Kindle Oasis

Raven

Yikes!! £269.99!! :thud: I won't be getting it as I'm very happy with my Paperwhite. I'll be surprised if many people buy it as I can't see that many benefits over the Paperwhite. I know it's lighter and thinner, but that doesn't matter all that much....I mean it's not as though the Paperwhite is a brick!! :dunno:

The American price for it is $289.99, which is a lot cheaper than £269.99 :( ($1.41 is about £1, according to today's exchange rates). £269.99 seems way too much, especially for just a few improvements.

You could buy a lot of real books for that money!

The American price for it is $289.99, which is a lot cheaper than £269.99 :( ($1.41 is about £1, according to today's exchange rates). £269.99 seems way too much, especially for just a few improvements.

Wow you're right - it works out at £205 for the American one! That's crazy!

It's true of a lot of items/brands. Whenever I travel to the US, I always bring home more than I took, especially make-up and branded trainers.

Can't see me finding room for this though, even at US prices.

Yeah, I think it's not just the Kindle Oasis that has this thing of being more expensive to some countries. I'm sure it happens too with ie. other electronics, or possibly other items that come from US companies.

I can't see where the extra value in the product comes from?  Its benefit is supposed to be that it's lighter ... but only if you take it out of the case, otherwise it's heavier than my paper white.  All the other technology is the same as far as I can see.

Plus for me ... it's designed for a right handed person.  If a lefty uses it, the power button is on the bottom, so you can't rest it on the table to read without it switching off (although that's also a design flaw in my paper white too, but it's not exactly in the centre, so you can sort of get away with it).

I assume that you can ... there is one picture on the full list that shows it up the other way, so I guess you just turn it upside down to use it left handed.  I hope they change the function of the buttons when you turn it upside down to use as well, otherwise the page up and page down would be the wrong way around as well as the power at the bottom.

It's really bizarre that they'd charge so much more for what appears to be essentially the same product! Just look at the last two columns! In fact, I like it less; I would want my screen to be 'centred'. It would drive me nuts having it to one side.  :blush2: And it's $450 in Australia. :o I'll stick with my iPad thanks.

ETA: The price is because of the cover, which apparently extends the battery life and means you don't have to charge as often.

ETA: The price is because of the cover, which apparently extends the battery life and means you don't have to charge as often.

Even with daily use, the Paperwhite only needs charging once a month - if that - and this is with WiFi on all the time!! I don't think they will sell that many....I don't see how they can justify the price. :thud:

Absolutely agree. I read mine a LOT, but don't tend to leave the Wi-fi on but use the light quite often, and I reckon I only charge mine once a month too. It seems ridiculously overpriced and I can't really see many benefits at all. Even if my Paperwhite broke, I don't think I'd consider this one as an alternative ... possibly the Voyager, but even they seem a pretty high price for not much extra, so I'd probably stick with another Paperwhite. With any luck, the new model will actually drive down the price of the Paperwhite over time, so if I did have to replace mine, it would be even cheaper! :D

Agreed! The battery life on the Paperwhite is wonderful and I'm not willing to pay any more to extend it further. Why bother?

Hopefully we can all enjoy cheap deals when it comes to replacing them!

• 7 months later...

I may be a bit of a sucker but I have just picked one of these up. Normally I would have run a mile from the price but I had a few Amazon vouchers left over from last Christmas so I didn't have to dip into my pocket too much. I am a bit of a minimalist and I travel a lot so I take a 1st generation paperwhite with me everywhere I go. Unfortunately I recently broke the screen on it by sitting on in a hotel restaurant and have been without a Kindle since I did it. Although I haven't done a lot of reading recently I had been using it a lot for studying and all my textbooks were on it. Having to rely on my laptop to access my textbooks I quickly realised how much I have grown to like E-ink displays for reading.

Anyway, on to the device. It's quite small, about the size and shape of a CD case if you can remember what they look like :D. I have to admit the shape strikes me as odd so it will be interesting to see how I get on with it.

I know it's the lightest Kindle made (without the case) but it's not that much lighter that its particularly noticeable. The screen is a step up on my Paperwhite in terms of quality, however, it should be noted that I had a 1st generation Paperwhite with a 212 PPI display and the most recent generation of the Paperwhite has a 300 PPI display the same as the Voyager and Oasis. I like the physical buttons to change pages, I had no problem with the touchscreen system but I did find it annoying when in bed holding it with the wrong hand. I also like the fact that the front face is completely flat across the screen and bezel. Is it worth the retail price? Almost certainly not.

I shall update this thread with my thoughts as I use it in the coming months.