Your Book Activity - July 2016

Athena

I finished Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes and have settled on Catherine the Great by amazing historian Robert K Massie... at 656 pages, it should keep me going for awhile. Loved Nineteen Minutes!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading John Elder Robison's Look Me in the Eye. It was an excellent memoir. Thanks for giving me the nudge to read it, Frankie!

I'm glad to hear you liked this book :)

I absolutely flew through The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain. Loved it, and I would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had to go to bed!! Now I am reading This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Silent Sister :). I loved it too.

I finished Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes and have settled on Catherine the Great by amazing historian Robert K Massie... at 656 pages, it should keep me going for awhile. Loved Nineteen Minutes!

I also finished Nineteen Minutes, such a great book! It was a pleasure to read it together with you :).

My next read will be one of my library loans, I haven't decided yet which one though.

I've started reading this too....because you made me.  I'm up to page 44. It's going very well so far. He's a good storyteller, isn't he? 

Yes he is. Woof! :lol: 

Started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides last night, and I'm into the book too  :smile: .

Yay!! It's one of those meandering epic family sagas that you just don't want to end ... :wub: 

I finished Finders Keepers the other day, and I'm nearly finished with Dearly Devoted Dexter

:hide:   I hope you're liking it  :hide:

I have had to put The Eyre Affair away for the moment, as I just can't seem to get into it.  :mellow:

So at the moment I will re-read Tove Jansson's The Exploits of Moominpappa and read Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex.  :smile: 

Sorry to hear about The Eyre Affair, but then again, happy to know Middlesex is still going on strong :smile2: I've never seen a Moomin book used in the same sentence as Middlesex. The word 'exploits' makes me think of something completely different because of it :giggle2::blush: 

I finished reading John Elder Robison's Look Me in the Eye. It was an excellent memoir. Thanks for giving me the nudge to read it, Frankie!

Nudge nudge! :lol: You're totally welcome!! It's so much more fun, reading a book when you know someone else is reading it, too! I'm nearing page 200, so if there's more you want to share about the book, please do! :smile2: Woof!! 

I started reading Upstairs, Downstairs by John Hawkesworth on the side. I felt like I needed to read fiction, too. I'm really liking the book! Didn't know it was a novelisation, though. Already wanted to order the second novel in the series but turns out the library doesn't have any of the subsequent novels :( 

:hide:   I hope you're liking it  :hide:

I liked it, but not as much as the first one mainly because of

what happened to Doakes. I really liked his character (on TV as well) so I couldn't believe he was chopped up! :negative:  I also wasn't keen on what is happening with Cody (him being a budding serial killer).

I mean, I like dark books, but that was too dark and took me by surprise. :thud:

I may skip the third book, as I've heard a few people say it's not very good. And from what I've heard about the plot, I don't think I'd enjoy it much. :dunno:

I've started This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell. It's so good to be able to read a new book of hers. :boogie:

I started reading Salem's Lot but there are so many characters I have decided to keep it as my bedtime reading rather than taking it to work. That way I can concentrate on it more.

For travelling to and from work I am reading I Heart New York which is an easy read and fun

For travelling to and from work I am reading I Heart New York which is an easy read and fun

I've only read I Heart Las Vegas (I didn't know it was a series), that one was nice.

I read Thea Stilton - Princessen van Fantasia 5: De Schaduwprinses (Principessa del Buio) yesterday and finished it, then started Geronimo Stilton - Kronieken van Fantasia 4: De Ring van Licht (L'Anello di Luce).

I finally finished The Deposition of Father McGreevy. Pretty disappointed to be honest, not sure what I was expecting but it was definitely not what I got. Strange book with strange subject matter. Still, easy enough to read so at least I got it finished.

Going to pick something light and easy, maybe a thriller of some kind, to read alongside The Essex Serpent.

I liked it, but not as much as the first one mainly because of

what happened to Doakes. I really liked his character (on TV as well) so I couldn't believe he was chopped up! :negative:  I also wasn't keen on what is happening with Cody (him being a budding serial killer).

I mean, I like dark books, but that was too dark and took me by surprise. :thud:

Ah, I understand.

Doakes is one of my most fave characters, and so I was equally disturbed when I read about him. I didn't like it :( But then again, it's necessary so that Dexter isn't busted....

:unsure: Re:

Cody: I don't mind what they've done with him in the book series. I kinda like it, actually. So in that respect we'll have to disagree :) I understand, though, how you'd think it's too much. :unsure: 

I may skip the third book, as I've heard a few people say it's not very good. And from what I've heard about the plot, I don't think I'd enjoy it much. :dunno:

Personally, I don't think you'll miss much if you end up skipping the third book. Do you think you'll continue with the rest of the series, though?

