Your Book Activity - June 2016

frankie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also had an Audible credit to use, and decided to try The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley...

I hope you enjoy it.  I borrowed a friend's copy (she read it in one sitting whilst she was stuck at Charles De Gaulle airport for bad weather last year and immediately rang me to tell me she was going to lend it to me!  :D  ) and I thought it was great fun.  The book is gorgeous.

Imagine if it was a pop-up book! :lol:

Ewww!  :lol:

I'm listening to Don't Tell Alfred by Nancy Mitford, read brilliantly by Emilia Fox.  It's not a patch on Mitford's other books featuring these characters but I'm enjoying it, largely due to the narration.  I'm also reading Max Gate by Damien Wilkins.  I haven't read much recently as I've not had much time.

I've started A Little Life, but I think it's going to take me a while. I just hope I'm up for the challenge, because if I put down a book more than a couple of chapters in for more than a few days, I will never read it again.

Well, it's not a short book but hopefully it will hold your interest throughout. It wasn't until the very end that I wanted things to wrap up, but I think that's because I couldn't handle any more misery. :lol:

I keep thinking of buying A Little Life, but its size is rather forboding!

I did however order 4 books from Amazon today using a gift card given to me by my youngest's football team for being their administrator. (I also bought a spiraliser!) :)

Summer Shadows by Joss Stirling

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Asking For It - Louise O'Neill

One - Sarah Crossan

A Little Life is well worth it, but it probably is a bit longer than it has to be.

Asking for It is a pretty good read, but tough subject matter. I think I preferred Only Ever Yours.

I've nearly finished Columbine; I've picked up a fiction book to read - Sleeping Giants. It's been mentioned on here a fair bit recently, so I have high hopes.  :readingtwo:  I meant to read more of it today, but I couldn't tear myself away from Fallout 4. :thud:

Finished Summer Lightning, a much more enjoyable read than I expected.  Not sure immediately what I'm going on to next - maybe Emma? It's almost 40 years since I last read it through in its entirety!

I stopped Prozac Nation and have, with some hesitation, started Ken Follett's Fall of Giants. I say that because it's nearly 800 pages and is the first of a trilogy. But I own it and am broke, so. :D

I started The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien for my Irish Counties Challenge, but I kind of hate it. I may finish it, simply because it's not that long and it will tick a box, but I don't think I'm going to find it very rewarding.

I'm about two thirds through Sleeping Giants. I'm still making up my mind if the manner in which it's told (ie. through interviews and journals) is effective for me. :dunno:

I went to the library a couple of days ago and borrowed:

Coldbrook - Tim Lebbon (I've been waiting for this one for ages!)

After Dark - Haruki Murakami

The Dollmaker - Richard Montanari

Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver

My insomnia is helping me right along with Fall of Giants... I can't believe how many characters are in this book! And to think it's a trilogy! :o

I don't think I picked up any of the sequels.....I remember enjoying some characters stories, but being bored with others.

Lol Noll :D

:o Why u laugh at me?

I'm about two thirds through Sleeping Giants. I'm still making up my mind if the manner in which it's told (ie. through interviews and journals) is effective for me. :dunno:

I went to the library a couple of days ago and borrowed:

Coldbrook - Tim Lebbon (I've been waiting for this one for ages!)

Yeah the style of Sleeping Giants really spoiled it for me. 

Coldbrook is a really great read, if a teeny bit too long. Hope you enjoy it!

I don't think I picked up any of the sequels.....I remember enjoying some characters stories, but being bored with others.

It's boggling my mind, the amount of characters! Did you like it overall?

Prodigal Summer was my second choice- I've been waiting to read it forever. I really enjoy Barbara Kingsolver. Have you read any of her others?

Yeah the style of Sleeping Giants really spoiled it for me. 

Coldbrook is a really great read, if a teeny bit too long. Hope you enjoy it!

Yeah, the writing style doesn't give enough details of the story. It feels like it's telling it in dribs and drabs. I think it's the authors way of skimming over the details. :P

Really looking forward to Coldbrook. I'm surprised by how long it is....I thought it would be similar in length to The Silence. It's going to be my next read. I should get Sleeping Giants finished off today as I have the week off work. :boogie:

It's boggling my mind, the amount of characters! Did you like it overall?

Prodigal Summer was my second choice- I've been waiting to read it forever. I really enjoy Barbara Kingsolver. Have you read any of her others?

I remember feeling lukewarm about it, and that's probably why I haven't picked up the sequels. I have seen Winter of the World at the library, but I don't remember any details of Fall of Giants so it would be wasted on me.

