Your Book Activity - July 2016

Athena

My mojo's been a bit sluggish of late (mojo says .. 'you can talk' :lol:) so I've struggled to read much. This wasn't helped by my picking up Boris Akunin's The Turkish Gambit .. the book that gave me all sorts of trouble re: its cover. I now know why you can't get the edition with the lovely matching cover .. it's jolly well hard work that's why .. they were wanting to gloss over it I'm sure (nothing to see here .. move on  :lol:) I started reading it with Al but he lost interest and so I continued on my own but what a slog .. the subject matter was tricksy to say the least. I know nothing of the Russo-Turkish war of 1877 .. and I'm not sure I'm any more enlightened now :lol: Erast Fandorin hardly featured  :o I was so disappointed. It's just a hurdle to be got over though and I've done that now .. the first book (The Winter Queen) was so good that I'm sure this is just a blip. Still, good job I bought a second hand copy with the rotten cover .. it won't matter now when I hurl it into the duck pond  :o  ;) 

Thankfully, the library came to my aid .. I've read a couple of good books since .. Waterlog by Roger Deakin and Ten Sorry Tales by Mick Jackson (my reading of The Turkish Gambit could have counted as the eleventh :lol: ) and my mojo is coming out of its sulk .. thank goodness!  

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Forensics by Val McDermid last night, and I'm still making my way through Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. After that, I will pick up The Bees by Laline Paull. It's the last of my library books to read, and I may focus on some Kindle books after that (depending of course if I borrow more from the library, which I most likely will. :blush2::giggle2: ).

I finished Forensics by Val McDermid last night, and I'm still making my way through Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. After that, I will pick up The Bees by Laline Paull. It's the last of my library books to read, and I may focus on some Kindle books after that (depending of course if I borrow more from the library, which I most likely will. :blush2::giggle2: ).

Hope you enjoy The Bees bobbs  :hide:  :lurker:  :D 

My mojo's been a bit sluggish of late (mojo says .. 'you can talk' :lol:) so I've struggled to read much. This wasn't helped by my picking up Boris Akunin's The Turkish Gambit .. the book that gave me all sorts of trouble re: its cover. I now know why you can't get the edition with the lovely matching cover .. it's jolly well hard work that's why .. they were wanting to gloss over it I'm sure (nothing to see here .. move on  :lol:)

Oh dear! That's terrible news. :( This book crept to the top of my TBR pile recently, but I ended up going with a Flavia de Luce book and planned to read The Turkish Gambit soon after it. Hopefully I'll get along better with it than you did. Thanks for the warning re Fandorin's absence. :(

I bought the new Harry Potter book today. I was undecided whether I'd get it straight away, but I saw stories on the news of people getting all excited about it, and then I got excited too.  :blush2: I'm going to start reading it shortly.

I bought the new Harry Potter book today. I was undecided whether I'd get it straight away, but I saw stories on the news of people getting all excited about it, and then I got excited too.  :blush2: I'm going to start reading it shortly.

I look forward to hear what you think!

I'm still making my way through She- Wolves by Helen Castor and The Fireman is still in the wings. I wanted them to both count for my July totals (the 700 page The Fireman would have been nice) but circumstance has permitted me!

Finished both my books! Not sure what I'm going to pick up next but I think, after flowery historical fiction and bizzare fantasy, I'm going to retreat into the safety of a random thriller :D

It says here you posted this at 12:51 am, which I think is 9 mins to midnight in Ireland? So you finished them on time :D.

I didn't read anything yesterday, I spent time with my family instead. I'm going to pick a new read today, it'll be one of my library loans.

It says here you posted this at 12:51 am, which I think is 9 mins to midnight in Ireland? So you finished them on time :D.

Yup, that is 9 minutes to midnight, but I had finished them an hour before. I'm already 65 pages into I See You by Clare Mackintosh - the new one from the author of I Let You Go, which I loved. Really enjoying it so far, she does such a good job of writing believeable people.

Finished The Pursuit of Love which I loved and dove straight into Emma by Jane Austen - wow, loving this! Only a few chapters t

Just saw you'd been reading The Pursuit of Love, Alexi. Have you read Love In A Cold Climate? It was great too. I went on to read a biography The Mitford Girls by Mary Lovell, because they were such a fascinating family.