Your Book Activity - May 2016

frankie

^ All you D. H. Lawrence people: I found LC'sL really boring, too, but I haven't sworn off of him... There's one other book by him I want to try out but I can't remember which one it is. 

I have 10 pages left of The Last of the Bowmans and I'm dreading it... Poor book! It's been a good one but I'm just not in the mood for reading! :blush: 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given up on The Ice Twins. It's just dire! :doh:

Now I'm reading Gillespie and I by Jane Harris. I loved her debut, The Observations, so I have high hopes for this one.

*snorts* Hahahaha :lol: I don't blame you at all! Hope you enjoy your next read. Looked them up, and put The Observations on my wishlist :)

I finished The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton. I then realised (after Bobbly mentioning it) that Sister was already on my Goodreads wishlist. That's the second time this week I've wound up reading a book by an author I didn't realisee was already on my wishlist or TBR with another book! :lol:

I liked TQoS, but it wasn't amazing. The writing was very good though, so I'll definitely check out Sister too. 

I'm now reading Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel, which I'm really enjoying so far.

Finished The Strangest Family by Janice Holden early this morning: a huge doorstopper of a read that has taken me just on a fortnight to complete (with a couple of small diversions). Fascinating, very readable, if perhaps a mite overlong, portrait of the Hanoverians, focusing primarily on George III and his family.  Moving on to Neil Macgregor's Germany: Memories of a Nation next, part of my reading before holidaying in northern Germany this summer.

I wondered why I could not find my book reading for the month and realised we are in a new month, oh dear.  Was on holiday last week so did not get much reading done I'm afraid.

Being back at work brought Summer Nights at the Moonlight Hotel by Jane Costello to read during lunch it has had me laughing out loud already. Bodes well for the rest of the book.

*snorts* Hahahaha :lol: I don't blame you at all! Hope you enjoy your next read. Looked them up, and put The Observations on my wishlist :)

Ooh, The Observations was great. Gillespie and I is good too. I hope to finish it in a couple of days. :boogie:

I finished The Last of the Bowmans the other day, and started Here's Looking at You by Mhairi McFarlane the day before yesterday and finished it yesterday. Since then I've started re-reading Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs :smile2: 

Finished Sleeping Giants by Sylvian Neuvel. I really liked it, but it did feel quite 2 dimensional just reading endless interviews. Will definitely read the next book though.

Tearing through Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt and really enjoying it. 

About 100 pages into The Transcriptionist by Amy Rowland. I've put off starting it for awhile, but I'm actually really enjoying it. It's slow-moving (perhaps deliberate is a better word?) and unique. It's set in the recent past, but it seems ages ago, so it's a bit surreal to me.

Amazon recommended a trilogy called The Legend of Zero, I started book one today (Forging Zero) and read the first 100 pages. It's described as a post apocalyptic, sci-fi thriller of alien invasion, space opera and sprawling first contact science fiction :P. Enjoying it and reading again after a dry spell.

Anna, that sounds interesting :).

I'm currently reading Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 6: De Lange Winter (Little House 6: The Long Winter). It might be odd to read this in May but I can still somewhat imagine the cold the characters are going through. Such hard times!

It's been a little while since I've posted here, and I've had quite a bit of bookish activity. I visited a new bookshop and bought Public Library and other stories by Ali Smith as it's out in paperback now. I also popped into a favourite Waterstone's and bought a couple of books from the Wainwright Prize long list - Landmarks by Robert Macfarlane and The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks which were on the buy one get one half price offer.

Reading wise, I've finished Lies, Damned Lies and History by Jodi Taylor, Common Ground by Rob Cowen and Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine. I'm just about to start The Shepherd's Life this morning.

I finished Gillespie and I by Jane Harris. It's one of those books that messes with your head....you have to make up your own mind about what happened, and there are arguments for both sides. A great read, but a bit too long.

Now I've started Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield. :readingtwo:

Moving on to Neil Macgregor's Germany: Memories of a Nation next, part of my reading before holidaying in northern Germany this summer.

About two-thirds of the way through:  what a great book!  One of the best history books I've read in a very long while.  I thoroughly enjoyed Neil Macgregor's A History of the World in 100 Objects on the radio, and he brings his clear, straightforward, incisive thinking fully to bear on a pivotal nation in European history, one that we Brits have far more in common with than we all too often fully appreciate. 

I'm just over a third of the way through listening to The Mill on the Floss but I'm not enjoying it that much.  Perhaps my hopes were too high after Middlemarch, but I'm finding the narrower focus on just a single family to be a bit boring, and they all just seem to moan and whine all the time.  I'm going to finish it, as it's not only on the English Counties list, but is also my book group choice for this month, but I am struggling.  :huh:

Alongside that, I'm reading The Shepherd's Life from my Wainwright prize challenge and it's fantastic.  I'm about half the way through, and hoping to finish it this weekend. :smile2:

I finished Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence today.  :sleeping-smiley-009   Phew - I'm glad that's out of the way!

I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying The Mill on the Floss, Claire.  That' doesn't bode well...  :hide:

I finished Lady Chatterley's Lover by D H Lawrence today.  :sleeping-smiley-009   Phew - I'm glad that's out of the way!

Completed The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole this morning.  My sentiments exactly!

Prior to that, I finished Germany, Memories of a Nation yesterday afternoon, and it goes straight onto my all-time favourites list, only the 32nd non-fiction book ever to achieve six stars. Good enough that I could sit down and reread it immediately.

A weekend of contrasts!

Edited by willoyd

I finished Hex, and really liked it, but didn't like the ending. Think I would prefer to read the original Dutch version, rather than an Americanized version.

I also read The Dumb House by John Burnside. It was.... interesting. Brilliantly written and compelling, but ultimately seemed to serve no purpose and didn't resonate with me on any level at all.

Now reading Sister by Rosamund Lupton and The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey. Reserving judgement for now on both, not very far into either.

Just finished 15th Affair by James Patterson and moved onto The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson - some funny anecdotes to be had.  Also continuing with Summer Nights by Jane Costello.

Didn't have time to read much at the weekend after all, but I'm close to the end of The Shepherd's Life now, which I'm going to pick up again in a bit, so it might be finished tonight :D

I'm also only about 45 minutes from the end of The Mill on the Floss so hopefully I'll be finishing that tomorrow on my commute.