New Bee here

Psalmist

Hey how are you mateys and matesses doing? Seems like a lovely little crowd. I have been a slow reader but I've been getting my reading on. I do read lots of theology books and enjoy it immensely. I used to read sci-fi, loved Philip K. Dick's work more than any other. I'm mostly here to chat with a good friend of mine who's an antepodean from meself, earth-wise.

Thanks for your welcome!

Anna,

Some of my favorites.. well Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said and some of his short stories were interesting. Lots of films made out of his works, of course you all know, so it was interesting to see the difference between the writings and the films.

Ya, Valis sort of intimidates me... I haven't seen any of his movies, but A Scanner Darkly made it to my top 10!

I didn't like Amazon's Man in the High Castle. I hear Total Recall is quite different from the book (and with a short story, that's what happens, I guess). Love his short stories... I just finished King of the Elves.from his omnibus.

Edit, Flow My Tears...was really a trip. I'm still not sure what I read lol

Edited by Anna Begins

Blade Runner is way different from Do Androids Dream for sure. Total Recall was one of my favorite films growing up. The story is definitely way different- We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, lol. The film A Scanner Darkly is amazing, actually. Richard Linklater is a gifted film maker. It's done with a style unique to him, I think. It's taking the original film and drawing over it. Really perfect for the film. And then lots of famous actors in it that fit it perfectly. Robert Downey Jr, Woody Harrison, Keanu Reeves, etc. A very powerful story, it is. We dont need drugs, ppl. Life has enough highs and trips of itself.

Amazon's Man in the High Castle? What do you mean about Amazon's? I never did read that book but the premise sounded awesome.

And Flow my tears has an amazing real life story! Philip had a real life encounter with a person and the sequence was exactly what he had written. He also said he had written the book so fast that it felt as though he was channeling it. Then he eventually went to a priest and asked him about the event and the story he wrote and the Priest said "You're describing the book of Acts" and he went and read the book and it lined up perfectly (thats what I heard, anyways, and I personally dont recall Flow my tears well enough at all), even the character's names. Very trippy.

To trip you out more, I remember when I first got into him I called him Thomas K. Dick. I confused people. Then I read his bio after that and apparently~ he believed he was living in 70 A.D. in Rome as a Christian named Thomas! He had an interesting view on christianity, but dont remember. Something to do with gnosticism, but dont know. He had a "legendarized" experience, it had to do with his writing of VALIS and the pink beam, etc. Very strange stuff, but the experience gave him the knowledge that his son had a hernea and it saved his son's life. There's more to this world than what our eyes say

Edited by Psalmist

Oh- Amazon made an exclusive series of it. I got through half an episode before I gave up :P

A Scanner Darkly is definitely going on my movie list! I read so much, I rarely have time for movies or TV, but I will have to see it soon! Maybe in June/ July as my reading is going slower now.

And Flow my tears has an amazing story! Philip had a real life encounter with a person and the sequence was exactly what he had written. He also said he had written the book so fast that it felt as though he was channeling it. Then he eventuall went to a priest and asked him about the event and the story he wrote and the Priest said "You're describing the book of Acts" and he went and read the book and it lined up perfectly (thats what I heard, anyways, and I personally dont recall Flow my tears well enough at all), even the character's names. Very trippy.

To trip you out more, I remember when I first got into him I called him Thomas K. Dick. I confused people. Then I read his bio after that and apparently~ he believed he was living in 70 A.D. in Rome as a Christian named Thomas! I have had similar afflictions that PKD had, but never did any of the drugs he did. He had an interesting view on christianity, but dont remember. Something to do with gnosticism, but dont know. He had a "legendarized" experience, it had to do with his writing of VALIS and the pink beam, etc. Very strange stuff, but the experience gave him the knowledge that his son had a hernea and it saved his son's life. There's more to this world than what our eyes say

WOW! I didn't know all that! Thanks! Lol at Thomas. Did know about Flow My Tears, but not the specifics of A Scanner Darkly, I knew the title was from the bible, but no idea about The book of Acts being so close!

Yea all that stuff about Flow my tears is quite interesting. And about A Scanner Darkly, definitely a great story. Great film, really heart-wrenching in the end. PKD wrote that in memorial for so many friends that had their lives destroyed by drugs

Welcome here :)!

I've read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, A Scanner Darkly and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, all by Philip K. Dick, and I liked them all.

Athena! Thank you, thank you for the welcome!

I am terribly sorry for my delay. I don't receive email notifications so I forgot to check it again. Is that normal? Or do you all receive some notifications?

Yes, those are good novels for sure

Edited by Psalmist

Athena! Thank you, thank you for the welcome!

I am terribly sorry for my delay. I don't receive email notifications so I forgot to check it again. Is that normal? Or do you all receive some notifications?

Yes, those are good novels for sure

If you click on your member name at the top right of the screen, then on 'Settings', then on 'Notification Options', you should be able to set what you want to receive emails for. I'm not sure what it's set to by default, I think it might not email you by default unless you change it. But if you tick the right boxes you should be able to get emails. Let me know if you checked the right boxes but are still not receiving emails.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, and (a very belated :blush2: ) welcome to the forum!

Very recently I finished The Penultimate Truth by Philip K Dick. It was pretty good, but I do find a lot of his books intimidating. I'm always worried I won't understand them, so I'm nervous when I start reading them. :blush2: