Windows10 hijack

vodkafan

Well, although I don't like what they did there is always an upside to every situation. It is forcing me to look into every nook and crannie on my laptop and have a good clean out of things that I no longer needed. I have backed up my half finished novel and associated notes and all my family pictures safely onto lots of memory sticks so I know they are safe. The laptop is nearly empty. So over the next couple of weeks I am going to experiment freely with Windows10. I can't deny that men do like to have a tinker about with something new. I wont be using Edge or Onedrive. I will look at the other features in turn to see whether I like them better than the old equivalents.  

Well, although I don't like what they did there is always an upside to every situation. It is forcing me to look into every nook and crannie on my laptop and have a good clean out of things that I no longer needed. I have backed up my half finished novel and associated notes and all my family pictures safely onto lots of memory sticks so I know they are safe. The laptop is nearly empty. So over the next couple of weeks I am going to experiment freely with Windows10. I can't deny that men do like to have a tinker about with something new. I wont be using Edge or Onedrive. I will look at the other features in turn to see whether I like them better than the old equivalents.  

Husband had it on his machine that went kaput, and he just installed it on the computer we bought 2nd hand.  Mine is scheduled to download tonight.  /worried sigh/  :)

There is a looooooonnnnnggggg list in the beginning of stuff that you do or don't want.  Naturally Microsoft has everything checked "yes".  But it's easy enough to uncheck all of that.  Which I will be busy doing tomorrow.  :D

Charles didn't like Edge either, but I'll give it a try.  I can always switch to IE.

btw.......it isn't only men that like to tinker....... :P  :giggle2:

Husband had it on his machine that went kaput, and he just installed it on the computer we bought 2nd hand.  Mine is scheduled to download tonight.  /worried sigh/  :)

There is a looooooonnnnnggggg list in the beginning of stuff that you do or don't want.  Naturally Microsoft has everything checked "yes".  But it's easy enough to uncheck all of that.  Which I will be busy doing tomorrow.  :D

Charles didn't like Edge either, but I'll give it a try.  I can always switch to IE.

btw.......it isn't only men that like to tinker....... :P  :giggle2:

I decided to stay with Edge. I like it. btw, tinker all you like, but you will not catch us. :)

I decided to stay with Edge. I like it. btw, tinker all you like, but you will not catch us. :)

(bolding above mine, for emphasis)

Hah!  Spare me the chauvinistic approach! :D

Edited by pontalba

Edge is trying to be the browser that does things [Microsoft] right, whilst ignoring how everyone else does things, consequently a lot of web pages (including this forum) don't display correctly.

I've set my preference for IE on Windows 10 at work, but that seems to be having occasional problems now as well.

Hey-ho.

Edit: It's so odd how some people don't seem to struggle with Win10 at all, meaning there are no new stuffing messing them around, and then in vodkafan's case, it's really upsetting the whole system and internet access  :banghead:    Sorry to hear what hot mess it's been for you, VF! 

After the download, you're presented with several pages of yes/no preference questions.  Of course Microsoft has them all "yes".  I just put "no" for everything.  I don't want Cortana, for example.  At least not until I understand it more thoroughly.  Seems intrusive to me. 

Edge is trying to be the browser that does things [Microsoft] right, whilst ignoring how everyone else does things, consequently a lot of web pages (including this forum) don't display correctly.

I've set my preference for IE on Windows 10 at work, but that seems to be having occasional problems now as well.

Hey-ho.

Hmmm, interesting.  I wonder why.  My Win 10 downloaded Sunday night as per schedule and went very smoothly.  I'm on Edge right now and haven't had any problems with it.  Although funnily enough when I click on a link in an email i.e. from this forum or any newsletter, it comes up in IE!  Weirdness.  But no bother.  It'll all shake out eventually. 

Well, for one thing, supposedly after July Win 10 won't be a free upgrade.  I have to think that Microsoft doesn't want a lot of dissatisfied grumbles about that.  But it's true, they are awfully highhanded, imo.

Added in Edit:  Plus, afaik, they won't be putting out security updates on Win 7, 8, 8.1 after a while.  How long I don't know.

Edited by pontalba

Hmmm, interesting.  I wonder why.  My Win 10 downloaded Sunday night as per schedule and went very smoothly.  I'm on Edge right now and haven't had any problems with it.  Although funnily enough when I click on a link in an email i.e. from this forum or any newsletter, it comes up in IE!  Weirdness.  But no bother.  It'll all shake out eventually.

This sounds like it has something to do with which browser is set as default for links in e-mails. If you want to make it the Edge browser, the Edge browser should have an option for it somewhere I would think. I have no experience with Edge though, but I know IE as well as other browsers have options about which browser should be the default browser. Alternatively, I don't know which e-mail program you are using, if any, but it might be in the options for that program instead.

I believe that there will be security updates for some time yet, just no improvements.

Just looked it up - 2020. My mum, for example, feels she'll need a new laptop before then, and would rather not risk her old laptop having problems if she upgrades to 10.

This sounds like it has something to do with which browser is set as default for links in e-mails. If you want to make it the Edge browser, the Edge browser should have an option for it somewhere I would think. I have no experience with Edge though, but I know IE as well as other browsers have options about which browser should be the default browser. Alternatively, I don't know which e-mail program you are using, if any, but it might be in the options for that program instead.

I think you're right.  I'll come across it, it's no problem anyhow. :)  Thanks. :)

I believe that there will be security updates for some time yet, just no improvements.

Just looked it up - 2020. My mum, for example, feels she'll need a new laptop before then, and would rather not risk her old laptop having problems if she upgrades to 10.

Hmmm, 2020.  Thanks for that. :)  But I have to say that the three and a half years will go pretty fast! :)

As far as updating an older laptop, I have to agree.  It's not a lot of use on a computer that isn't a touch screen anyhow, I suppose.  I am not sure if we'll upgrade on the two laptops we have, as they are about 5 years old as it is.