Windows10 hijack

vodkafan

I am as mad as a bee in a bottle. Last night I turned my computer on and went to have a bath. I came out 15 minutes later and my laptop was upgrading itself to Windows10. I never authorized it to do this or clicked anything to ask for it, ever.

I couldn't stop it. It took about 2 hours.

Everything is different. It has taken me an hour this morning just to reconnect to the internet, it wouldn't at first allow me to use the ISP network that I pay for! It has all sorts of defaults and intrusive apps that try to push me certain ways. I have disabled loads of crap so far. 

Everything is different. I don't even know how to drag and drop from one window to another. I can't get two folders to be open at the same time.

:banghead:  :o  :banghead:  :banghead:

How assanine is that?!?! I would be so pissed off too!!

I did some Googling, maybe these articles can help:

How to roll back your Windows 10 upgrade

First aid for forced Windows 10 upgrades

Roll back from Windows 10

I don't know if any of these contain any useful information to you, but I hope they do and that you can undo the update and go back to your previous Windows without any trouble.

You too?! I'm a Mac person, but I spoke to my mum earlier and she said the same thing happened to her. She now can't connect to the Internet and will have to ring for help tomorrow. (I'd try to help but I'm too far away and it's very difficult trying to do these things over the phone.) I wasn't sure if she was mistaken when she said it was trying to upgrade to 10 without her permission, but now I know it's true!

@ Athena: I will check those articles out thank you.

@ Michelle: I do have automatic upgrades but I thought for something of this magnitude they would need my permission. I have been having the "reminders" pop ups for ages but i always just got rid of them and never said yes.

I think when I looked it up that it said that Windows 10 had been added to the list of updates, so it would therefore install automatically. I always have mine set to download but ask before installing, so I can see what's going on. 

I have a few laptops floating around at home, and I've upgraded 2 of them from 8 to 10, with only minor problems. I'd be very cautious going from 7 to 10 though, which is what my mum would do.

You too?! I'm a Mac person, but I spoke to my mum earlier and she said the same thing happened to her. She now can't connect to the Internet and will have to ring for help tomorrow. (I'd try to help but I'm too far away and it's very difficult trying to do these things over the phone.) I wasn't sure if she was mistaken when she said it was trying to upgrade to 10 without her permission, but now I know it's true!

I went directly to "connections" and located my normal ISP from all the options, but it would not let me connect to it. When I went to the control panel it had installed T mobile as my default. I had to delete this and put in manually my required ISP and the password. I suspect your mum might have to do the same.  

I have the GWX stopper software installed as well.  I already have Windows 10 on my laptop, and don't think so much of it -- so I certainly have no intention of putting it on my main PC where I do the bulk of my work.  I believe that it would have a compatibility problem with the motherboard in any case.

It infuriates me how Microsoft are attempting to force this upgrade through, even when people are saying "no".  

The good news is, this should all stop after July, when the free upgrade offer expires.  :)  

I think when I looked it up that it said that Windows 10 had been added to the list of updates, so it would therefore install automatically. I always have mine set to download but ask before installing, so I can see what's going on. 

There is no guarantee that will stop it installing; Windows will quite often install updates on shut down even if set to ask your permission first.

I have turned the automatic updates on my PC off altogether and go through the list of updates and remove the Windows 10 one every time I run updates manually.

Look for update KB 3035583; this is the one that will start the upgrade and is now listing as an Important Update.

If already installed, this can be removed from your computer using add/remove programs (you will need to check the box to list Windows updates as well).

Michelle is right, Windows 10 is being shifted to the recommended updates and so it becomes an automatic download. I wonder what's prompting Microsoft to this extreme action.

They want everyone on the same, supportable OS - they don't want the same situation they had with XP where people were still using it 10 years after it was released.

They want everyone on the same, supportable OS - they don't want the same situation they had with XP where people were still using it 10 years after it was released.

Then they should make software that people actually want to upgrade to (i.e., software that gets better with each release, not worse!)  :giggle2:

I have a few laptops floating around at home, and I've upgraded 2 of them from 8 to 10, with only minor problems. I'd be very cautious going from 7 to 10 though, which is what my mum would do.

