Your Book Activity - June 2016

frankie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading Eat Pray Love - By Elizabeth Gilbert and Sourcery - By Terry Pratchett.

About halfway through both. Can now understand why my fiance loves Terry Pratchett's books.

Shelfy

I love the film of Eat Pray Love and I try and watch it every year.

Currently reading Eat Pray Love - By Elizabeth Gilbert and Sourcery - By Terry Pratchett.

About halfway through both. Can now understand why my fiance loves Terry Pratchett's books.

Shelfy

Is Eat Pray Love any good? I liked the film but I haven't read the book. I quite liked Sourcery :). I hope you enjoy both books!

Almost finished The Man From Primrose Lane. It's really good, but it is waaaaaay too long. Took far too long playing around in one genre before snapping into another (which I knew it was going to do, so maybe knowing that made the first two thirds seem too drawn out).

Is Eat Pray Love any good? I liked the film but I haven't read the book. I quite liked Sourcery :). I hope you enjoy both books!

I'm surprisingly really enjoying it! Not my usual genre. Sourcery is fantastic! Another series to read :)

Shelfy

Finally finished The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. Full of 'literary merit' but what a depressing slog.

That's in inverted commas because I can see what a brave novel this would have been to write in 1928 and the debate it created - I don't think it's particularly well-written.

I've been reading some non fiction alongside it, but even so it's taken me ages to wade through!

Edited by Alexi

Finally finished The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. Full of 'literary merit' but what a depressing slog.

That's in inverted commas because I can see what a brave novel this would have been to write in 1928 and the debate it created - I don't think it's particularly well-written.

I've been reading some non fiction alongside it, but even so it's taken me ages to wade through!

My feelings almost exactly.

I read 100 pages (~26%) in Julie Kagawa - The Iron Fey 1: De Ijzerkoning (The Iron King), but then I gave up. I wasn't in the mood to read the book and I felt the main character was making some stupid decisions / doing some stupid things, and I didn't feel in the mood to put up with that.

My next read will probably be Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 9: Hoe Overleef Ik (Zonder) Liefde?. This is the one book in the series, that I haven't read yet (out of 13 books total), so I look forward to it.

I started reading a Finnish non-fiction book about a man whose madly infected herpes ruined and changed his face for life. It's making me fear all tiny normal itches that I might have during the day...  :hide:

Haven't gotten into The Scarlet Letter yet- it's pretty difficult! But am nearly finished with Clive Barker's A-Z of Horror (for around the millionth time)! About 25 pages left :)

I'm about a third of the way through Coastlines now, and it's fantastic.  Absolutely loving it.  Also listening to Juliet Stevenson reading Persuasion by Jane Austen, and it's wonderful.

It's that time again, and I have a new credit for Audible, so need to think about what my next audiobook will be ... off to browse and see what I can find to tempt me! :D

I've started A Little Life, but I think it's going to take me a while. I just hope I'm up for the challenge, because if I put down a book more than a couple of chapters in for more than a few days, I will never read it again.

Today I've read most of Solace by Belinda McKeon, the first Irish Counties Challenge book I've picked up since April. It's brilliant - possibly because I'm not feeling great at the moment and am pretty emotional, but it's really hitting me in the feels.

I keep thinking of buying A Little Life, but its size is rather forboding!

I did however order 4 books from Amazon today using a gift card given to me by my youngest's football team for being their administrator. (I also bought a spiraliser!) :)

Summer Shadows by Joss Stirling

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Asking For It - Louise O'Neill

One - Sarah Crossan

Summer Shadows by Joss Stirling

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Asking For It - Louise O'Neill

One - Sarah Crossan

I hope you enjoy all of these :).

I'm currently reading Barry W. Fitzgerald - Secrets of Superhero Science. My dad asked me to read this book. It's nice so far, though it's not as relaxing to read, as a novel, for me. But the science is interesting (admittedly I've been taught a lot of these things at high school and university, but of course not everyone studied chemistry at university so :P). I love all the superhero references.

I'm about a third of the way through Coastlines now, and it's fantastic.  Absolutely loving it.  Also listening to Juliet Stevenson reading Persuasion by Jane Austen, and it's wonderful.

As you know, I've got a lot of these Wainwright books on my TBR list, and this is one of them, so am even more looking forward to it now. Trawling through the prize website, it's a great resource for interesting looking books to read - and those I've read have all been successes for me.

I love Juliet Stevenson's readings: I've got quite a few of hers now for both Jane Austen and Virginia Woolf; even when I've read the book myself, her reading helps me find new aspects and insights, so will continue to build the collection up.

