Your Book Activity - June 2016

frankie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read and enjoyed The Poisonwood Bible, and saw two of her books at the library. I decided to go with Prodigal Summer because plot-wise it was more my thing. Someone (Willoyd perhaps?) read one of her books recently and rated it quite highly, if I remember right, so the author was fresh in my mind when I popped to the library. :D

It may well have been me: I read The Bean Trees as part of my US States Challenge, and reviewed it on my blog thread a couple of months ago. Have to agree with you about The Poisonwood Bible which introduced me to Barbara Kingsolver via a book club choice - definitely one of the better ones.

In the meantime, my reading momentum has come crashing to a halt with the EU Referendum and fall out, as I've been hopelessly absorbed in the ensuing politics. Still struggling to come to terms with the vote; I can't recall ever feeling quite so angry about a political event. Have gradually resumed reading Emma - Jane Austen is the perfect antidote. She was simply a genius.

Edited by willoyd

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I did enjoy it, but that whole end bit went totally over my head. I'd read more by PDK, though.

Think I may start The Glorious Heresies, which is a new Irish novel about gang stuff set in my city! Which, is a thing that exists, but not prominently so the idea seems somewhat comical. It's been getting rave reviews here in Ireland though, so hopefully it'll be good, and either way it's another one for my Irish Counties Challenge!

Finished The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies, it was ok, an easy read but very little oomph and characters that were bland all round!

Now starting Out of the Easy by Ruth Sepetys, I didn't realise it was a YA read but it gets very good reviews so will see how it goes. It caught my interest because it is set in New Orleans, I've always wanted to go there! :)

Nice! It took me awhile to get it, too, but once I did, I was hooked.

Yes, I am still taking some time to get my head around some of the concepts in FForde's head; I still have quite a problem believing Acheron Hades existing in so bizarre ways  :o

Had a bit of a rough week last week, so reading wasn't my top priority, but I've finished listening to Persuasion and I've listened to all of The Watchmaker of Filigree Street.  I've also finished reading Coastlines and The Fish Ladder from the Wainwright Prize, and started Raptor so I'm just over halfway through the long list now.  The shortlist is announced tomorrow, and I was hoping to be closer to having read them all, but it wasn't to be.  Still plenty of time before the winner is announced, and I haven't been in the mood for fiction lately, so carrying on with the last six books seems to be where I'm headed at the moment.

By that same token, I splashed out and bought Landskipping by Anna Pavord from the longlist today ... in hardback!!!  :o  Not cheap, but I read a few pages and I think I'm going to love it, so it seemed a good idea at the time.  I think that only leaves me two left to buy or borrow.  I did pick up Weatherland as the paperback is out now, but it was very thick with tiny print, so I've decided that will be a Kindle purchase.  The paperback is not officially out until 14th July, so the Kindle price is still higher than the price of the paperback, so going to wait and see if it drops when the paperback is officially released.

Had a lovely afternoon reading Alexander McCall Smith's The Sunday Philosophy Club. What a way to read books and eat homemade ginger cake, while watching the rain pelting down outside

By that same token, I splashed out and bought Landskipping by Anna Pavord from the longlist today ... in hardback!!!  :o  Not cheap, but I read a few pages and I think I'm going to love it, so it seemed a good idea at the time. 

It's a nice looking book!  :)

I'm still listening to Don't Tell Alfred by Nancy Mitford (the rotten weather is curtailing my reading) and I'm two-thirds of the way through Once Upon a Time in the West Country by Tony Hawks which Claire loaned me last time I saw her.  I was hoping to finish it for today so I could return it, but a lovely weekend away put paid to that! 

I've finished both Ken Follett's Fall of Giants and Winter of the World... some 1600+ pages. It was good but I don't feel the need to read Edge of Eternity. Now, looking for something... I've gone through samples but I can't find anything :(

Started reading Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard as I wasn't faring too well with The Glorious Heresies. Distress Signals is also set in Cork - weird reading about stuff happening where I live and work!

Iam contemplating reading The Velveteen Rabbit next. 

One of my all time favourite books. 

^ I've heard of The Velveteen Rabbit, but don't know anything about it. It was the favourite book of one of the Friends characters (can't for the life of me remember which one! :doh: ).

I know what I'm getting you for Christmas if you haven't read it by then! Fabulous book. I'd literally post you my copy if i hadn't already sent it to Kell a couple of years back. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL little book, everyone should read it. It's about a stuffed rabbit who yearns to be 'real', and figuring out what that means.

I'm about halfway through MRC Kasasian's Death Descends on Saturn Villa. I'm enjoying it so far. I've also started Wheelmen, which is about Lance Armstrong and doping.

I know what I'm getting you for Christmas if you haven't read it by then! Fabulous book. I'd literally post you my copy if i hadn't already sent it to Kell a couple of years back. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL little book, everyone should read it. It's about a stuffed rabbit who yearns to be 'real', and figuring out what that means.

I'm intrigued! It's only £0.49 on Kindle, but is it the kind of book that is better to be read as a treebook (because of the artwork)?

Hi..  I am kind of new to this board, but it was funny when I read Anna Begins about Ken Follett...  I read the same two books and for some reason have no desire to read Edge of Eternity...  I thought it was just me....

Interesting! I just didn't feel like following a whole new generation of characters!

Welcome to the board :)