Macabre request - Victorian Death Photography?!

A strange question...I recently read an article about death photography, where in Victorian times families would often have family pictures taken with a deceased loved one, often made to look like they were still alive, propped up, maybe eyes painted on eyelids.  :o I was wondering if anyone has read any fiction that touched on the subject?

No, but I did see the article on the BBCs web site. I'm guessing photography was new and boundaries had yet to be set(?).

Yes, that's where I saw it but have seen it somewhere else before and thought then it might be an interesting subject for a novel.

It definitely would be an interesting subject for a novel! Unfortunately, I don't know of any. I would also be interested to know if there is one though!

Have you seen the way they used to use double exposure techniques to make it look as though there was a ghost in the photograph? I think that would make an interesting subject for a novel too.

It definitely would be an interesting subject for a novel! Unfortunately, I don't know of any. I would also be interested to know if there is one though!

Have you seen the way they used to use double exposure techniques to make it look as though there was a ghost in the photograph? I think that would make an interesting subject for a novel too.

Take a look at In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters, you might like that, I won't say too much though as I wouldn't want to give anything away and I can't remember offhand what is mentioned in the blurb.

Take a look at In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters, you might like that, I won't say too much though as I wouldn't want to give anything away and I can't remember offhand what is mentioned in the blurb.

I just looked that up and saw I already have it on my wishlist hehe.

I too know of no fiction involving this theme but would love to know of any.

Ooh I will have a look, thank you  :smile:

There was just a mention of such photos in the book I am reading - The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge. It's not significant to the story, I doubt it will come up again, but it made me think of this thread.

Have you seen the film "The Others"? That featured some of the photos you're talking about.

That's the first thing that came to my mind! Great movie! :smile:

I can't think of any books that have mentioned that though. :wacko: