Titles based on true stories

Hello Addicted

This sounds really interesting. I had heard of the Vale of Health in Hampstead, as being the only area of London which managed to keep out the plague. The novel about the Peak District sounds good. Was it one of the villages which actually had the plague but shut itself off from the rest of the world so as not to infect anywhere else?

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Hello Onion Budgie,

I have read both of these and found them absolutely chilling. The build up of tension in 'In Cold Blood' is almost unbearable, especially as you know that the family have no chance of escape. I will definitely re-read.

Thank you.

Hello Addicted

This sounds really interesting. I had heard of the Vale of Health in Hampstead, as being the only area of London which managed to keep out the plague. The novel about the Peak District sounds good. Was it one of the villages which actually had the plague but shut itself off from the rest of the world so as not to infect anywhere else?

Yes it was, the book was very descriptive and centred around one woman as she describes hers and others struggles in the village.

One that I'd highly recommend is called Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo.  Which is a true account of the New Jersey shore shark attacks of 1917.  It's not true crime, but oh-so interesting and fascinating!  I loved it :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd second Burial Rites - excellent read.  I've also just finished Landfalls by Naomi Williams, another first novel, based on the true story of a French expedition to the Pacific in the eighteenth century that disappeared without trace, which I'd also recommend.  In turn, that reminds that one of my favourite books is This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson, a fictionalised account of Darwin's voyage on the Beagle and his relationship with its captain Robert Fitzroy.

Edited by willoyd

Hello Addicted

The village in the Peak District is called Eyam and they have an information board and small museum about the plague.  I haven't heard of the Hampstead Vale of Health though, despite having visited the area quite often!