Your Book Activity - July 2016

Athena

Oooh, it's not just me then. I have tried the first few chapters, but the flowery language really put be off. As it was a library loan, and with more readers requesting the book, so I didn't try to read any more. I'll be interesting to see how are you getting on with this one.  

I'm pushing on for now, I want to at least get to the point where the friendship starts developing and see how I feel. I'm finding it a bit easier now, I'm about a hundred pages in.

I've also started The Deposition of Father McGreevy, a new book I got (along with The Little Hammer by John Kelly and Thy Tears Might Cease by Michael Farrell) for my Irish Counties Challenge. So far so good!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought two Kindle eBooks this morning; Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides  and 

The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective Series 4) by M.R.C. Kasasian (Damn, I still have only read the first book of the series so far  :blush2: )

The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective Series 4) by M.R.C. Kasasian (Damn, I still have only read the first book of the series so far  :blush2: )

I hope you enjoy both books when you read them :).

Good choices! (Well, I haven't read the new Kasasian yet, but hopefully it was a good choice! :D)

I've read around 40 pages of Wheelmen. I received a new book in the mail on Thursday: The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett.

I bought two Calvin and Hobbes books yesterday for 2 euro each. One is the original collection :)

I hope you enjoy them :).

I've read around 40 pages of Wheelmen. I received a new book in the mail on Thursday: The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett.

I hope you enjoy The Shepherd's Crown :). I just looked it up, the paperback edition is out here, so thanks for that :). I've added it to my wishlist and might buy it the next time I order some books.

I'm reading Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes. I like the book so far. I'm not that far into it yet, page 114 out of 596, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Middlesex is awesome! :smile2: I really hope you shall love it or at least really like it :smile2: 

I've started reading Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison. I'm on page 64 and really liking it so far :smile2: 

Finished reading The Sunday Philosophy Club (1st of the Isabel Dalhousie series)

Loved it, and I now have the next three of the series, as audiobooks for the library.  :smile:

I bought two Calvin and Hobbes books yesterday for 2 euro each. One is the original collection :)

*Squeek!!* I love Calvin and Hobbes too  :D Happy reading with those two!

Middlesex is awesome! :smile2: I really hope you shall love it or at least really like it :smile2:

Thanks, I will start reading Middlesex this weekend.

I hope you enjoy The Shepherd's Crown :). I just looked it up, the paperback edition is out here, so thanks for that :). I've added it to my wishlist and might buy it the next time I order some books.

:) No worries. Yes, it recently came out in the edition I wanted to (which I guess is the same one you want). :)

I've started reading Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison. I'm on page 64 and really liking it so far :smile2:

I've started reading this too....because you made me. :P;) I'm up to page 44. It's going very well so far. He's a good storyteller, isn't he? :)

I'm reading Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes. I like the book so far. I'm not that far into it yet, page 114 out of 596, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

This is a brilliant book - it stayed with me long after I had finished it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I found it sad but incredibly moving.

I'm finding The Essex Serpent a bit difficult to get into because of the flowery language, but I'm going to push on with it as I've almost stopped other excellent books at this early stage for the same reason.

Oooh, it's not just me then. I have tried the first few chapters, but the flowery language really put be off. As it was a library loan, and with more readers requesting the book, so I didn't try to read any more. I'll be interesting to see how are you getting on with this one.

I started this yesterday, having finished Gary Sheffield's history, The Somme very late on Thursday night (or, rather, very early Friday morning!). I'm absolutely loving it, and have absolutely raced through the first hundred pages. Indeed, I was so immersed on the train last night that I missed my station! As you'd imagine, rather than describing the language as 'flowery', I'd say it was rich and beautifully detailed, strong on character and setting! But then, I love Victorian classics, and whilst this is rich, it's not as language intensive as, say, an Eliot or a Dickens, so it it doesn't feel as challenging.

Edited by willoyd

:) No worries. Yes, it recently came out in the edition I wanted to (which I guess is the same one you want). :)

Yes, I think it's the same one :).

This is a brilliant book - it stayed with me long after I had finished it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I found it sad but incredibly moving.

Thanks Angury, glad to hear you liked this book so much. So far I'm liking it a lot :).

The new Emma Carroll book, Strange Star was out this week, so I bought a copy and read it on Friday.  Brilliant book, right up there with Frost Hollow Hall for me, and inspired by Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I've also started reading The Moth Snowstorm but I think this is going to be a long read for only 250 pages.  Only read about 30 pages so far, and I read it for quite a while.  I don't mind that, but it feels like everything is a long read at the moment! :D

Started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides last night, and I'm into the book too  :smile: .

I'm about to start The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford today. Really looking forward to this one.

Oh I hope you enjoy TPoL, it's a wonderful book!  :smile:

I started this yesterday, having finished Gary Sheffield's history, The Somme very late on Thursday night (or, rather, very early Friday morning!). I'm absolutely loving it, and have absolutely raced through the first hundred pages. Indeed, I was so immersed on the train last night that I missed my station! As you'd imagine, rather than describing the language as 'flowery', I'd say it was rich and beautifully detailed, strong on character and setting! But then, I love Victorian classics, and whilst this is rich, it's not as language intensive as, say, an Eliot or a Dickens, so it it doesn't feel as challenging.

Glad that you enjoyed The Essex Serpent. I hope to try this book again sometime, but it just seemed a hard slog with the flowery/rich and beautify detailed language.

I finished Finders Keepers the other day, and I'm nearly finished with Dearly Devoted Dexter. After that I'll start The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain. I also borrowed Nod by Adrian Barnes from the library.

Glad that you enjoyed The Essex Serpent. I hope to try this book again sometime, but it just seemed a hard slog with the flowery/rich and beautify detailed language.

Still reading it!

Flowery not meant to be an insult, it's beautifully written, but the prose is dense by comparison with my usual fare, therefore more difficult to get into :)

I have had to put The Eyre Affair away for the moment, as I just can't seem to get into it.  :mellow:

So at the moment I will re-read Tove Jansson's The Exploits of Moominpappa and read Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex.  :smile: 

I finished reading John Elder Robison's Look Me in the Eye. It was an excellent memoir. Thanks for giving me the nudge to read it, Frankie!

I also received Paul Clifford by Edward Bulwer-Lytton in the mail. This is the book that starts with the infamous opening line 'It was a dark and stormy night'. I've always been curious about this book. :)

Where on earth is July going, I am near the end of The Little Shop of Happy Ever After by Jenny Colgan which I am loving. Need to get this finished as I am away again from Wednesday.

I absolutely flew through The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain. Loved it, and I would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had to go to bed!! Now I am reading This Must Be The Place by Maggie O'Farrell.