Books you can't finish

Been struggling to get on with Life After Life ~ Kate Atkinson.....too much jumping back and forward and can't/couldn't get to grips with it. Thinking I might just abandon now, but too long since I picked it up to read.

Been struggling to get on with Life After Life ~ Kate Atkinson.....too much jumping back and forward and can't/couldn't get to grips with it. Thinking I might just abandon now, but too long since I picked it up to read.

I liked the idea of that book, but just couldn't get into it!

This still amuses me :giggle:

Glad I've amused you! :lol:

Yep, I had to give up on it (or maybe I skimmed it through to the end).

I liked the idea of that book, but just couldn't get into it!

That was exactly my thoughts on it. :smile:

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I haven't gone past 40 pages and every time I try to resume reading I find myself unable to do so. I know it is supposed to be a great book but it is not my cup of tea I guess  

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. I haven't gone past 40 pages and every time I try to resume reading I find myself unable to do so. I know it is supposed to be a great book but it is not my cup of tea I guess

Okay, I'm so glad to hear someone else say that. I have tried five of six times, and literally fall asleep every time I try. I'd say it's about 40 pages in, as well.

Okay, I'm so glad to hear someone else say that. I have tried five of six times, and literally fall asleep every time I try. I'd say it's about 40 pages in, as well.

That's disappointing... it's a book I've been waiting to read forever!

Me three!!  :readingtwo:    So snore inducing.  I mean, I like/love convoluted, twisty stories but sheesh!  :roll::D

That's disappointing... it's a book I've been waiting to read forever!

Good Luck!  :alc:  Alcohol may be necessary...........

Edited by pontalba

Me three!!  :readingtwo:    So snore inducing.  I mean, I like/love convoluted, twisty stories but sheesh!  :roll::D

Good Luck!  :alc:  Alcohol may be necessary...........

Ha! Spoken like a true Louisiana girl. I always thought it was just me, but apparently I'm in good company around here.

I had to put that book down because I felt as though everyone had the same name. I was getting so confused on what was happening and since I didn't care about any of the characters, it was not hard to stop reading it.

I recently gave up on Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler.  I'd heard tons about it and critics seemed to be going nuts for it, but I thought it was pretty boring. I think I only made it to around 8% on my Kindle.  I usually don't quit that early, but I just didn't foresee it getting any better for me. I liked the writing, just not much of a plot.  I was looking so forward to it too! :cry:

I recently gave up on Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler.  I'd heard tons about it and critics seemed to be going nuts for it, but I thought it was pretty boring. I think I only made it to around 8% on my Kindle.  I usually don't quit that early, but I just didn't foresee it getting any better for me. I liked the writing, just not much of a plot.  I was looking so forward to it too! :cry:

At least you figured out early that you didn't want to finish it and didn't waste your time. If it wasn't captivating then, then chances are it won't hook you later.

At least you figured out early that you didn't want to finish it and didn't waste your time. If it wasn't captivating then, then chances are it won't hook you later.

Very true.  There are too many books in the world that I want to read to waste my time on something not for me.  Such a disappointment though.

• 1 month later...

I almost couldn't finish The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I forced myself to finish it but I might as well have stopped, I didn't enjoy it very much.

when I reread the Hobbit I couldn't finish it either, even though I absolutely loved it when I first read it at the age of 13. When I read it again several years later I lost interest about halfway through, I don't know why. I didn't read much back then though so maybe I was just in a general reading slump ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...