What's Up in June 2016?

frankie

I don't think I've seen it much around here. But, Google shows me some Dutch recipes so it does exist in the Netherlands. I didn't know you had Tesco in Ireland. Shows how much I know :doh:. I just know Tesco as a UK supermarket. I always love going to the supermarkets in the UK, I find it interesting to see what kinds of food are sold in other countries (the UK has some great things we don't have). It's probably a bit odd, but that's me :shrug:.

Ireland has some UK stuff. We have Marks & Spencer too, but not Asda, Sainsbury's, Waitrose etc. I think Iceland might be after opening here, though. On the flipside, the beloved cheapy clothes chain Primark/Penneys (as it's known in Ireland), is Irish. Trust the Irish to excel at cheap clothing hehehe. We also have Aldi/Lidl, but I think they originate elsewhere? Tesco is the one I use, though. I couldn't honestly tell you why I haven't switched to Lidl as its cheaper and often better, but I've used Tesco all my life so I've stuck to it! 

Glad to hear you don't have to worry about your benefits/finances :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad about the benefits, I hope you have a good time with the family.

Just to add: here is hummus, and I love it with raw veggies. I like garlic and chive flavor.

Ireland has some UK stuff. We have Marks & Spencer too, but not Asda, Sainsbury's, Waitrose etc. I think Iceland might be after opening here, though. On the flipside, the beloved cheapy clothes chain Primark/Penneys (as it's known in Ireland), is Irish. Trust the Irish to excel at cheap clothing hehehe. We also have Aldi/Lidl, but I think they originate elsewhere? Tesco is the one I use, though. I couldn't honestly tell you why I haven't switched to Lidl as its cheaper and often better, but I've used Tesco all my life so I've stuck to it! 

Glad to hear you don't have to worry about your benefits/finances :)

It's pretty cool you've got all those shops :). We have Primark too (it's called Primark here, though pronounced the Dutch way)! Ha :P. As far as I know, Aldi and Lidl originate in Germany. I've been in a Tesco supermarket before, it was nice. We have the Lidl and Aldi here, but the thing with those supermarkets is you can't get everything you want there, and their stock changes sometimes (at least, here). I'd love to go there more often though as their stuff is usually cheaper, but I'm unable to go there on my own so I'm dependent on when my parents take me. Usually every once in a while, we go there. I do like going there, so when my parents offer, I take the opportunity.

Glad about the benefits, I hope you have a good time with the family.

Just to add: here is hummus, and I love it with raw veggies. I like garlic and chive flavor.

Ah :)!

It was fun seeing my brother last night and having dinner with him (and with my mum and my boyfriend). My brother is pretty busy lately. But his girlfriend is coming back sooner than when he's going on his world trip, so they get to see each other for a few weeks before he goes on his trip. I think that's quite nice for them.

Tesco is pretty much ubiquitous in the UK, and I remember going on holiday to Greece a few years ago (can't remember which part) and  the first thing we saw as we left the airport was a bit sign for Tesco....don't know if they're still there though.  I didn't know you didn't have that many of the big chains in Ireland, interesting.  A lot of Aldi stores are opening up now, they are cheaper but some of their stuff isn't the same quality as it is from the bigger supermarkets, although I've found  that the bigger supermarkets cheap ranges tends to be vile eg pasta sauce and soup were like water. :o

We do, we have Dunnes, Centra, Supervalu, Daybreak. A lot of these are all run under one parent organisation, and none are as big or cheap as Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. I shop in Centra for little bits, and Daybreak for lunch. Tesco is for the big weekly shop. :D

We also have Spar and Eurospar, which are apparently Dutch?

Not much going on here. The temps have been warming up and I'm going to start gearing up for my summer hibernation. I don't hang around outside too much as I have sporadic eczema and psoriasis. Heat does NOT help. So for the next few months I'll go out and about during the early part of the morning when its still comfortable or in the evening when the sun goes down. I'll spend time under my trees in the backyard but open sun during the heat of the day is a no no. I do go to the gym for my circuit training three times a week and the farmers market on Saturdays and I do my errands (mornings) but that will be pretty much it unless we are going out of town.

I was going to load up on library books but decided to utilize my library's overdrive. I can read my books online. I'm also going to pull down and dust off books on my bookshelf. Not to mention the 700 books stored on my nook app. I THINK I'm set for reading material!

Got registered for my last two classes yesterday, 17 and 18th Century Philosophy and Biology w/lab. I'll graduate in December. I ordered the books from amazon and plan to get a jump on the reading.

