What's Up in July 2016?

Athena

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you're enjoying your sister, Gaia!

I'm enjoying spending time with my sister :). She is leaving in the later afternoon today.

It sounds like you're pretty busy, Virginia! Good luck with it all. I hope the temperature there cools down for you soon.

Oh that's way too hot.

Hope you get your internet/cable installed.

Have a good weekend, hope your ankle eases up - I bet that heat doesn't help it!

Yesterday it was 104! I melted. Right now its 98' but its only 2pm 

The guy came yesterday and it only took him about 20 minutes to put in the line, yay!

The ankle is on and off. I had to go out today and forgot the pain for a minute. The pain however, did not forget me.

I'm enjoying spending time with my sister :). She is leaving in the later afternoon today.

It sounds like you're pretty busy, Virginia! Good luck with it all. I hope the temperature there cools down for you soon.

Glad you were able to enjoy your sister!

Don't see any relief with the weather. The south is notorious for its heat and humidity. It'll be like this pretty much til the end of September.

So, I was about to go on amazon to order a new desk when I happened to scan through one of my local for sale pages. Lo and behold, a lovely lady was selling a nice desk for only $15!!! I went and picked it up this morning and not only did I get a great desk dirt cheap, I met a lovely lady who I have a lot in common with. We'll meet up when our schedules allow.

I got home and went through the process of clearing out my old fashioned scroll desk (envelope shelves, etc) and finding places to put everything. It didn't take as long as I thought and now I'm done. I'm sitting at my new desk and typing on my laptop. I love it. My old desk was not conducive to computers. Its mainly functional for paperwork and nick knacks. 

We didn't want to get rid of the older desk so its been moved into the den and will serve as a holder of all things military (hubby's awards, etc). 

Ankle is painful and its still hot. I'm going to take a shower, climb into my recliner with my water bottle and book and doze off.

So, I was about to go on amazon to order a new desk when I happened to scan through one of my local for sale pages. Lo and behold, a lovely lady was selling a nice desk for only $15!!! I went and picked it up this morning and not only did I get a great desk dirt cheap, I met a lovely lady who I have a lot in common with. We'll meet up when our schedules allow.

That's so nice :).

My sister has gone back home, so I plan to rest a bit today as I feel pretty tired. If I feel up for it, I'll make sushi for dinner tonight.

Had a friend down over the weekend, and we had a lovely time. Unfortunately i started getting a cold right at the start of it, and felt pretty rough for parts of it. Stayed off work today, currently every time I cough I feel like I'm being stabbed in the chest.

Had a friend down over the weekend, and we had a lovely time. Unfortunately i started getting a cold right at the start of it, and felt pretty rough for parts of it. Stayed off work today, currently every time I cough I feel like I'm being stabbed in the chest.

I'm glad you had a great time with your friend :). I'm sorry to hear you're having a cold, I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

I went to see my brother's presentation (the final one for his master research). It was good :). I'm proud of him.

Aaagh one of our managers suggested we all go ice-skating for our Xmas party - nooooooo!  does she want us all in A & E/the fracture clinic?  Apart from even mentioning that time of year in July....

The desk sounds gorgeous, Virginia - those old desks are lovely, glad it's found a good home.

Hope you feel better soon Nollaig.

Bone tired. I did my orientation training, a load of laundry, tidying up my office space. I had to go out to dry my clothes and the heat seems to have drained what little energy I had. I think I need a nap but if I take it now (4pm) I may have a hard time going to bed tonight.

Choices,choices.

Hope your brother enjoyed himself and wasn't too nervous.

Thinking it's not long now til shops will be selling scary costumes and be decorated with ghosts and ghouls.

Where is this year going?

Thanks Lau Lou. I think he was maybe a bit nervous (but I don't know, I didn't ask him), but he did really well :). He got a great grade, too, I'm happy for him and proud of him.

The year's gone by pretty fast, hasn't it? 

Bought tickets for books event with Alexander McCall Smith in September :)

I wish you lots of fun :)!

Aaagh one of our managers suggested we all go ice-skating for our Xmas party - nooooooo!  does she want us all in A & E/the fracture clinic?  Apart from even mentioning that time of year in July....

July seems too soon to be making Christmas plans for an Xmas party at work, but I guess maybe these things have to be planned ahead or something? I don't normally think of Christmas much yet when it's July. Ice skating can be dangerous but it doesn't have to be so, my brother and sister have been ice skating with their friends and they were fine. Me personally though, I haven't done any ice skating since I was a child, and I don't know if I would try it again. I understand you're afraid of something going wrong.

Bone tired. I did my orientation training, a load of laundry, tidying up my office space. I had to go out to dry my clothes and the heat seems to have drained what little energy I had. I think I need a nap but if I take it now (4pm) I may have a hard time going to bed tonight.

I hope you feel less tired soon, Virginia.

