What's Up in June 2016?

frankie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cute puppy, Gaia!

We went home to celebrate my mother in law's birthday cookout. Had a great time. My brother and sister in law have designed their property to resemble an island resort (not commercialized but more like off the beaten path). They have hammocks, a dock, palm trees, fruit trees, bistro tables, etc. They love to entertain so they really do it up well. 

Hubby works nights and didn't get home til about 0500. He slept about 2 hours then we were up and preparing to drive 1.5 hours away. We decided to rent a hotel room and board the dog. It was her first time being boarded and she seems to have enjoyed herself although she almost peed herself when she saw me. This was our first overnight since before we had the grands with us so it was a special treat that we plan to repeat over and over and over again. 

We couldn't pick Kizzy up from boarding til 5pm so we got caught in a nasty storm heading home. Woke up to gray skies followed by more rain. We'll be recouping today. Nothing requires me leaving the house except to walk to the mailbox and get the mail. I'll putter around on the net, spending quality time really learning my laptop. Although I've had it for almost a year, I spent more time on my tablet and phone than on this piece of electronic device. I also plan to do some reading, until I fall asleep. Hubby has already dozed back off and Kizzy is snoring a blue streak.

Thanks, Virginia!

I'm glad you're having a good time. What does it mean when you 'board a dog'? I only know 'boarding' in combination with airplanes.

Today I plan to rest a lot as the past few days have been pretty busy, so I'm quite tired.

Everyone look at my gorgeous tablet case that Claire (Chesilbeach) made meeeeeee! Thank you again Claire, I absolutely love it. It's so soft and pretty and unique! And it has a little pocket on the front, in case anyone can't tell. I've a big grin on my face :D

post-4797-0-78251900-1465288404_thumb.jpgpost-4797-0-75518500-1465288412_thumb.jpgpost-4797-0-70849200-1465288419_thumb.jpgpost-4797-0-28461800-1465288426_thumb.jpg

I also got sent a proof copy of Jeremy De Quidt's upcoming book, because I was apparently so lovely about a book of his I read (The Toymaker), which is really thanks to Janet as she sent me her copy of that book!

People are so kind :D

post-4797-0-75564900-1465288487_thumb.jpg

Everyone look at my gorgeous tablet case that Claire (Chesilbeach) made meeeeeee!

I also got sent a proof copy of Jeremy De Quidt's upcoming book, because I was apparently so lovely about a book of his I read (The Toymaker), which is really thanks to Janet as she sent me her copy of that book!

People are so kind :D

You lucky thing, happy Tuesday!! :D

Pleased it's arrived safely :). I'm still not sure whether I'm happy with it myself as I think the fit should be a bit snugger, but if you're happy, I'll live with it! :lol:

I'm DELIGHTED with it, it looks and feels like something you'd pay good money for in a shop - pictures seriously don't do it justice. The fabrics are beautiful and the stitching is PERFECT. But it's not from a shop, it's a homemade gift which makes it all the more special (and unique!). I keep looking at it and touching it :giggle:

Thank you also for the lovely card - I love getting cards or notes with things, I have a box I keep them all in! 

Everyone look at my gorgeous tablet case that Claire (Chesilbeach) made meeeeeee! Thank you again Claire, I absolutely love it. It's so soft and pretty and unique! And it has a little pocket on the front, in case anyone can't tell. I've a big grin on my face :D

That looks really good!! How nice of Claire to make it for you :). I hope you enjoy The Wrong, it's nice you were sent the book for free.

That is gorgeous!  

I agree with you, Noll ~ the fact that it has been handmade just for you does make it extra super special.  :yes: Clever Claire! 

Today I am finally getting back to normal having spent the last 10 days darting about. Husband had the time off from work unexpectedly, so we spent three nights away in Dumfries & Galloway, (Scotland) during it's gorgeous weather. Over the course of a couple of days we squeezed in a visit to a lighthouse, two bird sanctuary type sites, lots of ancient kirks, stones and towers. We topped it off with a visit to Great Cumbrae, a small island off the coast at Largs. We had such a good time.  

