day, because I think I've earned it.

Wow, what a shame about your holidays. I'm glad you can have a day off now and then though. It makes sense you don't want to lose your job. Sorry to hear about the stressful times and the stressful times coming up. The pokeparty sounds fun. How annoying about the housemate not helping out (especially not since she broke the lawnmower). Good luck with the lawn mower. I'm glad your sink is fixed.

You do deserve that!

I went into town the other day and while I was at the supermarket queuing up to pay, one of the other customers queuing up, collapsed. She hit her head on the floor / side board, and became unconsious. It was scary. I hope she made it :(.

I went into town the other day and while I was at the supermarket queuing up to pay, one of the other customers queuing up, collapsed. She hit her head on the floor / side board, and became unconsious. It was scary. I hope she made it :(.

Wow, I hope she's okay! I've had that happen to me a few times, its scary. 

Today is my day off, I had to go to the university to try and correct my residency status. It seems that me changing campus (still with the same university) caused my admission to be red flagged as a non-resident student, i.e. out of state tuition. I'm NOT paying for out of state tuition when I've lived in THIS state for over 20 years. I tried to do it online but the system is just stupid, I had to go to the campus so that the folks working at the registrar's office could see what I was dealing with. I think we may have some kind of resolve.

I then made a library run. I love my library but its been frustrating as they are doing major reno's on all 4 floors. The movies/audio has been locked up and will be moved but it will be a few weeks before we can check them out again or we have to place a hold online. The thing is, the best part about getting dvd's is walking along the aisles perusing the shelve. Oh well, it'll eventually work itself out and all will be as it should be.

The heat is EVILLLLL. I can't be out and about longer than a couple of hours because it just drains me. So I"m in and out. Tomorrow I have to get out earlier than usual to go grocery shopping before work, then I should be pretty much stationary the rest of the week.

Fall can't get here soon enough.

I hope the university stuff gets sorted. It's not nice that it's harder to be at the library at the moment, I hope the work will be done sooner rather than later. I'm happy to have a bit more summer here, before it gets to be fall, but I hope for you it will cool down over there soon.

I have an appointment today with someone who I guess can be described as my therapist, but not quite. After that, I will need to rest for a while.

Hi! 

It's been a while since I posted something here! Sorry but lately a lot of things changed. Since April I'm self-employed as I didn't find a job in a company. I'm a graphic designer so I'm designing logos, websites and infographics. I have some projects but for little money, I hope it will be better with time. I'm very busy trying to learn how to get new clients, how to make invoices and budgets and how to improve my little "company". So because of this I won't have summer holidays, but it's ok. I settled a timetable for workig which is from 7.30 to 15.30, usually I finish at 16 or 17hs because every day I have something more to do but it's ok, I have some free time. 

Now I'm going to Speaking English classes, I want to improve my speaking and pronuntiation. 

Last week I went to sales and I bought two bikis, one trouser and socks, I need everything so it was a good afternoon. 

Athenea how was your appointment? 

Virginia good luck with the Mac and working from home!!! I'm like you now (more or less) and it could be a bit boring working from home. 

Nollaig what a shame about your holidays!!!

Hi Sabry! Nice to hear from you :). It must be hard to be self-employed, I hope you will get lots of clients. Good luck with the English classes!

My appointment was good, thanks.

This morning I woke up quite early because of a mosquito buzzing around my head. I've been bitten 5 times. I really don't like the things, and unfortunately we have so many in the garden, it's hard to prevent them from coming in (I'm trying my very best though, and compared with how many there are outside, I think it's not that bad inside at all in comparison).

Not too much going on with me in July - normally I commute by train to London from where I live (just outside Milton Keynes) but since June that's been out of the question due to ill health, so I've been spending all my time at home, getting under my wife's feet! :). After lots of blood tests she thinks I may have chronic fatigue (yay, lucky me!) so currently I'm at home, resting and waiting for my hospital referral (she wants the consultant to make the diagnosis, which seems reasonable). Hospital not until September - I'm due to go back to work in 2 weeks. I'm not quite sure whether I'll be okto do that but they've been pretty understanding and there's no pressure, yet.

In the meantime, I'm reading, when the brain fog subsides enough and I can concentrate and doing lots of web surfing (which is how I found this place last week), with the occasional day time naps! We have a couple of days booked in Hunstanton on the Norfolk coast next week - my wife's idea to get some sea air before I go back to work. She's even offered to drive, if I can't. Can't wait. I have some used bookshops in that area on my google map on my phone, so hopefully I'll have some energy for shopping ;)

My boyfriend has chronic fatigue, I'm sorry to hear you might have it too. It's not an easy syndrome to live with. I feel for him every day when he feels so tired. I hope the doctors will be able to figure out what's going on with your health.

I wish you fun on your days out :).

Today I spent a while helping my mum. I feel pretty tired now, so I plan to rest tomorrow. I've been wanting to bake cookies but I've just not felt up to it. Maybe tomorrow.. but it'll really depend on how tired I feel.

Thanks, Athena - it could be worse - it could be painful as well, I guess. Thankful for what I do have. As for your cookies - one thing I am learning is patience, so  - if not today, then there's always tomorrow; or even the day after. :) The only pressure is that we put ourselves under.

The only pressure is that we put ourselves under.

Can I tell my boss that :roll: Sorry to hear about your health, I can't imagine what that must be like. Hopefully you'll get some answers one way or another soon.

I on the other hand, am merely tired, but oh so bloody tired. One more day, then four day weekend, the first of which is payday. Cannot. Friggin. Wait.