What's Up in June 2016?

frankie

Decided to go out this morning, and ended up in Waterstone's Café W with coffee, toast and two new books - can't think how that happened ;)

Also managed to find a new cheesemongers that's opened recently.  It's a tiny little shop with only one refrigerator full of cheese, but the selection, especially for vegetarians, is brilliant.  As an added bonus, I think most (if not all) of the cheeses are from fairly local sources, so I was able to try some pecorino for the first time ever, as it's almost impossible to find vegetarian versions of some cheeses.  The cheesemonger told me it comes from just outside Glastonbury, and I had some shaved on top of my salad for lunch and it was absolutely delicious!  I'll definitely be heading back to try some different varieties in future. :smile2:

About to sit down with a cuppa and my book now for a lazy afternoon.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm here sitting on the porch enjoying the sunshine and fresh air. I leave for home tomorrow after church. I managed to duck out of shopping with my mom this morning. Just me and Kizzy hanging around and taking a nice walk and visiting a few family members.

Not sure what else to do today, I MIGHT go riding but then again I might just stay put. Footloose and fancy free I be!

Also managed to find a new cheesemongers that's opened recently.  It's a tiny little shop with only one refrigerator full of cheese, but the selection, especially for vegetarians, is brilliant.  As an added bonus, I think most (if not all) of the cheeses are from fairly local sources, so I was able to try some pecorino for the first time ever, as it's almost impossible to find vegetarian versions of some cheeses.  The cheesemonger told me it comes from just outside Glastonbury, and I had some shaved on top of my salad for lunch and it was absolutely delicious!  I'll definitely be heading back to try some different varieties in future. :smile2:

About to sit down with a cuppa and my book now for a lazy afternoon.

What's vegetarian cheese like? I know vegas don't eat anything that had anything to do with an animal (ie. they don't eat eggs), but I thought vegetarians did eat cheese (unless the cheese has pieces of meat in it or something).

I hope you got that lazy afternoon :).

I'm here sitting on the porch enjoying the sunshine and fresh air. I leave for home tomorrow after church. I managed to duck out of shopping with my mom this morning. Just me and Kizzy hanging around and taking a nice walk and visiting a few family members.

Not sure what else to do today, I MIGHT go riding but then again I might just stay put. Footloose and fancy free I be!

I'm glad you're having a relaxing time :).

I'm having a nice weekend. I've done some shopping and now plan to rest and relax for a while.

Vegetarian cheese is made with a non-animal based rennet which is used to separate the curds and whey when making the cheese. Traditional cheese making uses calf rennet.

That is very interesting. I never knew that that was what the distinction was.

Today is Father's Day. I think we're going to take my husband fishing today.

Vegetarian cheese is made with a non-animal based rennet which is used to separate the curds and whey when making the cheese. Traditional cheese making uses calf rennet.

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation :)

Today is Father's Day. I think we're going to take my husband fishing today.

I wish you and your husband lots of fun :).

Thank you. We wound up stopping for lunch in a tiny town. There was an antique shop that was also having a used book sale. Even though the shop was closed, the bookshelves full of books were still out on the sidewalk. Here is how they secured them:

post-13044-0-62140900-1466390258_thumb.jpg

You know you're in a small town when security consists of plastic tarps and binder clips.

I got awesome (financial) news today, so I'm feeling all happy :D :D :D :D. I have to go to the dentist next week, which is normally enough to put me in a bad mood the week before, but I'm totally happy about the news. I've been stressed about it for a while and now feel totally relieved. I'll be going to a new dentist, because my old one has retired, hopefully the new one will be nice. I've got an appointment there tomorrow, so I can meet her before my actual appointment next week. Maybe that sounds odd to some of you, but I'll feel more at ease after I've met her and talked with her, and after I've seen the inside of the office etc.

I'm so surprised this morning... Amazon had some sort of antitrust settlement with Apple ebooks? I'm not sure I even understand the email they sent me, but somehow I ended up with a $33 credit to my Amazon account! Score!