We do, we have Dunnes, Centra, Supervalu, Daybreak. A lot of these are all run under one parent organisation, and none are as big or cheap as Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. I shop in Centra for little bits, and Daybreak for lunch. Tesco is for the big weekly shop. :D

We also have Spar and Eurospar, which are apparently Dutch?

Ah :D. Yes, they are Dutch! We have Albert Heijn, Jumbo, Emté, Spar, Plus, Jan Linders (this one only the south of the country), maybe more that I don't know about. And of course Aldi and Lidl, but those are German. Oh, and we do also have the Sligro, Makro and Hanos, but those are big supermarkets for companies. They sell things in bulk sometimes, and they also have a huge non-food section. Ever since my dad owns a company (a company of 1, with just him in it, this is a side job, his normal job is being full tenure professor at the university), we go to the Sligro about once a year. It's always fun to go there and see the huge bottles of mayonaise and other things. It can work out cheaper, but definitely not always. We usually go there just before Christmas, and get some things that I can't find, in the same way, in normal supermarkets. I love their herbs for making French herb butter. Anyway, that's just a once-in-a-year occasion for us.

Not much going on here. The temps have been warming up and I'm going to start gearing up for my summer hibernation. I don't hang around outside too much as I have sporadic eczema and psoriasis. Heat does NOT help. So for the next few months I'll go out and about during the early part of the morning when its still comfortable or in the evening when the sun goes down. I'll spend time under my trees in the backyard but open sun during the heat of the day is a no no. I do go to the gym for my circuit training three times a week and the farmers market on Saturdays and I do my errands (mornings) but that will be pretty much it unless we are going out of town.

I was going to load up on library books but decided to utilize my library's overdrive. I can read my books online. I'm also going to pull down and dust off books on my bookshelf. Not to mention the 700 books stored on my nook app. I THINK I'm set for reading material!

Got registered for my last two classes yesterday, 17 and 18th Century Philosophy and Biology w/lab. I'll graduate in December. I ordered the books from amazon and plan to get a jump on the reading.

I hope your eczema and such won't be too bad :(.

Yay for library books :D!

Good luck with the classes! They sound nice. Do you know what people (philosophy) and what animals or such (biology) you'll be learning about? I'm curious :P. Good luck with the reading.

Yesterday I went to the 'Night of the Library' and found a lot of nice books for sale! I'm so happy :D.

We also have little chicken, for those who didn't read it in the Pets - 2016 thread. It's so cute. Currently though they're hiding a lot underneath the mother, so I can't see them much yet. We have 2 other chicken sitting on nests still, those eggs should hatch in a few days. I'm very excited :exc:.

Today my siblings will come over for dinner. It'll be nice to see them again :)!

We've had a fantastic week in Cornwall and got home yesterday, but I've been a bit under par since then.  Going to try and catch up on some reviews today and get a bit of reading in too.

I'm glad you had a good week in Cornwall :). I hope you feel better soon and that you can rest today.

I had a great time yesterday with my family. My siblings were here and we had a great dinner.

Glad you had a good time Chesil, hope you had some good weather and escaped the storms!

We had fantastic weather, thanks - I was sat in Plymouth harbour one afternoon, and with the sun, the clear blue skies, the tables outside the bars and restaurants with the yachts in front of me, it could easily have been the Mediterranean!

Noll, we have Supervalu here in the US as well, but maybe it's owned by a different corporation?

I love hummus and would take a bath in it if I could :lol:  My fave is the roasted pine-nut version put out by Sabra.  I make it quite often at home but I usually just load it up with garlic.  I love dipping raw veggies in hummus, especially snap peas.

I got the news yesterday that my job will be eliminated on 11th November.  I did a lot of sobbing yesterday and pretty much cried myself to sleep last night, but today I'm just angry about the whole thing.  I'll be staying until my end-date so I can get 16 weeks of severance pay.  I'll be damned if I'm going to leave here without getting something for my decade and a half of hard work and dedication.

Noll, we have Supervalu here in the US as well, but maybe it's owned by a different corporation?

I love hummus and would take a bath in it if I could :lol:  My fave is the roasted pine-nut version put out by Sabra.  I make it quite often at home but I usually just load it up with garlic.  I love dipping raw veggies in hummus, especially snap peas.

I got the news yesterday that my job will be eliminated on 11th November.  I did a lot of sobbing yesterday and pretty much cried myself to sleep last night, but today I'm just angry about the whole thing.  I'll be staying until my end-date so I can get 16 weeks of severance pay.  I'll be damned if I'm going to leave here without getting something for my decade and a half of hard work and dedication.

