Mobile phones

bobblybear

I'm due an upgrade on my phone next month, and I just can't decide what to get. Look at phone reviews is doing my head in. :thud:

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, and I'm struggling between the Samsung S6 and S7. I don't think I can justify the cost of the S7 (approx £35/month), but I still want it. :blush2:  In all honesty, I don't need a new phone....my current one works perfectly well. But I just fancy a new gadget. :blush2: I don't use it for anything fancy, just the odd phone call, loads of texts, reading emails and browsing the net and playing games.

What phone does everyone else have? Are you happy with your phone?

I had the Galaxy S3 mini, and I recently bought the Galaxy Grand Prime. It was around €160, a decent but not snazzy phone. I love it. Big screen, pretty up to date OS, freezes a little sometimes but that could be because I have too much on it.

I'm looking for an upgrade as well. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace since 2012, but it has been a nuisance from the start. I've seen some reviews, mainly from the Youtube channels Marques Brownlee and Mobile Tech Review, and from what I gathered Samsung phones use a modified version of Android with errors and bugs that a stock Android phone doesn't have. My suggestion is that you could look into the Nexus brand if you're looking for an Android, or you could get an iPhone. For cheaper alternatives, you could look into these: Xiaomi mi 4i, Motorola Moto G, Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3, Asus Zenphone 2, OnePlus One.

Apple iPhone 5s owner here and I'm perfectly happy with it.  I won't get the 6 because I hate large phones, but if and when the time ever comes I might get the new SE because thankfully Apple went back down to a smaller size.  I'm really resistant to getting new phones though when something I have is still working perfectly.  I've always liked the look of the Apple and the interface as well, and it's super fast which is important to me.

I have a Galaxy S3 Mini and have had it for a couple of years now. I wish it had a bit more storage space (for apps) but aside from that I'm pretty happy with it. I don't like big phones, I like this smaller size. I don't normally get a new phone until the old one stops working. They cost a lot of money, and I don't spend a lot of money on my prepaid SIM. I don't like subscriptions, they're pretty much impossible to get here if you want a low monthly cost. Sometimes I'm a little envious of all those people who get the brand new releases, but I cannot afford it and wouldn't use up the minutes and MBs. I'm at home a lot and I use the wifi for messaging if I'm at home. For phoning anyone I use the housephone if I'm at home.

A few months ago I did try to use an old iPhone that someone had leftover, but after trying it I decided I prefer Android over Apple's system and stuck with my current phone.

I hope you manage to make a decision you're happy with, BB :). I had no idea Samsung already had an S7 out. I don't really follow "phone news", the S5 was the last one I really read much about (shows where I've been hiding :giggle2:).

I have a Samsung Galaxy J5, I think. It's my first smart phone, and I've only had it for 5 months, but I completely love it :smile2: It's a bit bigger than what some might have, but I personally don't mind it, even though it's sometimes hard to handle. I like it that the screen's big. 

Edited by frankie

A friend at work has the J5 and I've also considered that one. I used to be anti 'big phones' but now I want one with a bigger screen, purely because I play games on it and it's also easier to browse the net. :dunno: That's actually the main reason I want a new phone....purely for the bigger screen. Once I get a new phone, I don't think I will upgrade again for a while....but I don't know for sure. :blush2:  All my other phones, I've kept for several years and they've all been PAYG so I'm new to this upgrade thing.

I've never been interested in an iPhone....I've always preferred Android. I've never even heard of the Galaxy Grand Prime or the Galaxy Ace....I don't think they've come up as available on my current provider. Looks like I will have to do more research. :doh:

I got a Samsung Galaxy A3 last August on an EE contract that is only £14.99 a month.  I like it, as it's not one of these stoopid size slabs and although it fits nicely in my pocket, it is large enough that you don't have to squint at everything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I received my new smartphone last week, the LG Nexus 5X. I'm really enjoying it, it has clean and fast software, a good build quality, and a good camera. Unfortunately the battery doesn't last long and the fingerprint reader is a bit faulty, but those are minor issues. I recommend it if you want a mid-range smartphone in specs and price.

Glad you like the S7 after getting it. I also have the S7, I was hesitant about it as there were other Samsung ones 10 euro or so a month cheaper, but a friend really recommended the S7 to me and after using it for a while I agree it is fantastic - by far the best smart phone I have ever had (however, I have not had all that many). The screen, the camera, the speed, all great.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone, for multiple reasons. There are days where I have to charge up my phone twice a day because the battery goes down so quickly. There are other days where it doesn't seem to use up much at all (and I'm not using my phone a whole lot on some of both types of days). I've already replaced the battery once before, but it's only been a few months since I bought that replacement. There isn't enough space on my phone, I keep having to delete apps and files because somehow the space keeps being used up (it didn't have much space to begin with, though). I can't really update all the apps because of lack of space, so I'm only updating the most necessary ones (and I've restored all the stuff that it comes with, that I don't use, to factory defaults). I can't install any new bigger apps because of lack of space (I kind of want to try Pokémon Go, but my phone is too old for it anyway, it won't run on the Android version). So, I think after 3? 4? years I want a new phone. My SIM is still a normal SIM though, so I'm going to have to change it into a smaller SIM. But I'm excited.

• 4 weeks later...