We returned in time for me to join my parents and sisters for a lunch to celebrate their 62nd Wedding Anniversary. They had a big do on their 60th, but wanted to mark the occasion each year here on in, so a 'posh' lunch it is.  :smile:

Today I am finally getting back to normal having spent the last 10 days darting about. Husband had the time off from work unexpectedly, so we spent three nights away in Dumfries & Galloway, (Scotland) during it's gorgeous weather. Over the course of a couple of days we squeezed in a visit to a lighthouse, two bird sanctuary type sites, lots of ancient kirks, stones and towers. We topped it off with a visit to Great Cumbrae, a small island off the coast at Largs. We had such a good time.  

We returned in time for me to join my parents and sisters for a lunch to celebrate their 62nd Wedding Anniversary. They had a big do on their 60th, but wanted to mark the occasion each year here on in, so a 'posh' lunch it is.  :smile:

I'm glad you've been having a nice time being away :).

Yesterday I baked a type of coconut cookies (I'm unsure what you'd call them in English). It was the first time, they worked out pretty well so I was pleased.

They're not quite like that, though the Dutch name is similar. But it's not a layered cookie. It's the same 'mixture' everywhere on the cookie, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in the States, the French macaron (with one o) are the pretty, layered ones of different flavors, while a macaroon (with two os) are coconut drop cookies. Did you make more like the two o version? Either way, it's delicious!

I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, but I found a picture that does:

http://savorv.com/blogs/queenofallthingsdomestic/16827512-macaroon-vs-macaron

Edited by dtrpath27

I'm not sure about elsewhere, but in the States, the French macaron (with one o) are the pretty, layered ones of different flavors, while a macaroon (with two os) are coconut drop cookies. Did you make more like the two o version? Either way, it's delicious!

I'm not sure I'm explaining it well, but I found a picture that does:

http://savorv.com/blogs/queenofallthingsdomestic/16827512-macaroon-vs-macaron

That's totally it! It'd be macaroon! I had no idea about the two words in English. Thanks :D!

EDIT: Btw, I didn't make it the way that site described it. But either way, the picture looks a lot like the cookies I made.

That's totally it! It'd be macaroon! I had no idea about the two words in English. Thanks :D!EDIT: Btw, I didn't make it the way that site described it. But either way, the picture looks a lot like the cookies I made.

I thought it might be! I don't make macaroons the way they described either. I use condensed milk. Still tasty!

I thought it might be! I don't make macaroons the way they described either. I use condensed milk. Still tasty!

I used condensed milk too! I've never tried to make coconut macaroons before, but the cookies taste quite good :).

Ha! What about hummus and houmous? (And possibly homous!)

I say hummus, but the packaging in Ireland usually says houmous.

I didn't know there were multiple spellings for it. I've never had it, so no idea if it's nice.

I didn't know there were multiple spellings for it. I've never had it, so no idea if it's nice.

Hummus is lovely! It's made from chickpeas, and you can get all kinds of flavours. I really like a Tesco-brand one that's made with red onion. It's a bit fatty, but the good kind of fat and otherwise good for you. Lovely on crackers!

Hummus is lovely! It's made from chickpeas, and you can get all kinds of flavours. I really like a Tesco-brand one that's made with red onion. It's a bit fatty, but the good kind of fat and otherwise good for you. Lovely on crackers!

I don't think I've seen it much around here. But, Google shows me some Dutch recipes so it does exist in the Netherlands. I didn't know you had Tesco in Ireland. Shows how much I know :doh:. I just know Tesco as a UK supermarket. I always love going to the supermarkets in the UK, I find it interesting to see what kinds of food are sold in other countries (the UK has some great things we don't have). It's probably a bit odd, but that's me :shrug:.

Michael and I went on a nice walk and went to the pharmacy and supermarket, and the farm nearby to get asparagus for my parents. My brother is unexpectedly coming over for dinner tonight, it'll be fun to see him again. And this weekend, my sister and her boyfriend, and my brother will come by and have dinner here (my brother's girlfriend is still in Costa Rica). That should be fun too. Also, it's the "Night of the Library" tomorrow and my mum has said she'll take me :), there will be a sale! It's also the read-a-thon this weekend, so hopefully I'll be doing lots of nice reading.

I'm having a great day, because I received some good financial news. I feel so relieved. I was so worried about my benefits, but it looks like I'll get to keep at least most of it. Such a relief, I was worried I wouldn't be able to afford food and clothes and other necessary things (yes, including books) anymore.