Yet another version of Pride and Prejudice.

JudyM

I'm not sure how I feel about the 'new improved' version of P and P which is coming out shortly. Curtis Sittenfeld is a wonderful writer and I really enjoyed American Wife which is loosely based on the life of Laura Bush. What do other folk think of updating all our favourite characters into the present day?

Sometimes I just wish writers would come up with something original, how many more versions of Pride and Prejudice do we need?  It's s bit like re-making films and TV shows, and smacks of being a bit lazy on the writer's part.

To be fair, I think you should give it some context.  The book is part of The Austen Project from Borough Press who have launched this to ask successful contemporary authors to retell Austen's stories in a modern day setting.  Already published have been:

Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope

Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid

Emma by Alexander McCall Smith

As you've mentioned Judy, The Pride and Prejudice retelling will be written by Curtis Sittenfeld and will be titled Eligible.

In that context, I don't think you can say it's lazy on the writer's part, as they've been commissioned to write the story, not just something they've decided to do on a whim.

I've already read the new Northanger Abbey and Emma.  I thought NA was great, although not without flaws and I gave me the chance to read something written by McDermid, who I find an interesting person and love to hear her talk about her books but the type of crime novel she normally writes is something I would never read.  Emma was a different kettle of fish, as I've read a lot of McCall Smith, who has a very easy style of writing which makes for a comfortable read, so to tackle Emma where you don't have a loveable heroine was an interesting diversion.  I'm one of those people who don't like Austen's version, so it was always going to be doubtful if I would love the AMS modern day story, and I have to say I didn't really like it either, but perhaps that just my own prejudice coming through.

I have S&S on my Kindle but haven't read it yet, but I've also not read any Trollope, so I don't know what to expect from that one, but I'll be reading it at some point and will judge it then.

On the other hand, Sittenfeld is a favourite author of mine.  I've loved all the books of hers I've read, and I was delighted to find out she was taking on the task of P&P, and I for one, cannot wait for Eligible.  With so much good press for it at the moment, I'm trying not to read to much as I don't want to read too much hype and then be disappointed, but I will definitely be looking to get my copy sooner rather than later.