Thanks again for your kind words re: my job, guys!  I so much appreciate it :).

Chesil, what else is in the cheese that makes it vegan?  Is it soy milk?  I saw what you said about rennet separating the curds, but what makes the curds?  :blush2: 

Hurrah for good news, Athena, and yes, Anna, score on the free book funds!  Nice! 

I'm going to a local jazz festival on Saturday and then I have the first part of next week off, to which I'm really looking forward!  I'm taking a short road trip all by myself and I cannot wait.

I didn't go into work today, couldn't face it. Been feeling really low for a week now, which I think is the result of a spectacular volume of unfortunate events over the last month turning me from perpetually stressed/anxious about a large set of specific things into a sometimes-sad zombie about everything in general. I am getting a lot of reading done, to escape my thoughts, which is nice.

I got awesome (financial) news today, so I'm feeling all happy :D :D :D :D. I have to go to the dentist next week, which is normally enough to put me in a bad mood the week before, but I'm totally happy about the news. I've been stressed about it for a while and now feel totally relieved. I'll be going to a new dentist, because my old one has retired, hopefully the new one will be nice. I've got an appointment there tomorrow, so I can meet her before my actual appointment next week. Maybe that sounds odd to some of you, but I'll feel more at ease after I've met her and talked with her, and after I've seen the inside of the office etc.

Makes perfect sense. It'll be good to not have it hanging over your head. Best wishes for a nice dentist. Congrats on the windfall, too! 

I'm so surprised this morning... Amazon had some sort of antitrust settlement with Apple ebooks? I'm not sure I even understand the email they sent me, but somehow I ended up with a $33 credit to my Amazon account! Score!

Love it -- unexpected money!

I'm going to a local jazz festival on Saturday and then I have the first part of next week off, to which I'm really looking forward!  I'm taking a short road trip all by myself and I cannot wait.

Have fun at the jazz festival!

I didn't go into work today, couldn't face it. Been feeling really low for a week now, which I think is the result of a spectacular volume of unfortunate events over the last month turning me from perpetually stressed/anxious about a large set of specific things into a sometimes-sad zombie about everything in general. I am getting a lot of reading done, to escape my thoughts, which is nice.

I'm sorry things have been stressful. :( Reading really is a great escape, isn't it? It's my go-to.

Wow, congratulations :D

Hurrah for good news, Athena, and yes, Anna, score on the free book funds!  Nice! 

Thanks, Peacefield :). I hope the jazz festival is nice and that you have a nice time off work :)

Awww :(. I hope you feel better soon, Noll. I'm glad reading helps at least :empathy:.

Makes perfect sense. It'll be good to not have it hanging over your head. Best wishes for a nice dentist. Congrats on the windfall, too!

Thanks, DTR :).

My Granddaughter, the one that ran the Boston Marathon, will be competing in this event this coming weekend. :)

I wish her good luck and lots of fun :).

Chesil, what else is in the cheese that makes it vegan?  Is it soy milk?  I saw what you said about rennet separating the curds, but what makes the curds?  :blush2: 

I don't actually know about vegan cheese, I've only ever looked into vegetarian, but I would guess they make vegan cheese using a different type of milk - such as soy, almond, coconut? - but could be a completely different process as the milk would have a different make up. Vegans wouldn't eat any animal products, so vegetarian cheese would still contain an animal milk, whereas vegetarians tend to not eat any products from dead animals.

Feel better, dtrpath!

Had a pretty fabulous day today! On impulse I applied to a company called KellyConnect. They are a temp company. Well, this company staffs employees for major business. One company in particular is Apple. I did their assessment, uploaded my resume, set a time for a facetime interview, got the job and will be working FROM HOME as an Apple IT! They provide two months training and equipment. I am SO excited!! To be able to work from home has been a dream of mine for years. Decent salary to boot. What a great day!

• 2 weeks later...