Malory Towers / St. Clare's by Enid Blyton

I don't mind dated, I love, for example, Jean Webster's Patty book, I'm not sure which one it is, the first or the latter. I understand that's the kind of thing you mean by dated? I also have a thing for boarding schools, they sound so cosy and fun and exotic, we don't have those in Finland :)

Janet, if it's not too much trouble, and if you could find a cheap copy, I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer? :)  Only because they've not been translated into Finnish, the library doesn't have any copies and I'm 100% I won't be running into these in the secondhand bookshops. Thank you for the offer, you're so sweet! :smile2::flowers2:

Oh, and going by the replies in this thread, more people seem to have read the Malory Towers series than the St Clare's series. Is the former just much better or how would you explain this?

They're very dated, frankie, but are quite enjoyable, if a bit samey after a while.   There are always lots of these in our charity shops - if you'd like I could look for the first one for you and send it to you so you could try it?  :)

Definitely agree. But you can say that YA are a bit samey, but we're still gripped by them time and again.

Oh, and going by the replies in this thread, more people seem to have read the Malory Towers series than the St Clare's series. Is the former just much better or how would you explain this?

I remember Malory Towers more than St Clare's, but I'm pretty sure I read them both and I think they're virtually the same in terms of them both being in a boarding school and getting upto mischief.

I can find all my Malory Towers books except the first one! :irked:  I think I'll keep an eye out for the first one to match my others, but if Janet can find a cheap copy of the first one and you like it, I'm more than happy to lend you the rest of the series, frankie.  Mine are the edition published in 2000, as my childhood copies were so battered and missing pages through repeated re-readings when I was little! :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I remember Malory Towers more than St Clare's, but I'm pretty sure I read them both and I think they're virtually the same in terms of them both being in a boarding school and getting upto mischief.

Okay, thanks :) It's just odd that if they are pretty much same'ish and equally good, everyone still goes on about the other series rather than the other :D

I can find all my Malory Towers books except the first one! :irked:  I think I'll keep an eye out for the first one to match my others, but if Janet can find a cheap copy of the first one and you like it, I'm more than happy to lend you the rest of the series, frankie.  Mine are the edition published in 2000, as my childhood copies were so battered and missing pages through repeated re-readings when I was little! :D

I wonder where your first book has gone off to, naughty book! :no: Thanks for the offer, chesil, let's wait and see how I like the first book :)  I'll be sure to come back here and tell you guys how I liked it!

I still have copies of Malory Towers (and St Clare's - and all the Famous Five books) but they do seem to be quite prolific in charity shops here, so fingers crossed I find one.  :)

I read the Malory Towers books first, which I think is why I remember them more fondly.   The St Clare's ones are similar but the twin element is quite fun.  :)

I still have copies of Malory Towers (and St Clare's - and all the Famous Five books) but they do seem to be quite prolific in charity shops here, so fingers crossed I find one.  :)

No hurries, no worries! :) You know my TBR is keeping me occupied while waiting :giggle2:

I read the Malory Towers books first, which I think is why I remember them more fondly.   The St Clare's ones are similar but the twin element is quite fun.  :)

This makes me think of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne and Emily books. For some reason everyone seems to favor the Anne books, eventhough I think they are equally well written etc. :shrug: For some reason I've always loved the Emily books more. Maybe because she wants to be an author :)