Title of coming of age novel

I read a wonderful coming of age novel years ago that I have never forgotten, but absolutely can not remember the title, author or a ton of the plot.  What I do remember is the main character is a girl, maybe in the 12-16 age range, living in a small little town, which I believe is a mine town.  There is some sort of dispute about the mine or land (can't remember) and the boy the girl befriends ends up getting killed in an explosion at the end.  I think the book came out in the early 2000's or maybe late '90s.  I'm not sure if it helps or not, but I remember reading it around the same time that I read James Patterson's  John Grisham A Painted House (I'm thinking it was a new release), so for a while I thought that was the title of it until I looked it up.  I have tried Google but no luck yet.  Has anyone read something that sounds like it might be the book I'm searching for?

Edited by nursenblack

Could it be Up Molasses Mountain by Julie Baker?  Or how about Strange As This Weather Has Been by Ann Pancake?

There's a long list of mining-town themed novels here:  https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/32362.Mining

I hope you find it!   :)

The titles don't ring a bell. The description of Up Molasses Mountain does sound a lot like it, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing about a circus or escaped monkey in the one I read.  Unfortunately I don't see anything on the goodreads list that looks like it.  Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and it's not a mine, don't know. I'm trying to remember more.  I hate to forget things!  Thanks so much for the help though!

After tons and tons of searching I think I may have found the title I've been looking for.  I think it might be Wish You Well by David Baldacci.  I found it by doing an advanced search on amazon that I didn't even know existed.  The plot sounds a lot like it and I looked it up on Wikipedia for spoilers so I could be sure, and the thing I remember happening does happen.  It is set in Virginia and there is drama over a coal and gas company trying to buy the grandma's land. For some reason I'm still not %100 convinced, more like %99. :P   I didn't remember the parents dying in a car crash at the beginning that sets everything in motion or anything like that.  But the fact that it was written by David Baldacci would explain my remembering it being written by a popular author.   Now I know why I kept getting it mixed up with A Painted House because they were both published the same year (2001) and both by authors that usually write crime/suspense type stuff. 

Edited by nursenblack