Personally, have just finished David Millar's The Racer. In spite of my interest in cycling (and other sport) I don't read much about sport, but OH recommended this to me (and his autobiography). He's an intelligent, sensitive writer (although I'm not fond of the gratuitous use of swear words in writing, even though I have been known to swear myself!), and this gives an interesting insight into a year in the life of a pro cyclist (along with flashbacks that tells a life) - something that won't interest many, but I found gripping.

Now on to PG Wodehouses's Summer Lightning, the Shropshire choice for the Counties challenge. As a younger reader I used to love Wodehouse, but have recently been less enamoured when tried him again, so am interested to see how I find this.

Edited by willoyd

As you know, I've got a lot of these Wainwright books on my TBR list, and this is one of them, so am even more looking forward to it now. Trawling through the prize website, it's a great resource for interesting looking books to read - and those I've read have all been successes for me.

There's plenty on the website for previous years prizes to keep me going in the future, but I'm just going to stick to this years list for now! :lol: I bought The Fish Ladder by Katherine Norbury and The Moth Snowstorm by Michael McCarthy today. Fortunately, I had a full loyalty card and some points on my Waterstones card, so I got the pair for £2.98 in total - an absolute steal! :D And I don't think you're supposed to get stamps on a new card if you're cashing in a full one, but the cashier gave me two stamps on a new card as well, so I'm well on my way to my next big discount too. :)

I love Juliet Stevenson's readings: I've got quite a few of hers now for both Jane Austen and Virginia Woolf; even when I've read the book myself, her reading helps me find new aspects and insights, so will continue to build the collection up.

That's what I've been doing with some of my Audible credits, and I've also got Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park so far, leaving Emma and Sense and Sensibility to get, as she's doesn't seem to have recorded Pride and Prejudice. I already have S&S read by Susannah Harker and P&P read by Lindsay Duncan, both of which are excellent, but it would be nice to have a full set with JS reading. :) I'm sure I've also got Joanna David reading P&P on cassette somewhere, but I don't have a cassette player any more, so it won't do me much good even if I do find it! I do remember it being an excellent reading though, so it's a shame I can't listen to it any more, and I've never found it transferred to digital on any of the audiobook sites.

I also had an Audible credit to use, and decided to try The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley, and while I was there, also decided to buy Wuthering Heights read by Patricia Routledge as I already had the Kindle edition, so was able to buy the audiobook for only £2.49.  Another bargain. :lol:

And I don't think you're supposed to get stamps on a new card if you're cashing in a full one, but the cashier gave me two stamps on a new card as well, so I'm well on my way to my next big discount too. :)

They've always done that for me. Equally, if I've used my Waterstones card, they've still added stamps.

I already have S&S read by Susannah Harker and P&P read by Lindsay Duncan, both of which are excellent, but it would be nice to have a full set with JS reading.

For whatever reason, Naxos swapped to Emilia Fox for their P&P. I've not listened to it myself, but the reviews are still very good, with quite a few raves.

I also had an Audible credit to use, and decided to try The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley, and while I was there, also decided to buy Wuthering Heights read by Patricia Routledge as I already had the Kindle edition, so was able to buy the audiobook for only £2.49.  Another bargain. :lol:

Oh I love that audio (Patricia Routledge reading Wuthering Heights) .. she does an amazing job with it. Wow .. that is a bargain. I might have to download it from Audible, my copy is on cassettes :( .. very well loved and well used cassettes. Same as Northanger Abbey read by Juliet Stevenson. Oh .. it's bliss! The copy I have (again on cassette and virtually unplayable now as it was played to death) was recorded as a set (with the other Austen books) for Woman's Hour .. they were abridged sadly but gosh did I love Juliet's reading and though I know you can get other versions which she also reads .. there are subtle differences. I WANT that one!!!! :D :D I knew it by heart .. and it was perfect (apart from all the missing stuff :D) Also Kenneth Branagh's Cider with Rosie .. exquisite! But again on cassette and sadly my copy is stretched beyond all comprehension. Arghhh!!!! This is even more upsetting than when Waitrose stopped selling their apple pie twinpack :D:banghead:  :banghead: 

Juliet is the Queen of narrators .. she really is. At the moment she's reading The Woodlanders on Radio 4 Extra .. and boy it's good. That is her reading is .. I'd listen to anything she read tbh. But the episodes are only about 15 mins long .. very frustrating as I want to get on!!! :D I was hoping for an omnibus but no luck so far.

I've had my eye on The Watchmaker of Filigree Street .. but it's such a pretty book .. not sure I could forego that for the audio :D