I'm really enjoying Upstairs, Downstairs! I have about 60 pages to finish. 

Sorry to hear about The Eyre Affair, but then again, happy to know Middlesex is still going on strong :smile2: I've never seen a Moomin book used in the same sentence as Middlesex. The word 'exploits' makes me think of something completely different because of it :giggle2::blush:

Ooops! :blush2:  I should have put more punctuation marks in that sentence. I now will think of this book as Mooninpapa's sex-ploits, not as innocent exploits! :D   :giggle2:

I started re-reading The Damage Done by Linda Newbery, as I spotted a Kindle edition for £2. However, it's clearly been revised for it's 2011 Kindle release, as it contains references to Robert Pattinson and iPods, which, at the time of original release in 2001, were 15 years old and 6 months away from release respectively! :roll:

Otherwise, it seems to be holding up well. I must check out all her other books, because another one by her - The Shell House - is an excellent YA read.

:giggle2: Moomin Papa liked to mix things up a little bit :lol:

XD. It think the book's title used to be Moominpapa's Memoirs.

Maybe the publisher should have left the title alone :)

I used to love the Moomin books, they were lovely.

I've been dithering for ages about reading The Shell House, as I think part of it is set not far from where I love.  Has anyone read it?

I used to love the Moomin books, they were lovely.

I've been dithering for ages about reading The Shell House, as I think part of it is set not far from where I love.  Has anyone read it?

By Linda Newbery? As in the book I mentioned two posts ago? :lol: Or is there a different one?

If you do mean the Newbery one, it's been a favourite YA novel of mine since I was a teenager and I think it's brilliant.

I've been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's an epic fantasy series that is quite long, one of the reasons it has taken me so long to finally read it. I'm currently on the second book and I don't understand why it took me so long to pick it up as it is amazing!

I've been reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's an epic fantasy series that is quite long, one of the reasons it has taken me so long to finally read it. I'm currently on the second book and I don't understand why it took me so long to pick it up as it is amazing!

I bought most of the series when I worked at a bookstore. I think I stopped at about 7 or 8. Haven't cracked them open yet.

Right now I've got two books going. One is called A Place of Safety by Caroline Graham. I love all of her books and I've read this one before. I think I picked it up because its not a complicated read. My brain is all over the place so its hard to settle into one book. I also have An Undisturbed Peace by Mary Glickman. This is new to me. Its an epic American western involving Native Americans and African Americans. 

Even though I have these two books on my table, I still feel like there's a book that I really should be reading this summer. I don't know if its a new read or a "re-read." I hope I can get settled to it before the summer gets here.

Personally, I don't think you'll miss much if you end up skipping the third book. Do you think you'll continue with the rest of the series, though?

I think I will....I will have to see which books are available at the library. Kind of makes me want to watch the series again! :D

I love this series, it's one of my favourite epic fantasy series. I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it so far :).

I'm not currently reading any book, but my next read will be Thea Stilton - De Prins van Atlantis (Nel Regno di Atlantide: Il Principe di Atlantide).

Just finished The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.  Easily the best fiction first-time read this year, and one of the best I've read in years.  Certainly enjoyed it far more than the current Essex book in the Counties Challenge: The Turn of the Screw was a good read, but not in the same league as this, IMO.  The Essex Serpent positively seeps the locality from every pore - it's so much a book of place.

Planned next read is The House by the Lake by Thomas Harding.

Edited by willoyd

Finished reading the first Calvin and Hobbes collection. Nice light little read by comparison with some of the tomes I've read recently! Also finished The Damage Done by Linda Newbery - sadly not as amazing as I remember from my teen years.

Now reading The Many Selves of Katherine North by Emma Geen.

Just finished The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry.  Easily the best fiction first-time read this year, and one of the best I've read in years.  Certainly enjoyed it far more than the current Essex book in the Counties Challenge: The Turn of the Screw was a good read, but not in the same league as this, IMO.  The Essex Serpent positively seaps the locality from every pore - it's so much a book of place.

Planned next read is The House on the Lake by Thomas Harding.

I've seen lots of people talking about The Essex Serpent online, so it's very good to hear your thoughts, willoyd.  Looking forward to reading your review. :)

Currently reading two nature books - The Moth Snowstorm by Michael McCarthy and Being A Beast by Charles Foster.