Congrats to your brother on his presentation, Athena!  He must be very proud of himself :D.

Feel better soon, Noll!  And Madeleine, ice skating?  I loved doing it as a kid and was a so-called 'rink rat,' but I'm glad we've never done anything like that for our holiday parties here at work :lol: 

Do you get any break from the heat at night, Virginia?  Remind me that when I finally visit the SE that I do it in the middle of winter ;).  It's been very hot and humid here over the weekend and yesterday.  We've had bad storms and my brother said we lost 2 trees up at the cabin :(.  So many of our big trees are over 150 years old so I hate to hear when they come down!  Last night there were tornadoes about 1.5 hours NW of me and so many homes and businesses were destroyed.  Sometimes I really dislike Mother Nature!

Nothing planned for me this week but the usual.  This coming weekend I'll head up to the cabin so I'm looking forward to that :D.

Hope all of you are doing well! I thought I'd pop in and say hi since its been quite a while :) 

:011:

Hey Abbey, I was wondering how you were doing! Hope all is wel!!

Peacefield, we're lucky if the temps drop to the high 90's at night. Just draining.

Got a pretty pink cane today.

Congrats to your brother on his presentation, Athena!  He must be very proud of himself :D.

Thanks, Peacefield :).

Do you get any break from the heat at night, Virginia?  Remind me that when I finally visit the SE that I do it in the middle of winter ;).  It's been very hot and humid here over the weekend and yesterday.  We've had bad storms and my brother said we lost 2 trees up at the cabin :(.  So many of our big trees are over 150 years old so I hate to hear when they come down!  Last night there were tornadoes about 1.5 hours NW of me and so many homes and businesses were destroyed.  Sometimes I really dislike Mother Nature!

Nothing planned for me this week but the usual.  This coming weekend I'll head up to the cabin so I'm looking forward to that :D.

I'm sorry to hear about the trees, that's sad :(. I hope you have fun at the cabin! 

Hope all of you are doing well! I thought I'd pop in and say hi since its been quite a while :) 

:011:

Hey, good to see you again!! How've you been? 

Got a pretty pink cane today.

That sounds nice :).

Hey Virginia and Athena!  :friends3: Ooo, yay for a pink cane! Everything is much better in pink. :D

I've mostly been quiet because I've been a big downer about my feet (Been having procedures on them every 1-2 weeks for the last few months) but I'm finally feeling a little better now. I've been doing lots of reading and writing and am finally looking to have gastric bypass around November! The surgeon wants me to lose 40 lbs on my own before then so I'm hitting the diet hard starting Monday. 

How have you guys been? 

Hey Virginia and Athena!  :friends3: Ooo, yay for a pink cane! Everything is much better in pink. :D

I've mostly been quiet because I've been a big downer about my feet (Been having procedures on them every 1-2 weeks for the last few months) but I'm finally feeling a little better now. I've been doing lots of reading and writing and am finally looking to have gastric bypass around November! The surgeon wants me to lose 40 lbs on my own before then so I'm hitting the diet hard starting Monday. 

How have you guys been? 

Sorry about the feet. I can definitely understand how limiting it can be! Way to go on the GP surgery! Guess now's the time to get everything lined up and squared away before the surgery. Are you still working from home?

I spent the day doing something that I've been meaning to do for a few weeks. Actually, it should have been done a while ago. I "got my affairs in order." Not insurance or anything like that. See, here's the thing. In my home I handle all the bills and paperwork. If anything were to happen to me, my hubby would be totally lost. I've been gradually getting him used to using technology. He's 56 and a mechanic, I finally got him to use a smartphone a couple years ago. 

Anyway, I was on my way to Virginia to visit my mom when I thought, "if something happened to me on this road, hubby wouldn't know that the light bill is due and will be disconnected if not in by such and such!" Well, I decided then and there that as soon as I could, I'd commit all of our important stuff to paper. Today I went to Walmart and got some page protectors and a binder. I then spent the remaining morning writing down pin numbers, account numbers, bills (due dates, how they are paid) putting all of our insurance information in one place, etc. What a great relief to have everything done and in easy access for him or one of the kids. 

I also purchased one of those Happy Planners http://shop.meandmybigideas.com/collections/create-365 to further get my life organized. I love it so much that I'm ordering two more for our girls.

Tomorrow my Mac computer comes in. I'll spend the weekend getting familiar with it. My training with Apple starts Tuesday. The home office is now a cozy home work environment. Its actually my office/girl cave!. I have a recliner, bookshelves, doggy bed, small telly, crafting table, blanket, heater...all the stuff I used to wish I could have in my own office when I worked outside of home.

The ankle is painful. I just took the blasted brace off. I'll walk only if I have to til bedtime and when I do, I'm on my cane. 

