Your Book Activity - July 2016

Athena

I decided to start Quarter Past Two on a Wednesday Afternoon by Linda Newbery, her first (and only?) book for adults. Read about 90 pages last night so doing a lot better than with my other reads, wahey!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impending holiday forced me to kick on with my dawdling reading of Edge of Eternity because I knew I couldn't take it with me as it was a library book, and I don't like starting new books if I have one already on the go (unless I am in the right frame of mind to read two books at once), so I forced myself to read about 600 pages in 4 days. If only I could do that all the time, my TBR list would dwindle much faster! :D

Whilst on holiday I started and finished a whole book! :o Of course, back in the day it would have been about 2 or 3, but given my current reading speed, I was happy enough with that. ;) It was Bones of the Dragon by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. When I got home, I continued with book 2 of what appears to be a "quadrilogy", Secret of the Dragon, even though the first book said it would be a sextuplet.

I LOVE it! I think if you liked The Sisters Brothers, you'd like Undermajordomo Minor. Definitely worth it for a Daily Deal.

Oh poo, I didn't see this until today, and the price has now gone up. :doh:  Nevermind though, as I have another deWitt book to read, so I will give that one ago to see if I enjoyed it as much as The Sisters Brothers.

Spent two long journeys between Yorkshire and Haverfordwest listening to most of (and finishing) Georgette Heyer's Cotillion, read by Phyllida Nash. Just the right mood for the journey, classic Heyer, and I loved Nash's general narrative and characterisations.  Enabled an otherwise deadly journey to pass relatively easily. Will certainly seek out more of her (Phyllida Nash's) audiobooks.

Edited by willoyd

Oh poo, I didn't see this until today, and the price has now gone up. :doh:  Nevermind though, as I have another deWitt book to read, so I will give that one ago to see if I enjoyed it as much as The Sisters Brothers.

Is it Ablutions? I'm thinking of that one for the August read a thon.

Finished the Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan and moved on to the Little Paris Bookshop by Nina Geroge this is equally as good. 

Nearing the end of A trail through time by Jodi Taylor.  Another day and I can start a whole new set of stories.  I just need to sit in one place for long enough.

Unfortunately, I'm giving up on Catherine Ryan Hyde's The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance... uncharacteristic of her work, the characters aren't very well developed and it's gotten too preachy for my tastes. I think it might be due to the brevity of the story.

I've switched to the apocalyptic The Last Girl by Joe Hart, where the birth rate of girls has dropped to near nothing numbers and those who are born, are taken away by the government. It's about one of those girls.

Today I got Beth Revis's A World Without You and the graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman's Coraline. I'll be starting A World Without You shortly. :D I've been waiting for this one for a looong time! 

I also plan to read Elie Wiesel's Night this weekend. Its the first book I ever remember hitting me so hard it changed a part of me. I feel its going to be a very sobering read with the world in its current state (and I'm still mourning his recent passing.) 

I also plan to read Elie Wiesel's Night this weekend. Its the first book I ever remember hitting me so hard it changed a part of me. I feel its going to be a very sobering read with the world in its current state (and I'm still mourning his recent passing.)

I love Elie Wiesel... have you also read Dawn and Day? I really liked his memoirs, All Rivers Run to the Sea.

Edited by Anna Begins

Unfortunately, I'm giving up on Catherine Ryan Hyde's The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance... uncharacteristic of her work, the characters aren't very well developed and it's gotten too preachy for my tastes. I think it might be due to the brevity of the story.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this :(. I won't be starting it any time soon.

Today I got Beth Revis's A World Without You and the graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman's Coraline. I'll be starting A World Without You shortly. :D I've been waiting for this one for a looong time!

I look forward to A World Without You too, I loved the Across the Universe trilogy. I'm waiting for the medium size paperback release, that could take a while I guess. I hope AWWY is good!

I haven't yet, but they're on my list! All the things he saw... and he still believed in humanity.

And so very passionately!

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this :(. I won't be starting it any time soon.

I wouldn't suggest it, no.

I gave up on The Last Girl and took up Joe Hill's The Fireman. I'm liking it a lot... which is good because it's 744 pages!

Edited by Anna Begins

XD. It think the book's title used to be Moominpapa's Memoirs.

Maybe the publisher should have left the title alone :)

Yep, Moominpapa's Memoirs doesn't sound as slutty :giggle2: 

I think I will....I will have to see which books are available at the library. Kind of makes me want to watch the series again! :D

Most definitely :D I still have the last season to watch... I don't want the series to end :( (I've heard it's not a great season.... Shame!)

I've started and finished a few chick-lit novels by a new Finnish author I've discovered. I enjoyed them a lot and have started yet another one by her. I'm also still reading Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison and Jane of Lantern Hill by L. M. Montgomery. It's odd to have so many books on the go. 

Most definitely :D I still have the last season to watch... I don't want the series to end :( (I've heard it's not a great season.... Shame!)

I don't remember it being too bad. I know they ending is very contentious, but I didn't mind it.

I found a disappointing plot hole early on in The Fireman (at least, I think it's one and if it is, it's a pretty big one) but I am enjoying it. I'm a big Joe Hill fan anyway, so have been looking forward to it.

Yay - I loved both of those! :D

I'm just about to start Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf! noes.gif

I read this recently but... Have not got around to reviewing it! :giggle2:

I think I rated it 3/5 though. It's very different to my usual fare.

I read this recently but... Have not got around to reviewing it! :giggle2:

I think I rated it 3/5 though. It's very different to my usual fare.

A favourite of mine, but then much of Virginia Woolf is.  Rated it 6/6, and have read it three times in the past 5 or 6 years, so hope you enjoy it too.  It may be slim, but it requires time and an awake brain - definitely not bedtime reading!  Ive found something new each time too.

Finished The House by the Lake today. Fascinating - a microhistory of modern Germany. Intriguing how much national history is reflected in the story of this one, fairly insignificant, house. Not sure what to read next!

Edited by willoyd

I found a disappointing plot hole early on in The Fireman (at least, I think it's one and if it is, it's a pretty big one) but I am enjoying it. I'm a big Joe Hill fan anyway, so have been looking forward to it.

Ooh, I didn't know about this book. I do like his other stuff so I'll have to check it out.

I finished Secret of the Dragon the other day and decided to read one of two very belated birthday present books I got from my friend the other day - Booky Wook 2 by Russell Brand.

Ooh, I didn't know about this book. I do like his other stuff so I'll have to check it out.

I finished Secret of the Dragon the other day and decided to read one of two very belated birthday present books I got from my friend the other day - Booky Wook 2 by Russell Brand.

It's over 700 pages, so be forewarned!

Happy belated birthday :) I hope you enjoy your presents.