I must be one of the only people left on earth that still has a pay-as-you go.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Fame (I think that's what it's called) and although it may not be as fancy as some of the ones out there right now I am perfectly happy with it.  To be honest with you I only use mine for making/receiving calls and texting so I don't need anything more fancy than what I've got.  I'm not into social media so I'm not on Facebook or Instagram and as I spend all day, every day on a computer at work the last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my time glued to the screen of my phone.  I like keeping my phone as a phone, my laptop for computer work and my iPod for music.  I don't like having one gadget that does everything - call me old fashioned but there you go, that's just the way I feel.

* Not that there's anything wrong with being glued to the screen of your phone - it's just not for me!

I have pay-as-you-go (which we call prepaid here), I don't have a subscription where I pay a monthly amount but instead I can choose when to top it up. I bought my phone seperately. I don't use it much for phoning, texting and 3G. I mainly use the wireless internet, the camera etc.

I always joked that one day they're going to incorporate a microwave function in your phone and you could use it to prepare food :P. I think I get what you mean about keeping things seperate. Some things I much prefer to do on my computer rather than my phone. I have a proper camera that I use for taking photos, but if I find myself somewhere where I didn't bring my camera, I use my phone to take a picture. The pictures of my new phone look so much better than those of my old phone.

Well, to each their own, anyway :).

I think I get what you mean about keeping things seperate.

Yeah, I do think some people tend to rely on their phones a little too much.  I know it's a lifeline to a lot of people and it's always good to be able to contact people or be contactable in an emergency but you can't walk down the street these days without noticing that the majority of people are glued to their screens, texting, emailing etc.  Don't they want to switch off sometimes?

I could easily live without my mobile.  Couldn't say the same about my iPod though, I love that thing to death and would never ever give that up.  Not in a million years.

I must be one of the only people left on earth that still has a pay-as-you go.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Fame (I think that's what it's called) and although it may not be as fancy as some of the ones out there right now I am perfectly happy with it.  To be honest with you I only use mine for making/receiving calls and texting so I don't need anything more fancy than what I've got.  I'm not into social media so I'm not on Facebook or Instagram and as I spend all day, every day on a computer at work the last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my time glued to the screen of my phone.  I like keeping my phone as a phone, my laptop for computer work and my iPod for music.  I don't like having one gadget that does everything - call me old fashioned but there you go, that's just the way I feel.

* Not that there's anything wrong with being glued to the screen of your phone - it's just not for me!

You're not alone, Autumn. I only use mine for texting and often get by with 60 a month for $3 :blush2:

You're not alone, Autumn. I only use mine for texting and often get by with 60 a month for $3 :blush2:

Yay!  So glad there's someone else like me out there.  I topped up my phone with £40 of credit towards the beginning of the year and I still have £24 left.   :giggle2:

I have a Motorola Moto E which I paid about £70 for about a year ago now. Before that I had a very basic smartphone made by Vodafone. It didn't have nearly enough memory on it for my needs, hence the need for a better one. I am very happy with it. It works well, and has all the storage capacity that I need. I chose to buy the phone outright rather than having a contract as I am not one of these people that feels the need to constantly upgrade to a bigger and better one, so it is better value for me to buy the phone outright rather than leasing it, which is what contract phones effectively are. I have a SIM only contract with Vodafone for which I pay about £10 a month. I have getting through a lot more data though recently so may decide to upgrade to their next highest plan, which costs about £2 a month more. There are other networks that are cheaper, but Vodafone is about the only network that has a decent signal where I live, and in other remote areas which I tend to visit, so it is probably better that I stick with them.  

I just did an upgrade, a Samsung S6 to an S7. I think I've found my perfect phone. I'm one that uses all my gadgets. I can access my powerpoint and word documents on my tablet and my phone which comes in handy as I have a lot of stuff for my classes I need access to. As a matter of fact, last Monday I failed to print out my lab paperwork and had to use my phone to pull it up. My tablet, cell and laptop are very dear to me, lol!!! :D

My phone has everything I need. I listen to my favorite podcasts while walking to class, watch Netflix when its slow and I have to wait (and failed to bring my tablet so I can read) and I can read magazines, not to mention taking pictures and playing solitaire! I've searched for the "perfect for me" phone and have found it so I don't foresee me switching for a long while. I don't even have to worry about storage as I can purchase storage expansion. I like that because this is usually the reason for my upgrading. I'm really good about not installing a bunch of useless apps and I'm always cleaning up my cache. It allows me to install larger apps that I use between my tablet and laptop.

I'm still on prepay too. I recently bought my first brand new phone in years (I had been living with hand-me-downs a couple of generations behind since for about 10 years). Turns out €200 doesn't get you a great phone anymore. It's alright, but I would put money into my next phone, as I rely on it quite heavily.

I'm trying to reduce my use of social media in general, so I've taken Facebook and Messenger off my phone, but I still have Whatsapp which I use for direct communcation, and Snapchat because I like taking ridiculous pictures of my everyday life and sharing them with the poor unfortunates who added me without knowing what they were in for :giggle2: I also use my phone as an alarm, for calendar and calculator reference and for making memos (usually shopping lists). I use it for a few other things too, even just like seeing what time it is, so I'd be pretty stuck without it.