Judy's just discovered list.

I want to deepen my range of reading, so now when I find an author who really resonates with me, I am going to try and track down all they have written. So far I have discovered and I am really enjoying Helen Dunmore.

I thought The Betrayal gave a  a real insight into life in 1950's Leningrad, and the claustrophobia and terror of living under State Security.

The Greatcoat is a much lighter read but still a page turner.

Currently reading The Lie which is the saddest and most poignant novel I have read about the after effects of WW1 on an essentially decent man.

The Betrayal sounds interesting.  You may enjoy The Stalin Epigram by Robert Littell. 

I've too many authors that I have to read all of their books!  :D  Vladimir Nabokov, John Banville and his doppelganger Benjamin Black, William Faulkner, Paul Auster, Harlan Coben, and heaven help me, Diana Gabaldon.......more...../sigh/ :D

Ooh that's a challenge. Do you like a lighter read? I would say Will Warburton.  If you are interested in late Victorian manners and relationships I would say In The Year Of Jubilee or The Odd Women.

Thank you both for these ideas. Which would be a good first novel to try for Paul Auster?

And for George Gissing?

For Paul Auster, my favorites probably are in no particular order:

The Music of Chance

Travels in the  Scriptorium

Man in the Dark

Book of Illusions

Moon Palace

While I finally, on my second reading absolutely loved The New York Trilogy, it takes some getting used to. :)

• 1 year later...