Your Book Activity - April 2016

chesilbeach

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started Micro by Michael Crichton. It was his last book, and I think he died before it was completed so someone else stepped in and finished it off. It hasn't received many good reviews but I'm really enjoying it. I love a good techno-thriller. :D

I've got the day off so I popped to the library to return Beatrice and Virgil, and borrowed:

The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling

Bellman Black - Diane Setterfield

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

I didn't plan on borrowing anything, as I have so many books on my Kindle waiting to be read. But now I have 9 books from the library that I need to read first. :o

I didn't plan on borrowing anything, as I have so many books on my Kindle waiting to be read. But now I have 9 books from the library that I need to read first. :o

This happens to me too :P. I hope you enjoy the books you borrowed :).

I'm making good progress in Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. I'm at around 60%, page 494 out of 808. I'm enjoying the book so far.

I thought Revival was just ok, and I haven't read Finders Keepers yet. I'm waiting for it to become available at the library.

Yes I wasn't overly enamoured with Revival but Finders Keepers was much better. Not as good as Mr Mercedes though. Edited by More reading time required

This happens to me too :P. I hope you enjoy the books you borrowed :).

And me! I have 4 new books I bought with birthday money sitting untouched because of my library borrowings, plus numerous other ones on my TBR, obviously.

I bought the 2nd & 3rd books in the Long Earth series, Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman & the Mistwar sequel/prequel (whatever it is) by Brandon Sanderson.

Started reading another library book, Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. Well, I say started, I've read the intro but I haven't quite made the leap to beginning the first story over the last few days!

Yes I wasn't overly enamoured with Revival but Finders Keepers was much better. Not as good as Mr Mercedes though.

I thought the same about Revival. I liked Mr. Mercedes, but have been hesitant with Finders Keepers.

Currently on page 88 of 275 in The Illustrated Man, just read my favourite tattoo story :) Such an enjoyable read!

Just finished Rain - Four Walks in English Weather, a slim collection of four essays.  Loved Melissa Harrison's writing - just wish there had been more to the book.  But mustn't detract from what was there - beautiful.

Finished Micro by Michael Crichton. It was a bit silly.....ok very silly....but at the same time it was very readable. It was a chunky book but I got through it only 3 days.

Next up is Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon. Never read any of his books before so I don't know what to expect. :readingtwo:

I bought the 2nd & 3rd books in the Long Earth series, Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman & the Mistwar sequel/prequel (whatever it is) by Brandon Sanderson.

I hope you enjoy all these :). If you mean the Wax & Wayne books, they take place after the original Mistborn trilogy (The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning). Mistborn: The Secret History should be read after reading the Mistborn trilogy because of massive spoilers, and preferably also after reading The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning as it contains minor spoilers for those. I've only read the original Mistborn trilogy myself so far, but this is what I've read online.

Finished Micro by Michael Crichton. It was a bit silly.....ok very silly....but at the same time it was very readable. It was a chunky book but I got through it only 3 days.

I'm glad you liked this one :). I've read one book by Michael Crichton (so far), called The Andromeda Strain. I liked that one when I read it.

I'm making good progress with Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. I'm almost at 70% (page 565 out of 808).

I'm about halfway through Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld now, and I love it.  Taking my time and savouring it. :)

My book group choice for next month is going to be a challenge ... The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot.  It's also on the English Counties challenge, so that's a bonus, but it's a long book for a month long read.  Think I'll probably get the audiobook and use the Whispersync option on the Kindle to give me extra time in the car to listen as well as read.

I've got the day off so I popped to the library to return Beatrice and Virgil, and borrowed:

The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling

Bellman Black - Diane Setterfield

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

I have Bellman & Black on my TBR shelf, Bobbly.  I loved Setterfield's Thirteenth Tale so I'm looking forward to this one.  

I'm waiting for this to be available from the library. I take it, it's up to his usual high standards? :boogie:

So far so good! Notes from a Small Island is probably my least favourite of Bryson's books, so I'm interested to see how this one stacks up. :) It's delightful so far, and the tone isn't as negative as I remember it being in NfaSI. 

I have Bellman & Black on my TBR shelf, Bobbly.  I loved Setterfield's Thirteenth Tale so I'm looking forward to this one.  

I loved The Thirteenth Tale too which is why I picked this one up when it caught my eye. The premise sounds fascinating as well. :smile:

So far so good! Notes from a Small Island is probably my least favourite of Bryson's books, so I'm interested to see how this one stacks up. :) It's delightful so far, and the tone isn't as negative as I remember it being in NfaSI. 

I couldn't get on with Notes From A Small Island when I tried re-reading it a couple of years ago. I can't recall why but it just didn't agree with me. I still want to read this one though, I just need to wait for it to be available at the library.

I hope you enjoy all these :). If you mean the Wax & Wayne books, they take place after the original Mistborn trilogy (The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning). Mistborn: The Secret History should be read after reading the Mistborn trilogy because of massive spoilers, and preferably also after reading The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning as it contains minor spoilers for those. I've only read the original Mistborn trilogy myself so far, but this is what I've read online.

I think it's The Alloy of Law that I bought. And yes of course, it's Mistborn not Mistwar. I thought it didn't sound quite right. That'll teach me for being too lazy to go and find the pile of new books in the back room. :D

Finished The Go-Between, the Norfolk book in the English Counties Challenge.  I remember reading this as a teenager for school, and not being particularly enamoured.  It is really well written, but I can't say I was otherwise overwhelmed the second time round either.  3/6.

I think it's The Alloy of Law that I bought. And yes of course, it's Mistborn not Mistwar. I thought it didn't sound quite right. That'll teach me for being too lazy to go and find the pile of new books in the back room. :D

Haha :D.

I've almost finished Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton. I hope to finish it off later today. I find the book quite enjoyable. It's not as brilliant as my beloved Night's Dawn trilogy (the books I liked the most by this author), but it's definitely more enjoyable than Misspent Youth (the book by the author I liked the least)

Finished both Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld and Spectacles by Sue Perkins this afternoon.

Think I'd better start The Mill on the Floss next, as I think it could be a long read, and I might want to read something else alongside it, but need to finish it before my next book group meeting.

Given up on Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon. His writing style is not for me. Frustrating....this is the first book I've given up on this year, and stupidly I'm feeling guilty over it! :banghead:

I've started Darkly Dreaming Dexter which is more up my alley. Loving the dark humour. It makes me want to watch the TV series again.

Edited by bobblybear