I just noticed that notice this morning.  I'm going to go ahead and update.......this desktop is a touch screen, and husband has already upgraded to 10, and likes it.  I have 8.1 at present on this machine, but Windows 7 on the other laptops. 

I chose to update mine early to Windows 10, I didn't realise it would just do it automatically anyway, that does seem wrong! 

I didn't have any problems with mine opening multiple folders or dragging and dropping though - I'm fairly sure all that stayed the same for me. The only thing I did work out is that the new default internet browser, microsoft edge, doesn't work properly with quite a few things (including this website!) but I just installed google chrome and used that instead.

Maybe you could contact windows support and see if something is making yours act weird?

I just noticed that notice this morning.  I'm going to go ahead and update.......this desktop is a touch screen, and husband has already upgraded to 10, and likes it.  I have 8.1 at present on this machine, but Windows 7 on the other laptops. 

I also upgraded to 10 and like it. :)

By coincidence, my PC at work is going to be upgraded to Windows 10 tomorrow.

I have used it to test software in the past, and found it far better to use than 8/8.1, but how well this goes will determine whether I upgrade at home as well.

My Boss's computer did the upgrading on its own  :censored:   Boss was so mad about it! It screwed up the format of a few really important documents for her (ones that she uses on a daily basis for business) and she was freaking out about it. Luckily I managed to fix the format for her. She would've had to call her son or nephew for it, otherwise, and it might've taken some time for them to be able to come to the rescue... 

Later that day, my own computer was doing a 10 minute countdown to when it was going to start the upgrade, while I was in the shower. Thank goodness I came out in time. And thank you so much for this thread, VF, and thanks for all you guys' advice. I've downloaded the GWX Stopper. Thanks!!!!!  :flowers2:  :friends3:

Edit: It's so odd how some people don't seem to struggle with Win10 at all, meaning there are no new stuffing messing them around, and then in vodkafan's case, it's really upsetting the whole system and internet access  :banghead:    Sorry to hear what hot mess it's been for you, VF! 

Edited by frankie

My Boss's computer did the upgrading on its own  :censored:   Boss was so mad about it! It screwed up the format of a few really important documents for her (ones that she uses on a daily basis for business) and she was freaking out about it. Luckily I managed to fix the format for her. She would've had to call her son or nephew for it, otherwise, and it might've taken some time for them to be able to come to the rescue... 

Later that day, my own computer was doing a 10 minute countdown to when it was going to start the upgrade, while I was in the shower. Thank goodness I came out in time. And thank you so much for this thread, VF, and thanks for all you guys' advice. I've downloaded the GWX Stopper. Thanks!!!!!  :flowers2:  :friends3:

Edit: It's so odd how some people don't seem to struggle with Win10 at all, meaning there are no new stuffing messing them around, and then in vodkafan's case, it's really upsetting the whole system and internet access  :banghead:    Sorry to hear what hot mess it's been for you, VF! 

Hi Frankie well, apart from the internet problem which is now fixed, the system is working well enough, it's just that I don't like how intrusive it is and how it keeps trying to push me to do stuff I am not happy doing. 

One of the big bugbears for me is that it has taken everything in my hard drive: documents, all my family photos that were in folders, and put them all in a cloud and also has started arranging them on it's own into albums. I like to do my own albums thank you. I am seriously thinking about uninstalling or at least disabling the Onedrive so nothing is stored in the cloud where the US government can look at it so easily.

One thing I miss the loss of is all the old games like chess and mahjong, that were on the hard drive. These have all been got rid of and there are only "App"  games that I must play online instead. I will uninstall  all these. 

Edited by vodkafan

Aggressively forcing users to update is just plain wrong; it should always be the user's choice what they do with the their computer.

I'm surprised this isn't getting them into trouble from a legal POV.

I totally agree, Raven.

Aggressively forcing users to update is just plain wrong; it should always be the user's choice what they do with the their computer.

I'm surprised this isn't getting them into trouble from a legal POV.

Agreed!

VF, I hope you can get things sorted :(.