My Supervalu is definitely Irish! Founded here in Cork. 

Aw man, so sorry to hear about your job, that's awful! Hugs, Marcia :(

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. That sucks. I'm glad that you've been given enough notice and can plan accordingly. Get your pound of flesh for sure!

Now that I'm pretty footloose and fancy free and the hubby is easy-going, I can pick up and go a-visiting. So, that's what I did. I pack up a few bags, the dog and her doggy luggage, et al and we are now sitting in my mom's house in Virginia. Guess I'll hang around till Sunday, after church.

My pup is so happy to be able to run around outside without being confined by a gate. She's done really good with coming when she's called and doesn't wander off. The only issue is that I forgot about my mom's cats. She has two of them. Kizzy does NOT like cats. When we walked onto the porch, the first cat looked at her and exited, stage left. The white cat, Fluffy, wasn't in such hurry. Kizzy gave her a look that clearly said "you really DONT want to be on the porch when I get up there. Fluffy took her advice. We haven't seen them since. Kizzy is like that family member that shows up and runs folks away. BUT my mom loves her. Considering when we were growing up pets were kept outside. She has become the granny of a dog. The great grand kids call her Gigi. I caught her talking to the dog last night and I heard her say..."Kizzy, come to Gigi." I had to go into my room, close the door, put my face in the pillow and laugh my butt off. Who IS this old lady and what did she do to my mother?!

Awww I'm so sorry to hear this :(:empathy:.

Virginia, I'm glad you're having fun at your mother's place.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, I appreciate it :).  I haven't been happy there for awhile, realizing it's so different a place from when I started back in '99.  I love what I do and the people I work with, but the company itself and the decisions being made is what's made me unhappy.  I won't lie, though, I'm very tempted to find a position in another department so I can keep my 5 weeks of vacation and still see my friends.

I would love to find something where I can use my creativity more, Chaliepud!  I have a degree in Interior Design so maybe it's time I go back to that :).

Have a lovely weekend with your mom, Virginia!  Does she live far from you?  The closest I've been to Virginia is DC, unfortunately.  I have a friend in Virginia Beach and I'd love to take a long road trip all throughout the south one day.  That's the only area of the US I haven't visited, in fact.

Straight after work today I'm hitting the road and heading up to the cabin.  I'm looking forward to being in the middle of the woods and not thinking about work!  I hope everyone has a great weekend and thanks again!

Thanks Gaia!

Peacefield, I'm in Halifax County. Its about 1.5 hours from Greensboro, NC, 1.5 hours from Roanoke, 45 minutes from Lynchburg and 2 hours from Lynchburg. Its about 3 hours from my mom's home to DC.

We've been hit with lots of storms since I've gotten here. I'm starting to wonder if I brought the weather when I crossed the border, lol! Mom wants to go into the city so we'll be off in a few. I really don't want to be gone long. The porch has my name written all over it and even if it rains I can sit on it and read and write. I really need to start on my next article. Besides, I spend less when I stay put!

Kizzy is truly a country dog and my mother has fallen so hard for her that she is hinting at keeping her! NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN!  I love how Kizzy can take off and explore and stretch her legs. I hate that she'll have to go back to a fenced yard BUT we'll make more effort to come home. No sign of the white cat, Fluffy. My mom thinks she may have met an untimely end. We're in a really rural area and when I came in on Wednesday, there were two bear sightings 1/4 mile from here. There are also foxes. I hope she's okay.

Oh Marcia, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through that - unfortunately it seems to be the nature of a lot of business nowadays.  Fingers crossed you can find a job you love as much as you did when you first started at your current company.  :flowers2:

I've had a long week back at work after my holiday last week, and just a short weekend before it's back to work again.  I was supposed to be getting my hair cut today but when I got there, my stylist was off sick, and I'm a very nervous hair cuttee and have been going to the same hairdresser for about twenty years now, so although they offered for someone else to cut it, I decided to make another appointment instead.  Hopefully I'll get there next week instead now, as it's already about three months overdue and is in serious need of a tidy up. :roll:

Going to try and have a reading day tomorrow, but I've got some errands to run too, so not sure how much time I'll manage. :D

Virginia, I hope the white cat comes back and that she hasn't been taken :(. We're missing one of our hens, I really hope it wasn't a predator either (such as a fox).

Chesil, I hope you have a nice weekend :).