Your Book Activity - June 2016

frankie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grunt- Mary Roach release 6/7

I'm looking forward to this one, too. I've read all her other books and loved them. :boogie:

I have no idea what I want to read next! Considering tackling A Little Life at last, but might also go grab M. R. Carey's new one or try a Claire North. Decisions!!

Ooooh, I hope you read A Little Life soon.....it's a heavy read, but you'll know pretty early on whether it's your kind of book or not.

I started to read Jojo Moyes - Me Before You 1: Me Before You. It's good so far :).

Loved this book. It's not the genre I usually read so I was very pleasantly surprised. Glad you are enjoying it. :smile:

I started reading A Mother's Reckoning - Living in the Aftermath of the Columbine Tragedy by Sue Klebold last night. I'm already completely engrossed. 

Oh blimey, that will be an interesting read. She's the mother of one of the killers, right? I didn't know she wrote a book. I have a book about the Columbine shooting; can't remember who wrote it though. It's on my TBR pile and one of the books on my list that I want to read this year.

I'm struggling a bit with The Red House by Mark Haddon. I just find it awkwardly written. :wacko: I need to stick with it and read it in decent chunks rather than 10 minutes here and there. The problem is that every time I start reading it, I feel like I want to fall asleep, so I put it down and go do something else.  :doh:   :D

I managed to get to the library today. I wanted to borrow the first Harry Potter book so I can give it a re-read, but it wasn't there anymore (even though I saw it on the shelf last week). It wasn't a total loss though, as I managed to borrow Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel. It's been talked about on here recently so I'm very curious about it. :readingtwo:

Oh blimey, that will be an interesting read. She's the mother of one of the killers, right? I didn't know she wrote a book. I have a book about the Columbine shooting; can't remember who wrote it though. It's on my TBR pile and one of the books on my list that I want to read this year.

This is a very recently published book, and yes, Sue's the mother of Dylan Klebold. I think this was only published in February 2016? I wouldn't have known about it, but it turned up on the library's recently acquired books list and I immediately reserved a copy. Klebold is such a distinctive name, isn't it. She can't go anywhere without people making the connection. The book has gotten a lot of great reviews on Goodreads, and it's at 4,19 stars out of 5. It would be interesting to know which book it is that you have! I'm already adding another book to my wishlist, and it's by Brooks Brown, who was a friend of the boys. 

Edit: I did a really quick scan through your TBR to see which book it was, but ... it was a big ass TBR list :lol: :lol: So I didn't catch anything. 

Edited by frankie

Of course, I can't speak for everyone in the US, but there is no sympathy...

According to Sue on the book, she got a lot of letters around the world offering sympathy, and her friends rallied and people at the office were supportive when she came back. 

That's good, she could use it!

I guess, as a parent, I would just try to be more "in tune" with my child, ya know? Especially when warning signs present themselves.

Edit: I did a really quick scan through your TBR to see which book it was, but ... it was a big ass TBR list :lol: :lol: So I didn't catch anything. 

Yah, it is a massive list. :lol: The one I have is Columbine by Dave Cullen, which is rated very highly on Amazon.

I don't know enough about the incident (although I have read Wikipedia etc., a long time ago) so I can't recall if there were any warning signs. The problem is that no one thinks that anyone (their children) is capable of such a thing until it actually happens. The parents probably thought their kids were just going through a phase of some kind. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

I've added A Mother's Reckoning to my wishlist, as I'm sure it will be an interesting (albeit painful) read.

Yah, it is a massive list. :lol: The one I have is Columbine by Dave Cullen, which is rated very highly on Amazon.

I don't know enough about the incident (although I have read Wikipedia etc., a long time ago) so I can't recall if there were any warning signs. The problem is that no one thinks that anyone (their children) is capable of such a thing until it actually happens. The parents probably thought their kids were just going through a phase of some kind. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

I've added A Mother's Reckoning to my wishlist, as I'm sure it will be an interesting (albeit painful) read.

I agree, hindsight is hindsight. And I'm not far enough into the book to have come to where the mother talks about the period leading into the massacre, so I can't really comment on that. The book is really well written, I don't think you'll regret adding it to your wishlist, bobbly :) 

And I won't say more on the subject on this thread as it'll go off topic. 

I'm plodding on with Jaqueline Winspear's Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs series  No. 2) and it is hard going. Maisie seems to have these ridiculous mystic moods, it's too silly!  :angry: The first book was plausible, but for some reason the author has Maisie as almost having psychic abilities. What a lot of rot, at the moments. :drama:  I hope the book improves. 

I have finished The Red House by Mark Haddon. Overall, it was a disappointment.

What a shame :(. I have the book on my TBR.

I haven't read anything (book-wise) during Saturday or Sunday. I plan to start another book later today though :). It will be one of my library loans.

What a shame :(. I have the book on my TBR.

It's very different to his other books, and feels disjointed. Not many positive reviews on Amazon for it.

I've now started The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson. Great so far....glad to see he's his usual funny self. :lol:

It's very different to his other books, and feels disjointed. Not many positive reviews on Amazon for it.

I've only read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (which I loved) and bought The Red House a while later, when I found it on sale. Shame it wasn't a great book.

I hope you enjoy the Bill Bryson book :).

I've started to read Monica Furlong - Duran 3: Colman (Dutch). I've only read a few pages so far though, and I haven't really been feeling in a reading mood for some reason.

I downloaded England, England by Julian Barnes for the Isle of Wight in the English Counties challenge and am 20% through, but it's not grabbing me yet. There's a lot of mixed reviews for it on Amazon, so I'm hoping that it'll pick up soon and I'll see some of the humour that's mentioned.

I also bought The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer and if England, England doesn't improve soon, I'll probably try and dip in and out of it, and will read The Grand Sophy alongside it.

I just finished A Mother's Reckoning - Living in the Aftermath of the Columbine Tragedy and have now to decide what to read next.

What did you think?

Starting The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Clare North, have heard lots of good things about this one! :)

I'll be interested to hear how you like it!

I'm passing the day with the Phillip K Dick short story omnibus.

I also bought The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer and if England, England doesn't improve soon, I'll probably try and dip in and out of it, and will read The Grand Sophy alongside it.

Loved The Grand Sophy - an instant 6-stars!  Great fun.