I've read and enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, and saw two of her books at the library. I decided to go with Prodigal Summer because plot-wise it was more my thing. Someone (Willoyd perhaps?) read one of her books recently and rated it quite highly, if I remember right, so the author was fresh in my mind when I popped to the library. :D

I remember feeling lukewarm about it, and that's probably why I haven't picked up the sequels. I have seen Winter of the World at the library, but I don't remember any details of Fall of Giants so it would be wasted on me.

I've read and enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, and saw two of her books at the library. I decided to go with Prodigal Summer because plot-wise it was more my thing. Someone (Willoyd perhaps?) read one of her books recently and rated it quite highly, if I remember right, so the author was fresh in my mind when I popped to the library. :D

Oh- that's disappointing! I think he read The Bean Trees, but I'm not for certain. I liked The Poisonwood Bible too.

I should get Sleeping Giants finished off today as I have the week off work. :boogie:

I hope you enjoy your week off :). I hope you enjoy your library loans.

I'm currently reading Morgan Matson - The Unexpected Everything, and I'm at around 60%. I like the book so far.

I hope everyone is enjoying their latest reads.

I'm focusing on lighter books at the mo as building work is starting on the house so I need books I don't need to concentrate too much on. I've just finished The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase and now starting The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies, has anyone read it? It was given to me by a friend who liked it very much.

:D We posted at the same time ^^ lol the way you said you kind of hate it :)

In the end I didn't *hate* it, but I think it was pretty pointless and can't understand why its a classic of Irish literature! Gave it two measly stars :P

Yeah, the writing style doesn't give enough details of the story. It feels like it's telling it in dribs and drabs. I think it's the authors way of skimming over the details. :P

Really looking forward to Coldbrook. I'm surprised by how long it is....I thought it would be similar in length to The Silence. It's going to be my next read. I should get Sleeping Giants finished off today as I have the week off work. :boogie:

Yep, I felt the same way about Sleeping Giants.

A whole week off work, you're so lucky. I just used my last annual holiday (year ending June) today. And as my contract is indefinite, I can't take holidays until after I've worked them up - so I'd have to work about 4 months with no time off (I take a lot of half-days for things) at all to take a week off. 

I finished The Third Policeman, see my comments above to Anna r.e. it. Have another book to read by the same author, but think I'll put it off...

At 242 pages I'm making okay progress with A Little Life - I'm starting to get into it now that I've got a feel for the characters. So far, it's not too depressing. I mean, there's some pretty sad crap that's happened to Jude, but he seems to be doing okay! I fear greatly for him, though, given peoples' reactions to this book. And I am only a third of the way through.

I'm also going to start The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe, as I want to get back into reading a book every second or third one for my Irish Counties Challenge. Not even halfway through the 32 counties and we're halfway through the year!

Yep, I felt the same way about Sleeping Giants.

I only have a handful of pages left and I'm struggling with those! :sleeping-smiley-009

A whole week off work, you're so lucky. I just used my last annual holiday (year ending June) today. And as my contract is indefinite, I can't take holidays until after I've worked them up - so I'd have to work about 4 months with no time off (I take a lot of half-days for things) at all to take a week off.

I'm lucky in that I get 5 weeks annual leave (but some of it we have to take over Christmas). It's so nice to be able to relax and not think about work! :D

At 242 pages I'm making okay progress with A Little Life - I'm starting to get into it now that I've got a feel for the characters. So far, it's not too depressing. I mean, there's some pretty sad crap that's happened to Jude, but he seems to be doing okay! I fear greatly for him, though, given peoples' reactions to this book. And I am only a third of the way through.

It gets plenty more depressing. Glad you're not finding it a struggle to read. :readingtwo:

I only have a handful of pages left and I'm struggling with those! :sleeping-smiley-009

I'm lucky in that I get 5 weeks annual leave (but some of it we have to take over Christmas). It's so nice to be able to relax and not think about work! :D

It gets plenty more depressing. Glad you're not finding it a struggle to read. :readingtwo:

You can do it! I believe in you!

I get 21 days ish, which is four weeks, and some of that has to be taken at Christmas, but because of the indefinite contract I can't just take a week now and assume I'll be here for months to work it up. Ah well, least I have a job!

Noooo, no bad things happening to Jude :( He's doing really well for himself at the moment, between Harold/Julia and Richard and Malcom! And Willem is so sweet. Read about a hundred pages yesterday, so if I can keep that pace up I should have it finished in another 4-5 days :thud:

Since I started a new job, I only get five personal days this year and I can't take them until after September. I'm lucky, though, because after 2 1/2 more years, I'll be up to three weeks; that's a lot of vacation time for most jobs in the States. Two weeks for full-time employees is the norm unless you're a Union or government employee.

I think I'm going to work on Touch by Claire North today.