Oh! Walmart has put out the school supplies so I managed to get lots of stuff for the grands. I'm working on a goody box to send them. Diva kits for the little princess and cool stuff for the boys. I'm including the crayons, glue and all the other stuff to help out with their schooling. Mommy and daddy homeschool and these things REALLY help out a lot. I'm also sending a kit to Texas for my other grands. Their parents are also homeschooling. 

Guess I've rambled on enough! 

How have you guys been?

Hey! Sorry to hear about your feet, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now though. Good luck with the diet! :friends3:

I'm allright, I've been tired lately but I've been doing a lot so it makes sense. My brother has finished his master research and will get his diploma in a while. He's going on a world trip in 80 days, next month, with STORM and its electric motor cycles. His girlfriend should be getting back from Costa Rica soon. My sister and her boyfriend have almost finished their PhD's. Michael (my boyfriend) is allright, not really any changes in his tiredness, he has better days and worse days.

Anyway, I was on my way to Virginia to visit my mom when I thought, "if something happened to me on this road, hubby wouldn't know that the light bill is due and will be disconnected if not in by such and such!" Well, I decided then and there that as soon as I could, I'd commit all of our important stuff to paper. Today I went to Walmart and got some page protectors and a binder. I then spent the remaining morning writing down pin numbers, account numbers, bills (due dates, how they are paid) putting all of our insurance information in one place, etc. What a great relief to have everything done and in easy access for him or one of the kids.

This sounds like a sensible thing to do :).

My Apple computer arrived and after a few minor adjustments (had to move my internet modem into my office) it's up and running. I still need to test the headsets though because the instructions are a little but confusing.

Cable/internet companies no longer install telephone jacks. It's included in the modem. The phone box that I will use to receive inbound calls must be plugged into the jack. I almost freaked out because I thought I was going to have to have one installed. I'm sure glad I remembered about the modem! Just needed to change rooms.

Guess I'll check out the bohemeth over the weekend to get used to the training board.

My favourite fabric shop is closing at the end of next week, so made a special trip over there yesterday afternoon to pick up some new fabrics, then stopped in to see my dad on the way home.

Today, I had to take a new print I bought to the picture framers, and I used a different framer than I've used in the past, and although the price seems reasonable, I didn't feel their selection of frames was as good.  I like the one I've picked and it should be ready in about 10 days.

After that, I went to an exhibition of quilts by the local Quilters Guild.  It was being held in the home of one of the members, and they'd spread the quilts out all over the four storey house.  There were some lovely quilts, but they were all very traditional and even old fashioned, and although I could appreciate the work that had gone into them, they weren't really my cup of tea.

Back home for an afternoon of my own quilting, and I've finished off the new cushion cover I've been making so I just need to order the cushion pad to go in it now!  It's a large cushion so the don't keep the size I want in stock and have to order it online, but it'll only take a couple of days, so should be ready to be used very soon.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend :)

Drove four hours to Florida today to take my daughter to a concert. We ordered room service before the show, and I am as sick as can be. I have been taking medicine like mad trying to hold it together. I made it through the opening act, now just another couple hours until I can get back to the hotel.

My Apple computer arrived and after a few minor adjustments (had to move my internet modem into my office) it's up and running.

Good luck with the computer!

My favourite fabric shop is closing at the end of next week, so made a special trip over there yesterday afternoon to pick up some new fabrics, then stopped in to see my dad on the way home.

Sorry to hear about the shop closing. It sounds like you're having a busy, nice weekend.

Drove four hours to Florida today to take my daughter to a concert. We ordered room service before the show, and I am as sick as can be. I have been taking medicine like mad trying to hold it together. I made it through the opening act, now just another couple hours until I can get back to the hotel.

Awww, I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:.

I've been in the city and had fun shopping in shops and at the market, together with my mum. That was fun (albeit tiring) :). My grandparents visited and I had fun spending some time with them :). I'm pretty tired from all that, so today I plan to rest and hopefully read some.

Thanks, Gaia! The medicine finally kicked in, and we wound up having a fantastic time. This morning, we're going to have breakfast on the beach, then we're going to head down to St. Augustine. It's the oldest continuous settlement in the United States, and has a lot of pretty Spanish architecture, unique shops, and such. My daughter went when she was little, but doesn't remember it.

Started working/training from home today. I started with a bang, lol!!

I got my mac last Friday and set it up. Yesterday I called tech to find out how to maneuver around the computer and to get the password set up. I also needed assistance with my headset. Well, this morning I was ready and had logged on five minutes early, only to hit a brick wall. NOTHING wanted to work right! I was finally able to get with a tech who got me logged in, then I spent the first 1.5 hour getting on my trainers nerves (bless her heart, lol!) because I am an apple virgin. This screen will take a LOT of getting used to. 

Lunch has been had, coffee consumed and now I feel a bit more able to face the mac. If the coffee doesn't help, then there is no help to be had. House work has been done and its so cool to be able to roam around the house a little and see the hubby and the doggy when I step out of my office.